House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

Famous Foreclosures

Lorne Spicer, Statto and Kery all got declared bankrupt. But have they had a house repossessed? That's what we really want to know.

That Katona **** is letting her mother's home be repo'd according to this:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/news/2009/0...15875-21042401/

First celeb repo can't be far away. Watch GMTV fawn over them... actually, don't watch GMTV, it rots your brain. :P

Edited by deflation

Not sure whether it was just a random selection bias, but a disturbingly large proportion of the celebrity foreclosures were amongst african americans and I wasn't even counting Michael Jackson.

Perhaps is just there are more African American pop stars and sports stars as these professions seemed to feature the most heavily..

Perhaps is just there are more African American pop stars and sports stars as these professions seemed to feature the most heavily..

I think you're right, in a general sense. But becoming a pop star or sports star doesn't necessarily mean you're blessed with sound financial acumen and I don't think any of these people knew how to get the right advice. If you come from, say, old money, you're bound to have a much better crack at it.

Don't know what'll happen to Michael Vick, but he brought all of this upon himself.

It would be interesting to know more about the Courtney Love story - as the widow of Kurt Kobain I can't imagine she'll ever be short of cash.

As I have posted on here numerous times before, being a celeb on TV is not a guarantee of wealth. Yes, a few such as Vorderman, Ant & Dec, Ross and some newsreaders wrangle themselves silly money deals. But a lot of people you see on the box either are on pretty average wages or they might get paid a few grand for a day's work but then only have 2 or 3 days work per year.

The ones on big money then make even more money from after-dinner speaking. When I worked in TV back in the 90s there was one woman whom we wanted to do some filming in Wales and her agent told us flat that she would not work outside of the M25 for less than 30K per day.

The problem that these celebs have now is that UK TV is contracting rapidly and the after-dinner speaking is also drying up. So you have more and more celebs chasing a smaller and smaller amount of work. The ones on the gold handcuffs deals really have lost touch with reality IMPO as they will come down with a bump when their contracts end - assuming that their mates who are TV execs do not sign them up again on mega deals. There are loads of unknown TV execs behind the scenes also earning silly money and they basically justify their salaries because they have to look after their expensive talent - so you can see how it becoming a nice little circle for some.

I read last year of a TV celeb who was reportedly on about a million a year and who was offered a 90% pay-cut but who subsequently refused it. I suspect she will come to regret that but it shows just how out of touch many celebs are - many people who love to earn 100K a year. Many celebs would love to earn 100K a year.

There is no need for the BBC to pay mega bucks to any newsreader or celeb. Channel 4 , Five and ITV are in dire circumstances and the only show in town now for many celebs is in fact the Beeb. If the Beeb refused to pay loads of money to these celebs where are they going to go. In the case of Ross, for example, he probably would be picked up by one of the other channels but I doubt very much he would be offered any where near 6 mill a year in the current climate.

Actually, we need MPs to take note of this and actually put pressure on the BBC to stop ramping up prices both for 'talent' and for things such as F1 and footie when, effectively, there is no one else bidding for them.

I read last year of a TV celeb who was reportedly on about a million a year and who was offered a 90% pay-cut but who subsequently refused it. I suspect she will come to regret that but it shows just how out of touch many celebs are - many people who love to earn 100K a year. Many celebs would love to earn 100K a year.

I think that's the 'Vord of the board' you're referring to. Good post. We may see a lot of tabloid 'gloating' soon over celeb financial failures. Put them on a pedestal to knock 'em down.