House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
happy_renting

Alan Sugar

BBC1 2am 24/1/09 - probably a repeat.

Alan Sugar's fortune is apparently tied up in property these days - '£500m'.

I like the guy - but I estimate that such a pratfolio would now be depreciating at £80 a minute.

i.e. almost as fast as his crappy computers did.

Sugar - you're fried.

Edited by happy_renting

I like the guy - but I estimate that such a pratfolio would now be depreciating at £80 a minute.

Sugar - you're fried.

It was £800 Million according to the last series of the apprentice.

That is one heck of a drop.

The final of the previous series featured a property he had paid £200 Million for in Central London. A ghastly building which the finalists had to come up with a new idea for.

Sugar will never be in the poor house but his property portfolio must be shrinking alarmingly.

Easy to pour scorn. How does your business empire and personal wealth a measure against Alan Sugars' ?

Maybe you should read my post again. I give him full credit for what he has achieved.

Being a star in one field does not automatically mean you are a star in all others.

The prime example being Krusty who may be able to find some nice houses within a set budget but that does not make her an economics expert.

Sugar will never be in the poor house but his property portfolio must be shrinking alarmingly.

If they are not mortgaged I share your optimism. However like the case that has been discussed on here recently of the baby boomers that bought a house for £10K that is now worth £400K but they remortgaged it to the £400k and can't meet repayments. These people should never have been in the pour house, the financial boom of the last 40 years were an incredible gift for many born at the right time but many have been affected by winners curse.

If Alan sugar was aware of the environment that has helped make him (he is still clearly a very good sales man) he would not have been going into property in 2007.

I have been saying since before I knew he had gone all in on property that Alan Sugar would make the headlines for his changed circumstances within 5 years. I have held this view for 2 years and still believe this will be the case especially with this recent error.

If they are not mortgaged I share your optimism.

Here's the thing. When you have money, particularly a lot of it, you look on it as a waste to just invest that money in something and not leverage it. Say you have £500 million, do you go and buy a £500 million company? No, you get a £1 or £2 billion company with 25-50% deposit. Of COURSE you do (or you do if you follow what used to be standard business thinking).

So it Amstrad has a £500-800 million portfolio I would expect its actual investment to be in the region of £200-250 million. In which case, with the high street shops it leases to going out of business things may not be rosy at all for Amstrad.

Easy to pour scorn. How does your business empire and personal wealth a measure against Alan Sugars' ?

Ever kicked open and set fire to an ant hill and then stamped on the ants as they try to escape and then tried to drown the remaining ones by p1ssing on them? Maybe not.

Many invariably escape. Is this because they are more experienced in the art of survival or because they are intellectually superior? Maybe it's because they have a positive attitude and fight on while others give up?

In fact ants are genetically identical and the reason that some survive and some get kicked over, burnt and p1ssed on is largely the same reason Alan Sugar made money while the majority dont. Luck and being in the right place at the right time.

Ever kicked open and set fire to an ant hill and then stamped on the ants as they try to escape and then tried to drown the remaining ones by p1ssing on them? Maybe not.

Many invariably escape. Is this because they are more experienced in the art of survival or because they are intellectually superior? Maybe it's because they have a positive attitude and fight on while others give up?

In fact ants are genetically identical and the reason that some survive and some get kicked over, burnt and p1ssed on is largely the same reason Alan Sugar made money while the majority dont. Luck and being in the right place at the right time.

like the analogy and good points but don't underestimate the influence of; making, using and *treating* (bunging) contacts that can help you make money, simplistically; "you lend me 6mil mr banker and I'll give you 150K..."

From another article last year :-

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/busi...icle2198051.ece

"SIR ALAN SUGAR, the nononsense star of BBC 1’s The Apprentice, is planning to leave Amstrad, the electronics company he founded nearly 40 years ago, once the merger with BSkyB is complete.

Sugar, who announced a £125m takeover of Amstrad last week, told The Sunday Times that he was in discussions with Sky over staying on as a consultant for the expanded company’s technology interests but otherwise plans to turn his attentions to growing his property business next year.

“Throughout my career I have invested in property as security and seen the electronics as the risky part of my business. I’ve got £300m of property, mostly in trophy buildings around London, and I don’t owe a penny. If this were leveraged properly it could be £3 billion overnight. I need to put these assets to work, raise equity and become a proper real-estate trader.”

Sugar, whose property vehicle is called Amsprop, said he regretted not spending more time on property while he was chairman of Tottenham Hotspur. “I wasted 10 years working hard at Tottenham and stupidly missed a golden time in property. While I was messing round with the FA, these young property guys were making fortunes. It was a waste of my time and talent.”

But Sugar believes the property boom is not over yet. “London is the focal point of a new wave of billions of pounds of cash pouring in from what used to be the Third World and is now first world. A banker told me there will be 210,000 billionaires in China in five years. The scope for London property is huge.”

But he insists he won’t be tempted to overleverage property portfolios as some other traders have done in recent years. “There’s a young man’s culture out there at the moment where they think there’s no recourse. They can borrow funds from banks, do massive transactions and if it goes wrong walk away.”"

If they are not mortgaged I share your optimism. However like the case that has been discussed on here recently of the baby boomers that bought a house for £10K that is now worth £400K but they remortgaged it to the £400k and can't meet repayments. These people should never have been in the pour house, the financial boom of the last 40 years were an incredible gift for many born at the right time but many have been affected by winners curse.

If Alan sugar was aware of the environment that has helped make him (he is still clearly a very good sales man) he would not have been going into property in 2007.

I have been saying since before I knew he had gone all in on property that Alan Sugar would make the headlines for his changed circumstances within 5 years. I have held this view for 2 years and still believe this will be the case especially with this recent error.

That's a very good point indeed.

Just perhaps worth remembering that in the 1980s, at his peak, Sugar's worth was circa £800 million; in Amstrad stock.

Then the appalling judgements and missteps started................

He was forced to effectively sell a majority of Amstrad and relinquish control.

Amstrad was saved by the satellite boom; making de-coders.

Then came the email phone: another resounding success story. :unsure:

In the 1970s crash, a number of prominent property tycoons crashed and burned: including Lion and Stern.

Sugar always was and always will be a market trader in his heart.

His elevation to business icon level, simply shows how little the media and its panoply of "Experts" really know about the cold hard old World of reality.

On a similar vein, anyone remember the late Terry Nellums? Perhaps better know as Adam Faith.

Investing in a few shares in a manic bull era he made a few quid: and was suddenly overawed by his own financial genius. Finished up writing a share and stock market column for the Daily Mail and Mail on Sunday and arrogantly postured that "Anyone could be a millionaire if they followed his lead.

Like so many naive muppets before him he thought becoming a Lloyd's "Name" gave him the final accolade of genuis and the cachet of "Rich".

When it all melted down, as markets have the habit of doing, he was skint.

No surprise there.

I believe that the next three years are going to full of "Yesterday's Heroes" stories.

Edited by Prescience

Sugar - you're fried.

:lol::lol::lol: the only thing is it must be depreciating faster then £80 a minute... :lol:

Sugar - you're fried.

Yeh we could have had a Microsoft or a Google, instead we got ******ing Amstrad.

Did they make Spectrums too?

PS We'll see how clever Sugar looks after the oncoming commercial property hurricane wreaks its havoc.

Post of the month. Should be submitted for the best use of analogy award 2009 :lol:

Sinclair made the original ZX80: Amstrad in yet another cunning business strategy, took over the bits when Sinclair went T's Up.

Then in a moment of sheer genius, Amstrad decided to lay down their own 2086 processor.................................

When Compaq had already developed the industry-changing 386 architecture and more critically, their advanced data bus, copied by all PC manufacturers and which rapidly became the de facto global standard.

Amstrad, meanwhile..............................................................

:rolleyes:

There is a tendency for successful people to lose sight of what allowed them to do well. If only they stuck to that they'd maybe carry on doing fine; the thing you understand well is a good place to play, you know the risks better than most and have advantages.

Then these guys get confused by success and imagine that rather than just being good at that thing, they are just plain good.

I was recently asked if I wanted to become a "business angel", where you're invited to advise and invest "Dragons Den" style along with other businessmen. I ran a mile from it;

* the hubris is vast.

* it's pathetic to put yourself up as some kind of guru.

* wtf would I be doing getting into things I don't understand?

I know what I do and I'll bet I'll be doing fine in a few years because I'm not going to budge from it. Sugar has fallen for the myth, and his TV career is only likely to make it worse.

Edited by bogbrush

Sinclair made the original ZX80: Amstrad in yet another cunning business strategy, took over the bits when Sinclair went T's Up.

Then in a moment of sheer genius, Amstrad decided to lay down their own 2086 processor.................................

When Compaq had already developed the industry-changing 386 architecture and more critically, their advanced data bus, copied by all PC manufacturers and which rapidly became the de facto global standard.

Amstrad, meanwhile..............................................................

:rolleyes:

Anyone remember the Sinclair C4?

Yeh we could have had a Microsoft or a Google, instead we got ******ing Amstrad.

Did they make Spectrums too?

PS We'll see how clever Sugar looks after the oncoming commercial property hurricane wreaks its havoc.

I loved my CPC but in hindsight I suppose it was total crap when you think about it. Still, got me 'putin. Thanks siralun! Hope your property portfolio does 'well'.

Just perhaps worth remembering that in the 1980s, at his peak, Sugar's worth was circa £800 million; in Amstrad stock.

Human nature makes you carry on tinkering even where there is no point.He could have put the lot in gilts at that stage ,put his feet up and now he would be sitting on 4 billion with absolutely no risk(ten times his current total).

For mere mortals like us, instead of f**king with property,shares or whatever else National savings index linked certificates have increased fourfold in the last twenty years when re-investing every five years.Instead most were suckered by 'investments always beat cash in the longterm'.

Trouble is National Savings Certificates have taken all regular investments to the cleaners in the last twenty years.

Agree totally, BogB.

The cobbler should stick to his (and her) last!

There is an excellent case for Corporate VCs: all provided they stick within their own expertise and subject-specific market segment.

As both a hands on businessman and an adviser myself, far too often I have seen erstwhile success turned triumphantly into disaster!

Sadly, there is a developing arrogance in many successful entrepreneurs and they eventually start to think they are infallible.