House Price Crash Forum
bambam

Homes In The Sun - Home Or Abroad

Anyone watching this(C4)?

I'm open-mouthed.

Footballer and his model girlfriend have a million to spend. I'm thinking, 'I'll bet the presenters will love this, they'll be able to find something gorgeous for that'.

Er, no. Not so. £1m buys a poxy house in Zone 3 for that it seems

First stop Barnes. They can't afford it.

Next Wimbledon. Too expensive too, so they are shown Southfields, complete with overflying aircraft. And it's a semi.

Finally Chiswick. We'r e told Jasper Conran's pad just sold for £12.5m. But they can't afford to live there. So they're shown to a place in the 'less fashionable part of Chiswick'. Four small bedrooms and a narrow garden the presenters insist is fabulous. Er no, it's a rip-off.

Next stop is Orange County, California.... I bet they'll get sea views, a pool and thousands of square feet for the money there.

Britain is such a rip-off.

I'm open-mouthed.

Footballer and his model girlfriend have a million to spend. I'm thinking, 'I'll bet the presenters will love this, they'll be able to find something gorgeous for that'.

Next Wimbledon. Too expensive too, so they are shown Southfields, complete with overflying aircraft. And it's a semi.

Finally Chiswick. We'r e told Jasper Conran's pad just sold for £12.5m. But they can't afford to live there. So they're shown to a place in the 'less fashionable part of Chiswick'. Four small bedrooms and a narrow garden the presenters insist is fabulous. Er no, it's a rip-off.

Next stop is Orange County, California.... I bet they'll get sea views, a pool and thousands of square feet for the money there.

It`s bizarre - anyone recall the old 1970`s TV Comedy `The Good Life` - Richard Briers character managed to live in a huge house in the Home Counties whilst been employed as a Draughtsman and no-one thought it the least bit odd - my own Parents house was a huge four-bedroom and when you looked on the old Title Deeds the previous owners gave their occupation as Shop Assistants - where do the Draughtsman and other skilled workers have to live now ?

Edited by Wires 74

I'm open-mouthed.

You should get out a bit more

It`s bizarre - anyone recall the old 1970`s TV Comedy `The Good Life` - Richard Briers character managed to live in a huge house in the Home Counties whilst been employed as a Draughtsman and no-one thought it the least bit odd - my own Parents house was a huge four-bedroom and when you looked on the old Title Deeds the previous owners gave their occupation as Shop Assistants - where do the Draughtsman and other skilled workers have to live now ?

This what gets me, when i started work at Mancester Uni in 1995 a Professor was retiring who lived next door to Eric Cantona! (Similar sized house etc....). A recently appointed Professor now would be pushing it to able to buy a small Semi..

This what gets me, when i started work at Mancester Uni in 1995 a Professor was retiring who lived next door to Eric Cantona! (Similar sized house etc....). A recently appointed Professor now would be pushing it to able to buy a small Semi..

Yet someone is buying and living in those huge houses -where is the money coming from though -something seriously doesn`t add up ?

Yet someone is buying and living in those huge houses -where is the money coming from though -something seriously doesn`t add up ?

This has been getting to me for a while, who are these people? Can't all be liar loans?

Why buy in the UK its madness. I was looking on the web just over the channel in France. Same weather as here, maybe a bit sunnier. A farmhouse and 15 acres of land for £80k anyone. Growing my own food with some chickens may be the best option if the brown stuff hits the rotary device. I have always liked the idea of my water coming from my well and generating my electricity from the stream or solar panels. Heck what would I need money for, brew my own cider too. I would get just as much dole but wouldn't need to spend it on anything since I would be self sufficient. Food, water, shelter, and power is all I need. I dont go to grand operas or ballets so wouldn't miss them at all. It just seems a much better option than being unemployed in some inner city flat run by the street gang and the drug lord.

The UK is a slave society and thats just the way they want to keep it.

I had the TV on in the room and was listening.

One presenter described a London area as "über-chic" - if an EA said something so tossy to me I'd slap them across the face with a wet trout.

Pretentious twats.

I'm open-mouthed.

if you have the money it's not a rip off...live where you can afford too..i'am sorry to say it still stands you can't live in nice places for peanut's...if you don't pay the money or you don't buy you can't be ripped off..everyone will try to get as much as poss....end off...being fair i will save for next time..

just one thing when has life ever been fair to poor people !!!

Why buy in the UK its madness. I was looking on the web just over the channel in France. Same weather as here, maybe a bit sunnier. A farmhouse and 15 acres of land for £80k anyone. Growing my own food with some chickens may be the best option if the brown stuff hits the rotary device. I have always liked the idea of my water coming from my well and generating my electricity from the stream or solar panels. Heck what would I need money for, brew my own cider too. I would get just as much dole but wouldn't need to spend it on anything since I would be self sufficient. Food, water, shelter, and power is all I need. I dont go to grand operas or ballets so wouldn't miss them at all. It just seems a much better option than being unemployed in some inner city flat run by the street gang and the drug lord.

The UK is a slave society and thats just the way they want to keep it.

I love France,shame it's full of French people.

BS

Not quite so much land in coastal California.

California-158706Sq Miles -Pop 38M

Were stuffed in like Sardines.

Having said that,friend of mine living in Pasadena,desperate to escape the good Weather!

BS

if you have the money it's not a rip off...live where you can afford too..i'am sorry to say it still stands you can't live in nice places for peanut's...if you don't pay the money or you don't buy you can't be ripped off..everyone will try to get as much as poss....end off...being fair i will save for next time..

just one thing when has life ever been fair to poor people !!!

Poor? This guy is a genuine millionaire ex-footballer. He is not poor.

Talking about homes in the sun. Mail property by Duncan Farmer,

Threat to UK homes as Spanish banks chase up debts.

British homeowners struggling to pay mortgages on Spanish villas could lose their main home as banks on the Costas

start chasing bad debts in the UK. Many people assume they can let the bank repossess the property and forget the

matter says Antonio Guillen, a solicitor with Manchester law firm DWF they could not be more wrong.

If the bank sells your property and it does not cover the amount you owe, it is able to go after your assets in the UK,

selling a house you cannot afford to keep is often not an option: the Spanish market is flooded with unsold property

and prices have fallen by as much as 50 per cent.

Where's Amanda these days?

Talking about homes in the sun. Mail property by Duncan Farmer,

Threat to UK homes as Spanish banks chase up debts.

British homeowners struggling to pay mortgages on Spanish villas could lose their main home as banks on the Costas

start chasing bad debts in the UK. Many people assume they can let the bank repossess the property and forget the

matter says Antonio Guillen, a solicitor with Manchester law firm DWF they could not be more wrong.

If the bank sells your property and it does not cover the amount you owe, it is able to go after your assets in the UK,

selling a house you cannot afford to keep is often not an option: the Spanish market is flooded with unsold property

and prices have fallen by as much as 50 per cent.

Where's Amanda these days?

A huge percentage of the Spanish property boom was due to the English buying or moving there. So although Spain would have its own recession like France, Belgium, Italy or Portugal it is made even larger by our far bigger problems. An average Spaniard would not buy one of those apartments or villas we see on the TV and probably would have at most a small mortgage if at all as their culture is not to borrow like us. English buyers have plunged Spain into a worse situation. I fully understand why Spanish lenders would want to pursue any English assets.

With a million quid in your back pocket, and all the glorious possibilities for fun, satisfaction, and adventure offered by said wadge - to settle for a so-so house in a so-so part of London would simply prove that they are absolutely barking I'm-off-to-Hartlepool-to-buy-some-exploding-trousers, stark, staring, frothing-at-the-mouth, mad.

I mean c'mon.

This has been getting to me for a while, who are these people? Can't all be liar loans?

It's a pyramid scheme. Before the market ground to a halt, if you were near the top of the pyramid then you could quite happily move sideways and spend, say, £1m on your new house without having any significant wealth apart from the equity in your property.

Kick away the bottom of the pyramid and take away the loose loans that fuelled the bubble and suddenly these people's paper net worth gets obliterated, although their economic position stays exactly the same relative to every other property owner. The big losers in this process are the multiple owners and the overstreched who see their relative position go backwards or get wiped out completely. The big winners are first-time buyers and renters whose relative position moves up.

Edited by thecrashingisles

We are only in the outer bands of this financial hurricane yet, these prices will drop year on year until they get down to 3-4 times average earnings, The end of this year will be a wake up call, A lot of people expect things to improve by the 4th quarter of this year, when this expectation is blown out of the water, then watch the price's drop.

Why buy in LONDON! This is what you get just outside of the cotwolds for 1.6m. A house, a couple of cottages a couple of barns and 13 ACRES of land

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sa....0%26index%3D70

House

55316_29561A_agc2464_IMG_00_0003.JPG

The drive

55316_29561A_agc2464_IMG_06_0002.JPG

or Knowle Hall for 1.2m

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sa...0%26index%3D190

35021_6628906A_28906_IMG_00_0000.jpg

35021_6628906A_28906_IMG_05_0000.jpg

If your budget is 1m, you can buy a 8 bedroom mansion in most parts of the UK! And it is the credit crunch, so knock 30%->40% off the asking prices! Im always shocked at the level of the extra premium in london

Edited by moosetea