House Price Crash Forum
bumblebeeandboy

Weekly Shopping Bill?

Isn't this one of Hugh F-W's current things? Wanting people to grow on any land.

I seriously doubt anyone in govt has the sense to see we should be planting food in the UK right now, and getting people involved in the land around them and being more food self sustained.

if people get hungry enough they will simply take the land back from the armed gentry by force.

and a revolution will start.

playing with a family dinner table is playing with fire.

would you watch your own child die of hunger, or trespass on a fat land owners crops ?

it would be a revolution.

Edited by the-sign-jacker

http://www.landshare.net/

With allotment waiting lists massively over-subscribed and people right across the country keener than ever to grow their own fruit and veg, the aim for Landshare is to become a UK wide initiative to make British land more productive and fresh local produce more accessible to all. But all of this depends on people like you registering their interest now.

theres no point. when hunger really hits the poor, your allotment will be robbed.

honestly. your wasting your time in any city town allotment. unless your prepared to guard it in shifts with other users.

Well I did say a garden is better, but I agree with you. It's all about fallbacks. An allotment may get raided when I need it the most, but up until then, it's hopefully saving me some money and allowing me to choose food that isn't drenched in pesticides and contains large segments of the human genome, and maybe I'll have some excess to squirrel away for that rainy day. I wish I had a big house in the country, but I'm doing my best with what I have.
even then, why do you just have the right to grow food. why cant everyone have an allotment on common land ?
I can't fathom what you're driving at here. Nothing's stopping anyone from applying.
hunger will make ordinary people KILL.
I have no doubt of it. Edited by Staypuft

I was lucky enough to get an allotment after only 18 months on the waiting list. The council as with the majority of councils are fecking useless there are at least 5 plots been left to go to grass or overgrown with trees.

I've a mate that wants one and everytime he phones the council he gets the reply if the tennants arn't using it they will loose it yeah rightieo it hasn't happened yet. Luckly enough he's sharing with another lotty holder.

By the way go to Aldi or Netto don't shop in Morrisons or Tesco the robbing B***ards.

Edited by Gunboat Diplomacy

Just an add on the wife has a mate who works at the fruit and veg counter Morrisons and was telling her how stuff doesn't last long.

Her reply was that Morrisons buy stuff from there suppliers that is nearly past its sell by date as they get it alot cheaper so all in all we are about to buy rotten "fresh" produce.

Bye bye now

I was lucky enough to get an allotment after only 18 months on the waiting list. The council as with the majority of councils are fecking useless there are at least 5 plots been left to go to grass or overgrown with trees.

I've a mate that wants one and everytime he phones the council he gets the reply if the tennants arn't using it they will loose it yeah rightyo it hasn't happened yet. Luckly enough he's sharing with another lotty holder.

By the way go to Aldi or Netto don't shop in Morrisons or Tesco the robbing B***ards.

England hey, what a wonderful country.

If the council can't or won't provide land for allotments then people can go it alone. A group of people could get together and set up a private allotment association. The assocation could purchase some agricultural land nearby and create allotments. A typical plot is 10 square rods (302.5 sq yards) so you should be able to get about 16 plots per acre. An acre of land goes for about £5000 - £10000 (and falling...) depending on location, so that's about £300-600 per member. There would also be about £40 per year fees per plot to cover water and general maintenance. You would probably be able to recoup the initial outlay in a few years.

The internet should make this sort of thing much more doable than previously. The biggest problem would be finding land within reasonable distance of town as there isn't huge amounts of agricultural land within most towns.