House Price Crash Forum
bumblebeeandboy

Weekly Shopping Bill?

lettuce turnup and pea :lol::lol::lol:

:lol:

Quite. The famous Victorian music hall star Marie Lloyd used to do a number called 'She sits among the cabbages and peas..'

I think she once had to explain herself to the local Magistrates because it was thought a public outrage.

Genuinely very true. Unfortunately my nearest indoor market is in Moss Side and I worry that some of the veg will be used against me with force. Great market though

I'm sure you'll be fine ;)

I would also recommend the Asian grocers along Wilmslow road in Rusholme. Its great to be able to get all the varieties of pasta (greek branded) that my wife cannot otherwise get hold of as well as industrial amounts of herbs and spices at far cheaper than supermarket prices.

Guest theboltonfury
I'm sure you'll be fine ;)

I would also recommend the Asian grocers along Wilmslow road in Rusholme. Its great to be able to get all the varieties of pasta (greek branded) that my wife cannot otherwise get hold of as well as industrial amounts of herbs and spices at far cheaper than supermarket prices.

Again, very true. It's much safer too

Food is quite expensive and the drop of sterling from $2.1 to $1.35 probably means more expensive food to come later on in the year.

I would advise you to look at the big things. If you can get rid of the car that would save you £3-4k pa assuming work is close enough to cycle or walk. Energy costs at home would also be a big one, over £1k for the average family pa. Try to keep the heating down and just wear more suitable cloths for the time of the year.

Also use sites like moneysavngexpert.com and hotukdeals.com to get good deals.

If possible try to set up a bulk buy group with people at work or neighbours. Things like eggs or bacon or... are 1/3rd the price if bought wholesale.

74p in Lidl tonight ...for a big long one ... a bit bent , but isn't that so de rigueur these days ....!

salad n cheese sarnies fer work tomorrow ....with a dolop of heinz ...no more M&S fer me ..gotta save before redundancy gets me in the goolies . ....my job is not safe

Got a pineapple from Tesco today for £1.00 They were over £2.00 during the Summer. That's seasonal goods for you.

I also bought a case load of Bulmers cider today from Netto for 99p a bottle......hic......

My weekly shop cost about £20 more than usual today. Er the reason being, al the scare stories on here have had me buying extra tins of beans, tuna and dried pasta! Bloody HPCers!

Guest theboltonfury
Got a pineapple from Tesco today for £1.00 They were over £2.00 during the Summer. That's seasonal goods for you.

I also bought a case load of Bulmers cider today from Netto for 99p a bottle......hic......

My weekly shop cost about £20 more than usual today. Er the reason being, al the scare stories on here have had me buying extra tins of beans, tuna and dried pasta! Bloody HPCers!

Mr Mrs has informed me of the same £20 rise today. If I find out she's been stocking up on beans she's looking for a new home

(I wouldn't say that to her face - she'd hurt me a lot)

edit - drunk typing

Edited by theboltonfury

God help me I'm going to get attacked on here for this I'm sure, but. I've kept a price book since I was on the social for a short time many years ago. It's like my personal shop comparison site. I can never remember wether it was cheaper in Aldi or Tesco otherwise.

I am lucky enough to have some good local veg shops near me, very cheap and amazing quailty.

<snip>

... all homemade etc no ready meals etc...

<snip>

... Tescos's.

Do not shop at Tesco if these are your shopping habits.

Our shopping basket is probably much like yours, and i've found a Tesco trolley at least 20-30% more expensive than ASDA.

We get a few bits from Lidl too (much of their stuff is better quality) and i reckon it would cost an extra 35% if we were to get the whole lot at Tesco.

Energy costs at home would also be a big one, over £1k for the average family pa. Try to keep the heating down and just wear more suitable cloths for the time of the year.

How do people spend so much on gas + electric? What are they doing with it? Me and the family are in a Victorian 3 bed terrace (well 2 bed + 1 bed converted to bathroom) + conservatory (which until a couple of weeks ago we heated with an electric oil heater) and we only managed to spend £675 on fuel last year. We don't have a great deal of loft insulation (only 100mm) and no cavity wall insulation (solid walls) and gaps in the floorboards that you could get your foot stuck in. We generally use the heating between October - April each year and it's never freezing cold in our house. Wife + children home most of the day + cooking twice per day. Washing machine on approx 10-15 times a week, dishwasher about 10 times too. And we make frequent use of the tumble dryer. Our worst ever annual bill was £703 (2006). Best £453 (2002). Average over 7 years = £596.

Just how do people use so much gas + electricity? I can only assume most people must leave their heating on all year round and set the thermostat to 25 degrees or something. And leave all their windows open. And probably have never switched supplier either.

God help me I'm going to get attacked on here for this I'm sure, but. I've kept a price book since I was on the social for a short time many years ago. It's like my personal shop comparison site. I can never remember wether it was cheaper in Aldi or Tesco otherwise.

I am lucky enough to have some good local veg shops near me, very cheap and amazing quailty.

Flamed/attacked for what?

I was expecting you to say your little book was showing your shopping to cost you less than 2 years ago.

Flamed/attacked for what?

I was expecting you to say your little book was showing your shopping to cost you less than 2 years ago.

That would be nice, it was not too long ago that value baked beans were 8p and a cheap loaf (great for bacon toasties) was 28p. Both these items have more than doubled in price.

I expect a lot more rises to come.

Snip....

I was in shock last week at cucumbers in Tescos's. 94p for a standard whole one, only three weeks before they were approx 48p. Anyway went back this week 6 days later and they are now £1.24ea. What the hell it's a cucumber £1.24! We're encouraged to eat healthily but you can see why some people just buy the bag of chips!

Thankfully i'm quite good in the garden so i hope our cucumber plants supply us with our own this year. In the mean time i'm not buying it and growing cress for the sandwiches instead!

I grow my own cucumbers too...so easy peasy and ever so tasty. How wonderful. I tend to just grow one of the greenhouse varietys...just four seeds provides about 40 cucumbers from early summer onwards. My neighbours love me very much :P

Here's a couple of piccys....

Vegetables_Cucumbers_01.jpg

Vegetable_01.jpg

Since hubby was made redundant last summer we've been on a tight budget. (He got another job within 2 months but for 40% less (same job, same grade). He now earns a few thousand over average so we're not a rich family by any means. We're a family of 4 with two preschool boys (and two cats).

We still try to eat a healty balanced diet, all homemade etc no ready meals etc. If the item isn't essential to a balanced diet i don't buy it. Basically what i'm trying to say is i don't load up on expensive junk chav meals!

Going to the supermarket is a bit of a killer as the price increases really seem to have taken off since Christmas. I'm now stocking up on essential items as i know in two weeks time they are going to be far higher.

I was in shock last week at cucumbers in Tescos's. 94p for a standard whole one, only three weeks before they were approx 48p. Anyway went back this week 6 days later and they are now £1.24ea. What the hell it's a cucumber £1.24! We're encouraged to eat healthily but you can see why some people just buy the bag of chips!

Thankfully i'm quite good in the garden so i hope our cucumber plants supply us with our own this year. In the mean time i'm not buying it and growing cress for the sandwiches instead!

Thats the cost of low interest rates and weak sterling....expect all your purchases to become more expensive as the true cost of idiot Browns/Kings policies really start to hit home.....cheaper exports maybe, realistically we dont export anything anymore....so almost everything is imported....so the average family like you and millions of others that have been prudent have to suffer becauase of the twats that over extended their borrowing for plasma screens etc....not a very fair world is it...

Going to the butcher for meat and the market for fish and veg is much cheaper than the supermarket, I've found. Unless you don't mind eating the minced scrotum and fag-ends that make up the bulk of most supermarket 'value' ranges. I aim to stay both solvent and relatively un-poisoned.

Steve allen on LBC is always going on about Costco, anyone know how you can join without being a wholesaler?

£25 and two forms of id. Go and ask. It's not that cheap though. Their fruit and veg is dear.

Even trays of cans are often cheaper if you buy them on offer at morrisons etc

Go in with a friend first before you commit to joining. You can ask friends to add you as a member and get you a card.

Steve allen on LBC is always going on about Costco, anyone know how you can join without being a wholesaler?

They allow certain professional classes and public sector employees to join (£25+VAT). Depending what you do or who you work for, it my be worth calling your local store and asking. The alternative is that most non-trade members can get a second card but if you're asking I guess you don't know anyone who's a member to ask.

As for whether its worth it, it depends what you buy. Most of the time, if you can load up on the best of the offers at the supermarket I don't think Costco is that great value. But as there are only 2 and a baby in my family we don't really need to bulk buy stuff. When I'm going, I tend to do a recce first to compare prices with my usual supermarket. I thought I'd got a bargain when their nappy offer is on but a week or so later the supermarkets were almost down to the same price for a few days.

Take this advice very seriously it will save you loads of money and you will have better quality fruit and veg.

Go to your local indoor market, have a look around, there will probably be around 5-10 different stalls each selling roughly the same thing. You will find that the prices they sell at are approx 20-50% off Asda price for the same product, however because greengrocers pay more money for the produce than the supermarkets (yes thats correct), you find that a cucumber is not only large, but tastier.

Me and the misses buy nearly all our fresh food from the indoor market.

For instance did you know that you can buy a kilo of best back bacon (think cuts), for £5 a kilo, where as in Sainsbury you will get around 750g of bacon for that price and it will be (thin cut) and defintily not as tasty.

In these credit crunch times, we can afford to live a high standard of living on not much money, only because we use our common sense when shopping. The supermarkets are great for convience, hell you can even buy a washing machine, cd, television, laptops and still get your weekly shop at Tescos Extra shops, but the quality of the food isnt as high as the smaller retailers, because they know someone will buy it eventually.

If only i had one near us. The nearest local market does have one veg stall which is very good and i'm planning on getting in the habit of using it again. We've moved so now it's a drive away. I always used to go late in the day not so much choice but much bigger bargains. They got to know me and the kids too and were always very generous, i think they liked to see the boys get excited about what fruit they could have that week.

haha,,tuna John West 8 tins for £4 at Asda,Heinz soups 4 for £2.Netto Branston Beans 4 for £1.It actually makes sense to stock up now if you have spare cash.Not for a collapse of society but simply the fact most imported food will rise much faster than wages or pensions over the next couple of years.

People laugh at it but years ago i always did it and i got made redundant and the fact i only needed to buy bread milk and a bit of fresh stuff made a big difference.