House Price Crash Forum
bumblebeeandboy

Weekly Shopping Bill?

Since hubby was made redundant last summer we've been on a tight budget. (He got another job within 2 months but for 40% less (same job, same grade). He now earns a few thousand over average so we're not a rich family by any means. We're a family of 4 with two preschool boys (and two cats).

We still try to eat a healty balanced diet, all homemade etc no ready meals etc. If the item isn't essential to a balanced diet i don't buy it. Basically what i'm trying to say is i don't load up on expensive junk chav meals!

Going to the supermarket is a bit of a killer as the price increases really seem to have taken off since Christmas. I'm now stocking up on essential items as i know in two weeks time they are going to be far higher.

I was in shock last week at cucumbers in Tescos's. 94p for a standard whole one, only three weeks before they were approx 48p. Anyway went back this week 6 days later and they are now £1.24ea. What the hell it's a cucumber £1.24! We're encouraged to eat healthily but you can see why some people just buy the bag of chips!

Thankfully i'm quite good in the garden so i hope our cucumber plants supply us with our own this year. In the mean time i'm not buying it and growing cress for the sandwiches instead!

Don't buy them. They're out of season and probably flown in thousands of miles.

Get an allotment or grow stuff in the garden.

Tomatoes are disgusting at the moment - even the expensive ones are just not nice. It's tricky.

Or stop buying at tesco. Go look on the local markets. It takes longer if it's not as convenient as tesco but should be cheaper.

The prices are shocking on everything it's going up.

I was in shock last week at cucumbers in Tescos's. 94p for a standard whole one, only three weeks before they were approx 48p. Anyway went back this week 6 days later and they are now £1.24ea.

£1.24p each !!

they can stick them up their ass.....

Don't buy them. They're out of season and probably flown in thousands of miles.

Get an allotment or grow stuff in the garden.

Tomatoes are disgusting at the moment - even the expensive ones are just not nice. It's tricky.

Or stop buying at tesco. Go look on the local markets. It takes longer if it's not as convenient as tesco but should be cheaper.

The prices are shocking on everything it's going up.

The waiting list around here for an allotment is rediculous. I'll be old and grey before i get one. We're currently renting so don't think the landlord will be especially pleased if i start digging the garden up. However it does have a raised flower bed (not a flower in sight) so i've dug it over and that's going to be potatoes and runner beans spinach. I'm going to put loads of growbags and containers over the patio for tomatos, carrots, spring onions etc. And i've spotted a patch out the back garden where i can place a couple of cucumber plants. I've chosen varieties that offer a high yield so hopefully can get some stored as well.

We have a local farmers market once a month but the prices are still very high. The local weekly market in Aldershot has a very good fruit and veg stall which i do try to get to as well.

I must admit i do try to buy stuff in season but the family all love cucumbers and i like the boys to eat well. They are young and at that age if they don't eat a particular veg for a while it gets rejected for ages and i hate fussy eaters.

£1.24p each !!

they can stick them up their ass.....

Thats not very hygenic. I hope they wash them before putting them back on the shelf.

The waiting list around here for an allotment is rediculous. I'll be old and grey before i get one. We're currently renting so don't think the landlord will be especially pleased if i start digging the garden up. However it does have a raised flower bed (not a flower in sight) so i've dug it over and that's going to be potatoes and runner beans spinach. I'm going to put loads of growbags and containers over the patio for tomatos, carrots, spring onions etc. And i've spotted a patch out the back garden where i can place a couple of cucumber plants. I've chosen varieties that offer a high yield so hopefully can get some stored as well.

We have a local farmers market once a month but the prices are still very high. The local weekly market in Aldershot has a very good fruit and veg stall which i do try to get to as well.

I must admit i do try to buy stuff in season but the family all love cucumbers and i like the boys to eat well. They are young and at that age if they don't eat a particular veg for a while it gets rejected for ages and i hate fussy eaters.

Thats the spirit dig for victory

I noticed a hugh increase in the price of mushrooms last week. They were 59p for 250g not so long back, now they are 99p :angry: . Added to which you can't stick those up your harris, they go all mushy.

Hi there

I make a note of what I buy - but only in terms of remembering - wish I'd been more clever about this - as I did start an Excel spreadsheet last April - because I though that things were going up that were basics.

But soon gave up on that because it required so much effort.

However - I have noticed that recently everything is going up - and have been buying basic stock (although I'm singleton) - and storing it in my cupboard.

There's no question about it - everything has recently gone up - even ready meals and veggies - supposedly in season - are even more than I've ever paid in my life time (50s).

So yes, your weekly shop has gone up - unless you've down sized - I shop at a mixture of places - deliberately and compare stuff - because that's how said I've become - it's how I spend my lunch breaks.

As to the suggestions that you get an allotment - etc - well yes, that's a great idea - but where I am there's a five year waiting list - so that's not an option - plus I'm in a studio flat - so I can only store so much - as I've also noticed that some other non-perishables have gone up to in the last month.

I'm much more aware of looking at when pasta is going out of date - in fact generally - I'm looking at end dates more than I ever had to - so this is part of the new psychology.

If something's on special offer, like pasta, recently - I buy more than I need on a weekly basis - because as you say - it's going up.

But what I have done is hooked up with someone with an allotment - and he says he produced more from the allotment than his family needs - and just gave it away for free - with few takers - last year - in the end he put it in the compost - so I've volunteered to help him on the allotment - do whatever he wants - in return for some of the excess he has.

Obviously now is not the time to reap the rewards - all I'm doing is turn up for an hour on a Saturday and weed - but this could be a way out.

I think that Fernley-Whatshisname probably is on to something about this allotment stuff - but he should also include helpers.

It's back to bargaining for your time.

But then isn't that what we do in our work life anyways - we give away our time in return for a reward that will benefit us - only now - monetary values are going to be less over the next few years.

By the way - if you're anything like me and think you are going mad - you are not!!!!

Since hubby was made redundant last summer we've been on a tight budget. (He got another job within 2 months but for 40% less (same job, same grade). He now earns a few thousand over average so we're not a rich family by any means. We're a family of 4 with two preschool boys (and two cats).

We still try to eat a healty balanced diet, all homemade etc no ready meals etc. If the item isn't essential to a balanced diet i don't buy it. Basically what i'm trying to say is i don't load up on expensive junk chav meals!

Going to the supermarket is a bit of a killer as the price increases really seem to have taken off since Christmas. I'm now stocking up on essential items as i know in two weeks time they are going to be far higher.

I was in shock last week at cucumbers in Tescos's. 94p for a standard whole one, only three weeks before they were approx 48p. Anyway went back this week 6 days later and they are now £1.24ea. What the hell it's a cucumber £1.24! We're encouraged to eat healthily but you can see why some people just buy the bag of chips!

Thankfully i'm quite good in the garden so i hope our cucumber plants supply us with our own this year. In the mean time i'm not buying it and growing cress for the sandwiches instead!

Take this advice very seriously it will save you loads of money and you will have better quality fruit and veg.

Go to your local indoor market, have a look around, there will probably be around 5-10 different stalls each selling roughly the same thing. You will find that the prices they sell at are approx 20-50% off Asda price for the same product, however because greengrocers pay more money for the produce than the supermarkets (yes thats correct), you find that a cucumber is not only large, but tastier.

Me and the misses buy nearly all our fresh food from the indoor market.

For instance did you know that you can buy a kilo of best back bacon (think cuts), for £5 a kilo, where as in Sainsbury you will get around 750g of bacon for that price and it will be (thin cut) and defintily not as tasty.

In these credit crunch times, we can afford to live a high standard of living on not much money, only because we use our common sense when shopping. The supermarkets are great for convience, hell you can even buy a washing machine, cd, television, laptops and still get your weekly shop at Tescos Extra shops, but the quality of the food isnt as high as the smaller retailers, because they know someone will buy it eventually.

Guest theboltonfury
Take this advice very seriously it will save you loads of money and you will have better quality fruit and veg.

Go to your local indoor market, have a look around, there will probably be around 5-10 different stalls each selling roughly the same thing. You will find that the prices they sell at are approx 20-50% off Asda price for the same product, however because greengrocers pay more money for the produce than the supermarkets (yes thats correct), you find that a cucumber is not only large, but tastier.

Me and the misses buy nearly all our fresh food from the indoor market.

For instance did you know that you can buy a kilo of best back bacon (think cuts), for £5 a kilo, where as in Sainsbury you will get around 750g of bacon for that price and it will be (thin cut) and defintily not as tasty.

In these credit crunch times, we can afford to live a high standard of living on not much money, only because we use our common sense when shopping. The supermarkets are great for convience, hell you can even buy a washing machine, cd, television, laptops and still get your weekly shop at Tescos Extra shops, but the quality of the food isnt as high as the smaller retailers, because they know someone will buy it eventually.

Genuinely very true. Unfortunately my nearest indoor market is in Moss Side and I worry that some of the veg will be used against me with force. Great market though

The waiting list around here for an allotment is rediculous. I'll be old and grey before i get one. We're currently renting so don't think the landlord will be

Ours was a long long list.

But not that long ago I got one.

Get on the list and visit regularly. Show you're keen.

I noticed a hugh increase in the price of mushrooms last week. They were 59p for 250g not so long back, now they are 99p :angry: . Added to which you can't stick those up your harris, they go all mushy.

Yes- cucumbers are going up and the price of mushrooms has mushroomed.

Lidl are much cheaper but you have to go on the day they have a delivery because otherwise the veg is either sold or rotten.

And i've spotted a patch out the back garden where i can place a couple of cucumber plants. I've chosen varieties that offer a high yield so hopefully can get some stored as well.

You won't get standard cucumbers to crop outside of a greenhouse in our UK summers. But ridge cucumbers do very well. And have more flavour than standards. They grow 5" long and are prolific. See link. Cucumbers won't store other than pickled.

http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_veg_di...ridge_page1.asp

Obviously now is not the time to reap the rewards - all I'm doing is turn up for an hour on a Saturday and weed - but this could be a way out.

This is a brilliant idea. Helps him; exercises you; and later in the year you should be getting armfuls of crops - runner beans, french beans; lettuce, tomatoes, potatoes in particular. You can't buy stuff that fresh, at any price.

This is a brilliant idea. Helps him; exercises you; and later in the year you should be getting armfuls of crops - runner beans, french beans; lettuce, tomatoes, potatoes in particular. You can't buy stuff that fresh, at any price.

lettuce turnup and pea :lol::lol::lol: