House Price Crash Forum
injustice

Never Saw It Coming.

If the bleeding obvious passed him by, how can he possibly be the best man for the job to fix it???

Personally, I think he's lying. Why? Well, firstly...

There is absolutely no way Brown could now turn round and say "I saw this coming", as that would replace his current position of "Whoops, didn't expect this, better try and sort it out" with one of "I knew this would happen and yet did nothing about it". The latter, I think, is much, much worse. In my opinion, he knew what was happening and did nothing about it for purely political reasons. That much-hyped election in the Autumn of '07 was, in my opinion, when Brown was planning to go to the country (i.e. pretty much the first possible moment after Blair's departure, as time was of the essence), but the whole creaking mess fell over a few months before he had the chance.

...and rather more damning, secondly...

For me, the real giveaway with regards to whether those in power knew what was on the cards was Tony Blair's departure date. That, to me, is just too close to be considered coincidence. I mean... he left in June '07, and decided to go well before that, but still during a period of time when someone in his position would have been more than slightly aware of what was going regarding MBS'ey thingys. To my mind, Blair saw the shit hitting the fan, had a pretty good idea what it meant, and legged it just in time... and if he knew, Gordon knew.

I prefer the action suggested by Jon Moulton.....

Jon Moulton, Founder of private equity group Alchemy Partners

Everything I see shows a worsening economy. Most of the companies I see are coming up with figures which are frightening. The currency slide is going to mean that inflation will be back with us earlier than expected. It will be interesting to see if the Government can raise money overseas without letting interest rates rise. I expect a tough year – we are not likely to sink completely but a few waves may hit us. We are not finished, just completely battered and will remain battered for a long time. If I was in government and had done what they have done so far, I would do my public duty and do myself in. The Government can try and take the edge off the pain now but if they do that it will be at the expense of debt and inflation. I'd like them to accept it will be bad and take hard decisions. If you nationalise the banks you can lend whatever you want.

Personally, I think he's lying. Why? Well, firstly...

There is absolutely no way Brown could now turn round and say "I saw this coming", as that would replace his current position of "Whoops, didn't expect this, better try and sort it out" with one of "I knew this would happen and yet did nothing about it". The latter, I think, is much, much worse. In my opinion, he knew what was happening and did nothing about it for purely political reasons. That much-hyped election in the Autumn of '07 was, in my opinion, when Brown was planning to go to the country (i.e. pretty much the first possible moment after Blair's departure, as time was of the essence), but the whole creaking mess fell over a few months before he had the chance.

...and rather more damning, secondly...

For me, the real giveaway with regards to whether those in power knew what was on the cards was Tony Blair's departure date. That, to me, is just too close to be considered coincidence. I mean... he left in June '07, and decided to go well before that, but still during a period of time when someone in his position would have been more than slightly aware of what was going regarding MBS'ey thingys. To my mind, Blair saw the shit hitting the fan, had a pretty good idea what it meant, and legged it just in time... and if he knew, Gordon knew.

Blair knew it was coming as soon as he came to power. I remember a small news item regarding Blair visiting Rupert Murdoch shortly before the 1997 election.

Guest sillybear2

The IMF warned him time and time again, drawing attention to the housing bubble, excess total borrowing, excess public spending and borrowing. Brown didn't listen, in fact he's an arrogant f****r :-

"I do not accept the IMF statement about the British financial figures. I may say, and I say this with respect to the staff of the IMF, they have been wrong before about British growth. We have achieved higher levels of British growth than have been projected, and I believe the figures are wrong again".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/2914081...on-Britain.html

He'll be off to the IMF soon begging for a bail out.

Edited by sillybear2

How can he have seen it coming? He was only running the economy for the past ten years :rolleyes:

Well he better resign now then because we all fecking did a mile off. Are we more qualified then?

This is just wonderful... :lol::lol:

As reported on teletext - Browns reaction to Camerons IMF remarks

Teletext: Brown due some credit

PM slams Cameron remarks

Gordon Brown has hit out at Conservative leader David Cameron for issuing "ridiculous" warnings that the UK could effectively go bankrupt.

The Prime Minister insisted that the Government is using "every weapon at our disposal" to combat the financial crisis.

He also suggested he is not getting enough credit for his leading role in tackling the global problems.

If he knew, he should be in prison.

If he didn't, he should be sweeping the streets.

Edited by tinker

To my mind, Blair saw the shit hitting the fan, had a pretty good idea what it meant, and legged it just in time... and if he knew, Gordon knew.

But this begs the question of why Brown was so willing to step up to the fan. He could have left along with Blair, and (to the great unwashed) it would have appeared that it was only when the steady hand was gone from the tiller, that the course began to wobble.

Or he could have called a snap election. A win would have secured his position for the next five years, maybe even allowed the next election to be called at a time of emerging recovery. A loss would have let him blame the mess on the incompetent Tories.

So all in all, I think he believed his own propaganda (stupid people often do).

But this begs the question of why Brown was so willing to step up to the fan. He could have left along with Blair, and (to the great unwashed) it would have appeared that it was only when the steady hand was gone from the tiller, that the course began to wobble.

Or he could have called a snap election. A win would have secured his position for the next five years, maybe even allowed the next election to be called at a time of emerging recovery. A loss would have let him blame the mess on the incompetent Tories.

He is simply the fall guy. He did not see it coming, or he refused to accept it. Blair was laughing up his sleeve at our esteemed leader.

Brown's a career politician, and was busting for a shot at the top job. He just wanted to be PM. Was he ever going to turn it down? I doubt it. To put it another way, how many people would turn down a promotion at work even though they knew the company they worked for was in the shit? Not many, I'd guess.

With regard to the election, Blair stepped down at the end of June, which meant that had he announced a general election at the Labour party conference in the early Autumn of '07, he was only stretching it out by another couple of months. We're not talking a long time here.

The situation is getting so ridiculous for him having been a chancellor for 10 years that whatever he says now will be so laughable and even more as the situation is worsening. He is basically shooting himself in the foot whenever he speaks!

Gordon you will have to capitulate at one point or the asylum will get you!

EDIT: for typo

Edited by pmaupoil

It should be noted that there existed a dual leadership of the Government up to Blair's departure.

Brown 'looked after' the economy and Blair did his 'World Statesman' and 'your very best mate' thing.

I dare say it will come out properly but in Blair's exit interviews for TV, there were statements to the effect that Brown didn't involve Blair in Treasury matters and went out of his way to 'not tell' him things - even Brown's budgets were a surprise to him (he wasn't given the information).

For Blair, as long as the economy was 'ticking over nicely' and Brown had abolished boom and bust, and his property interests looked dandy, that was fine; the devious, backstabbing little sh1t (Brown) could get on with it.

The economy, the country's monetary policy, the lack of effective regulation, the housing boom is Brown's doing. And he believed his own myth - look, he's still at it (see Teletext comment). Not once ounce of humility or humanity.

Perhaps Blair had come across HPC read up a little and decided it really was time to get out. :rolleyes:

Fred Harrison told him personally or at least in writing several years ago.

VMR.

That's what happens when you have an Administration filled with "Brownies". That and the fact that they refused to listen to smart people who did warn about this catastrophe. Broom is a disgrace :angry:

Guest sillybear2

He knew what was coming but truly thought he'd abolished boom and bust, and that it was different this time

"And we will have the strength and resolution to take the right long-term economic decisions too.

Why has it been that at every point since 1997 faced with the Asian crisis, the IT collapse, a stock exchange crash, an American recession, last year a house price bubble, this year rising world oil prices, why has it been that at every point since 1997 Britain uniquely has continued to grow?

In any other decade, a house price bubble would have pushed Britain from boom to bust.

In any other decade, a doubling of oil prices would have put Britain first in last out and worst hit by a world downturn.

I tell you, it is because with Bank of England independence, cutting debt, fiscal discipline and the New Deal this Labour government has shown the strength to take the tough long-term decisions, that inflation is low, interest rates are low, growth has been sustained in every year, and we are closer than ever to the goal which drives us forward: the goal of full employment for our generation. Labour, the natural party for economic strength in our country today.

Remember, for 18 years, the Tories said that the only way to arrest British economic decline was to condemn 3 million of our fellow citizens to unemployment, they said that to have a strong economy you had to abandon social justice.

We have proved that, on the economy, they were not only unfair, they were wrong.

Let us be proud that we, Labour, have proved that Britain can grow faster, create half a million businesses, add 2 million more jobs, and still double public spending on health, education, transport and policing and we should be proud we have so far also taken 1 million children and 1 million pensioners out of poverty, Britain showing the world that economic prosperity and social justice can advance together."

Gordon Brown - Conference speech - 2005

B0ll0x!!! Gordon saw it coming along with the BOE, the FSA, the filthy bankers and all the other VI pigs. They just chose to ignore the flashing red warning signs thet said LIAR LOANS SOON TO GO BAD

He's looking for the sympathy vote here. Don't fall for the bullsh1t.

Look at Flint last night FFS. Nulabour are all having a manic episode in sync. :blink:

If he's so thick he didn't see it coming

Why the fek should we trust him to get it sorted!

Wan ker!

I get this vision of someone putting banana peels all over the place and when people start to slip and fall in slapstick fashion the culprit with a big happy smile saying

"NO ONE SAW IT COMING"

Must be spinkyboo's monkey :lol: