House Price Crash Forum
_w_

Trade Wars: Prologue - First Currency Battles

OK, it's a dramatic title but what prompted me to start a thread on this subject was this statement by the SNB vice president yesterday that really surprised me:

“The SNB is able to sell unlimited Swiss francs versus another currency. In an extreme case, it can commit itself at the same time to buying unlimited currencies at a fixed- exchange rate.”

http://jessescrossroadscafe.blogspot.com/2...wiss-franc.html

I know there's a few here either already in or thinking of moving to Swiss Francs, this might cause them to reconsider.

Other tidbits on the subject of currencies are the US TSec accusing China of being an illegal 'currency manipulator', the French FinMin warning the UK to stop devaluing the pound, the EU promising a review of countries manipulating their currencies (they are not specifically mentionning the UK of course).

Things are hotting up fast.

Edited by williamdb

OK, it's a dramatic title but what prompted me to start a thread on this subject was this statement by the SNB vice president yesterday that really surprised me:

http://jessescrossroadscafe.blogspot.com/2...wiss-franc.html

I know there's a few here either already in or thinking of moving to Swiss Francs, this might cause them to reconsider.

Other tidbits on the subject of currencies are the US TSec accusing China of being an illegal 'currency manipulator', the French FinMin warning the UK to stop devaluing the pound, the EU promising a review of countries manipulating their currencies (they are not specifically mentionning the UK of course).

Things are hotting up fast.

the pound is going to win the race to go down the most in europe... :lol::lol::lol: at last we are going to win some sort of race.... :lol:

the pound is going to win the race to go down the most in europe... :lol::lol::lol: at last we are going to win some sort of race.... :lol:

Yeah but also in contention are the French, the Irish, the Russians, even the Swiss, the Americans, the Chinese, all of Asia... It's going to be tough to win this one.

Perhaps it should be included in the Olympic Games since it is global. 'Currency Slide' for the winter Olympics?

Edited by williamdb

Yeah but also in contention are the French, the Irish, the Russians, even the Swiss, the Americans, the Chinese, all of Asia... It's going to be tough to win this one.

Perhaps it should be included in the Olympic Games since it is global. 'Currency Slide' for the winter Olympics?

look our printing powers will be tested i'am sure but we will not lag behind we can print with best of them + we have been cheating so we have a head start on the rest of them we have been printing for a little while now !!! :lol::P;)

the prize is you end up with the only realistic game in town.

manufacturing - export, or whats left of any potential.

we have the best brains, we have the technology and the ideas, but we dont yet have the infrastructure and the finances.

so a swift devaluation will change importing to exporting pretty quick and create some much needed trade.

already the rep irish are coming over to buy used cars in £s, so its beginning to have an effect.

the prize is you end up with the only realistic game in town.

manufacturing - export, or whats left of any potential.

we have the best brains, we have the technology and the ideas, but we dont yet have the infrastructure and the finances.

so a swift devaluation will change importing to exporting pretty quick and create some much needed trade.

already the rep irish are coming over to buy used cars in £s, so its beginning to have an effect.

we used to go to france to buy cheap booze,cigs..now it's our turn to sell cheap things...why not if it will pull us out of it sooner or later it will.... ;)

we used to go to france to buy cheap booze,cigs..now it's our turn to sell cheap things...why not if it will pull us out of it sooner or later it will.... ;)

it will and it is sustainable. however, it takes as long to rebuild as it took to destroy.

id guess a 5 year minimum turn around with a large man sized recession in between,

with real unemployment up to 6-8 million and some lean spending years.

house prices down up to even 70% from 07

its the end of borrow-import, and the quality of goods will be better. dyson may return. even tin mines are re-opening.

china used to just make plastic soldiers etc because there engineering skills are not so good.

british engineering was on a par if not better than the germans.

though we do need to change the education into producing more engineering based graduates.

but i think devaluing the pound is a good start to a very long and painful, but worthwhile process.

Edited by the-sign-jacker