House Price Crash Forum

Ireland's Economy On Newnsight

HOLA441

A spokesman said construction was 10% of their GDP where as it's 4% in the UK. Already 10% unemployment.

'Economy was built on thin air' was one quote.

They can't inject money into the economy because of being in the Euro.

The Germans called Ireland the 'wild west' of the EZ!

Possibility of pay CUTS in the public sector.

Now a sort of Celtic pussy cat. :blink:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
Minimum wage rises by 35c per hour

Sunday, 1 July 2007 08:20

The National Minimum Wage in Ireland increases from €8.30 per hour to €8.65 per hour today.

The increase is the second this year.

It is the sixth overall increase to the national minimum wage since it was first introduced in April 2000.

Ireland's national minimum wage is only bettered in the EU only by Luxembourg.

How things have(will) change.

I heard that baggage handlers in Dublin Airport are on 70,000 Euros :blink:

Edited by Zach1965

HOLA446
HOLA447
Guest KingCharles1st

:(

75% of my customers are Irish, and 75% of those are linked to construction.

I can't remember the last time I had a happy new order. It's horrible and getting horribler by the day. :(

Edited by KingCharles1st

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
; she asked if he was ready for riots/strikes (basically) if there were public sector pay cuts.

I thought the Irish public sector Unions had already agreed to pay cuts -certainly the article I saw last week was on about 5% cuts for hospital staff and teachers with even more for white collar staff ...

Certainly the Union Leader quoted below seems quite sanguine about the prospect;

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontp...1738221174.html

Edited by Wires 74

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
A spokesman said construction was 10% of their GDP where as it's 4% in the UK. Already 10% unemployment.

'Economy was built on thin air' was one quote.

They can't inject money into the economy because of being in the Euro.

The Germans called Ireland the 'wild west' of the EZ!

Possibility of pay CUTS in the public sector.

Now a sort of Celtic pussy cat. :blink:

you are naughty but i like your jokes,,,celtic pussy cat !!... :lol::lol::lol:

HOLA4416
How's the Finnish economy bearing up?

Hundreds of new redundancies announced each week (remember population only 5 million) plus temporary

layoffs in some sectors.

GDP growth is projected to be negative this year although better than the average (negative) for the Eurozone.

Talking-head economists expect slight positive growth next year, which is rubbish IMO.

The pub nearest me has reduced the cost of a pint by 30 cents, although I think this is due to the smoking ban

and for the suburbs it was a bit overpriced anyway IMO. Of the 4 pubs within easy walking distance 1 has closed

- the one I predicted would do so - probably due to the smoking ban.

Food prices still going up, at least in my neck of the forest, but petrol down.

Oh, sorry, your comment was a joke!

For a moment I thought it was a serious question.

:)

HOLA4417
Hundreds of new redundancies announced each week (remember population only 5 million) plus temporary

layoffs in some sectors.

GDP growth is projected to be negative this year although better than the average (negative) for the Eurozone.

Talking-head economists expect slight positive growth next year, which is rubbish IMO.

The pub nearest me has reduced the cost of a pint by 30 cents, although I think this is due to the smoking ban

and for the suburbs it was a bit overpriced anyway IMO. Of the 4 pubs within easy walking distance 1 has closed

- the one I predicted would do so - probably due to the smoking ban.

Food prices still going up, at least in my neck of the forest, but petrol down.

Oh, sorry, your comment was a joke!

For a moment I thought it was a serious question.

:)

no green shoots then !!! :lol: like we have .. :lol::lol::(

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
Yeah I saw this; admitted that housing had gotten out of control. UK could be to follow; she asked if he was ready for riots/strikes (basically) if there were public sector pay cuts.

But - Was it just me?!? - When house "prices" in Dublin became even more expensive than Londonistan - I just shook my head [2 years+ ago] and just thought - "It is just a matter of time....."

I mean - it was SO obvious!!?!?? A country that has more sheep than people - and miles and miles and miles [etc] of EMPTY SPACE!!! HOW COULD THOSE UTTERLY INSANE HOUSE "PRICES" BE SUSTAINED THERE???!!???

Edited by eric pebble

HOLA4420
no green shoots then !!! :lol: like we have .. :lol::lol::(

Well, if there are any, they're hidden under 6 inches of snow. :lol:

Consumer sentiment is about the lowest ever. At least Finns are realistic and can face a problem

when they see it.

To his credit the Prime Minister (Vanhanen) warned in the first half of last year that a recession was likely

within 2 years.

HOLA4421
Well, if there are any, they're hidden under 6 inches of snow. :lol:

Consumer sentiment is about the lowest ever. At least Finns are realistic and can face a problem

when they see it.

To his credit the Prime Minister (Vanhanen) warned in the first half of last year that a recession was likely

within 2 years.

let's hope things get better,,i take it your banks are doing better then uk banks !!!

HOLA4422
But - Was it just me?!? - When house "prices" in Dublin became even more expensive than Londistan - I just shook my head [2 years+ ago] and just thought - "It is just a matter of time....."

I mean - it was SO obvious!!?!?? A country that has more sheep than people - and miles and miles and miles [etc] of EMPTY SPACE!!! HOW COULD THOSE UTTERLY INSANE HOUSE "PRICES" BE SUSTAINED THERE???!!???

well when they ran out of crap down there to buy they bought up here in northern ireland

its probably one of the primary reasons for our extraordinary spiral of lunacy

now theyre stuck with 30% reduction here already most likely with euro mortgages on a faling sterling based asset

fvck them

a 30% reduction here only covers the 2007 hpi

actually northern irelands economy has been cushioned a fair bit at the woe of the south by border hoppers bringing buckets of euros to prop up our retail

its delusionary to our assembly though, they think things won't be so bad here because we have a huge % of public sector workers, that and the southern spenders

its all going the same direction

down

HOLA4423
let's hope things get better,,i take it your banks are doing better then uk banks !!!

The sizable banks are essentially Swedish (due to many mergers in recent years) and I've

heard they have made many potentially bad loans in Eastern Europe.

The smaller, fully Finnish banks are not badly exposed from what I've heard.

Finnish banks were bailed out by the state in the early '90s when a Scandinavian banking

meltdown occurred (partly due to the late '80s housing bubble).

There's a housing bubble in Finland now also. I reckon it's about 12 months behind the UK. They're past the stage

of "but prices won't go down" and at the "but they won't go down much" stage now.

I rent, happily.

HOLA4424
But - Was it just me?!? - When house "prices" in Dublin became even more expensive than Londonistan - I just shook my head [2 years+ ago] and just thought - "It is just a matter of time....."

I'll tell you how, Eric:

It was because of:

LIAR LOANS

HOLA4425