House Price Crash Forum

Dubai

helenreed

HOLA441

Glad to see reports of a downturn in this ridiculous, invented, Sharia law governed, blingy place. Can anyone explain what sort of person would want to buy into the Dubai 'thing'? Of course, we all know footballers and WAGs are generally daft, but have people totally lost their minds. Of course, I feel sorry for the immigrant (poorly paid) workers who are now losing their jobs, many of whom are now stuck there as some employers keep their passports, denying them the chance to return home whilst there is now no work - maybe they think by keeping them there they can start work again if there is an upturn? Glad though, that the vile Grant Bovey (husband of Anthea Turner) lost a load of dosh through his dabblings in this upmarket opportunity. Who on earth would want to invest with him?

HOLA442

There are lots of nice people losing their jobs here too. And the crash is hurting the labourers badly.

In other news, they passed a new law making it a crime to "knowingly publish information that damages the U.A.E.'s reputation or harms its economy", so I'm not going to say any more. :unsure:

HOLA443

Last night was down thepub with GF and we were chatting to a couple of the locals, both in the building trade, both recently unemployed.

One had applied a month or so back for a job in Dubai and it was going through up to the point where they were choosing schools. It has since fallen through and he's back looking for a job.#

The other has no plans.

Although there's loads of money in dubai, are they silly enough to waste it on buildings noone wants...perhaps. The guy tried applying for another one but they asked what was the tallest buildings he had worked on to which he replied 20stories, they said they wanted somone more qualified with 80story building experience! Not many of those in England!

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

I have just been talking to the GF who has a collegue who's husband was working in Dubai. He has debts with 4-5 banks and lost his job and so could not pay the banks back. I am told he is the type who likes to live a lavish lifestyle. He has had his passport removed and is currently in prison because of his debt. He will need to serve 1 month for each debt he has, so 5 months prison sentence before he gets his passport back.

It looks like he should have got his marker pen out :)

Edited by doahh

HOLA448

A feudal Middle Eastern shithole . . . exploiting the poorest of the world and creating a bubble economy based on their status as a petro-dollar statelet.

Barring the justifiable sympathy for the poor immigrant class, the rest of these feudal leeches can fry in the noon day sun for all I care. One of better things to stem from this global slump!