House Price Crash Forum

Frank Field Proposes A National Government – With Mandelson, Clarke And Cable In Charge

HOLA441

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/blog/20...on-clarke-cable

Frank Field has already floated the idea of politicians forming a national government to lead Britain out of the economic crisis. But now, on his blog, he has started to write about what he would like it to look like.

Mega-crises sort the men out from the political boys. Michael Oakeshott in his famous lecture on political education drew distinction between practical and technical knowledge. He talks of how 'the boys might acquire the technical knowledge, but only the men would combine this with practical knowledge of affairs'. Over the past week I couldn't but recall Oakeshott's famous words. The economic crisis is just beginning. Maybe a few more people now are accepting, as I did at the beginning, that it would be surprising if the recession/slump becomes as severe as I fear that our political institutions will remain intact. I suggested there might have to be a national government. Three members of that national government are beginning to identify themselves. Vince Cable, obviously. Peter Mandelson, who is thriving in current circumstances and must be kicking himself at not having a seat in the Commons. And the return of Kenneth Clarke, who has been through this twice before will quickly emerge in the views of politicians (he's already there with voters) as one of those who might form this new government.

Cable, Mandelson and Clarke. It sounds more like a board meeting of Britain in Europe to me. Other people like fantasy football. Field, I think, is playing fantasy politics. But we live in strange times and unprecedented things are happening, so I suppose you never know ...

I suppose watching Mandy screw world leaders over would be amusing.

Couldn't trust him though.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
Gordon has 6 months?

Mike

If you think about, he's damaged goods ("No more boom and bust", "A weak currency means a weak economy which means a weak government" and other disasters). If Labour remove him, they might have a bit of honeymoon with the public and a better shot at the next election. They just need to find a female Obama equivalent and get her elected in the next by-election.

HOLA447
Vince Cable, Kenneth Clarke and Peter Mandelson to run the country? Why not, they're all at least competent and they can hardly do any worse than the current lineup!

It shows what things have become when a dictatorship begins to look appealing. I agree with you, BTW.....

eight

HOLA448
If you think about, he's damaged goods ("No more boom and bust", "A weak currency means a weak economy which means a weak government" and other disasters). If Labour remove him, they might have a bit of honeymoon with the public and a better shot at the next election. They just need to find a female Obama equivalent and get her elected in the next by-election.

Can anyone think who this might be? I have thought about it and can't think of anyone...

HOLA449
Vince Cable, Kenneth Clarke and Peter Mandelson to run the country? Why not, they're all at least competent and they can hardly do any worse than the current lineup!

Ahhhhhhhhhhh I get it. Trash the pound to get parity with the Euro. Mandy will go begging to Europe with Ken Clarke's backing to take us into the Euro :angry:

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
Guest tbatst2000

Hmmm, national government = no vote for the plebs (i.e. us) on who gets to try and dig us out of this hole. Sounds effing dire. The one bright spot on horizon right now is the day, sometime in the next two years, when I get to see Broon and his crew of shysters voted out of office. Field is weirdo anyway.

HOLA4412
Hmmm, national government = no vote for the plebs (i.e. us) on who gets to try and dig us out of this hole. Sounds effing dire. The one bright spot on horizon right now is the day, sometime in the next two years, when I get to see Broon and his crew of shysters voted out of office. Field is weirdo anyway.

Mandelson, sod that, I'm emigrating for sure.

HOLA4413

Why not? It's not like you can get anyone elected who isn't from the big three parties anyway. It costs a huge amount of money we don't have to run elections that could be spent on Northern Rock bonuses or ID cards. Yes, a technocracy would be much better with the best-of-the-best running our lives, people like Mandleson.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Frank has begun making perversity a political philosophy. I suspect that he believes he is the best Secretary of State we never had, all because he fell out with Blair. I remember that he used to strongly oppose the removal of exchange controls. If you oppose everything, sometime you will be proven right. He is very good at pointing to deficiencies and contradictions in detailed policies. He should leave the bigger picture alone. Good person, though.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
Guest mattsta1964
Frank was doing well until he recommended Mandy - the turd in the punchbowl. Mandleslime is Britain's modern day Goebbels.

Agreed

A thouroughly repellent creature

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425