House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest_ianbe_*

Price Of 'park Homes' Crashes 50%

On another thread today, one was highlighted as a 'bungalow' lowered in price. Its no such thing.

They are glorified trailers and DEPRECIATE. Most buyers seem to fail to realise this.

As a holiday home, they maybe have some use but I've met people who've sold their house to live in one, pocketing the equity, and usually blowing it. 15 years later when the site owner tells you 'get a new one or get off', they have to be re-homed by the council.

Ground rent and excessive utility charges add up too, as well as having to pay council tax, unless you lie to the council about living in it full time.

And here is another example of one with a big decrease in price.

It appeared on "To Buy or Not to Buy" this morning.

For sale in June 2008 for £164950. Now for sale at £89,950

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sa...tml?locationIde

History

date event

20 January 2009 * Price changed: from '£120,000' to 'Offers in Excess of £89,995

04 October 2008 * Price changed: from 'Offers in Excess of £150,000' to '£120,000

05 June 2008 * Price changed: from '£164,950' to 'Offers in Excess of £150,000

05 April 2008 * Initial entry found.

When they get to about 3K I might buy one

Like a decent camper van, you can get a second hand one for about £10k, in decent nick as well. Now you know why they are a ridiculous price new.

Abroad, they are about £20k - £30k new. After all, they are a glassfibre, wood and plastic furnished box, the production cost is not high. A lot of the sites in the UK though insist that you have to buy 'through them' which is where the mark-up is. They are shylocks most of them.

Edited by deflation

How long is the typical lease on these types of homes?

Oh, and some people encouraged me to buy one of these in the bubble years... :lol:

Check out the photo in shot number 6.

It shows the drive up to the place. And then look at the rubbish on the verges.

Bizarre marketing photos of our time award.

Should have gone to Specsavers. :P

Good god! How much for a trailer?

You can buy one of those in Canada/US for about $15 grand!

Haha, boy-o-boy, whoever buys that is reeeeeeeealy dumb. I've met cats and dogs smarter than the person who buys that!

Ah trailers.... brings back memories of my favourite show, which I will plug here with an appropriately placed hyperlink.

Trailer Park Boys

Edited by cashinmattress

Good god! How much for a trailer?

You can buy one of those in Canada/US for about $15 grand!

Haha, boy-o-boy, whoever buys that is reeeeeeeealy dumb. I've met cats and dogs smarter than the person who buys that!

Ah trailers.... brings back memories of my favourite show, which I will plug here with an appropriately placed hyperlink.

Trailer Park Boys

This is the UK. Rip off capital of the world. Only here will people happily hand over £160K for a trailer worth US$ 30,000

Here you go, put it where you want.

Log cabin

Mansion Cabin

That's my point, you can't. Assuming that you want electricity and clean water, oh and an address so that you can have all the other guff, you have to rent a 'plot' on a site. The owners of these sites veto the use of any structure not approved by them.

If you can get some land first, like self-builders do, those cabins would be ideal. Sod a big 4 bed monstrosity like on Grand Designs that'll cost £200 a month to light and heat. Stick a little cabin on it. Hmm, this is the makings of a plan...!

That's my point, you can't. Assuming that you want electricity and clean water, oh and an address so that you can have all the other guff, you have to rent a 'plot' on a site. The owners of these sites veto the use of any structure not approved by them.

If you can get some land first, like self-builders do, those cabins would be ideal. Sod a big 4 bed monstrosity like on Grand Designs that'll cost £200 a month to light and heat. Stick a little cabin on it. Hmm, this is the makings of a plan...!

Exactly!

But as Krusty would say;

"A snip at 20 grand, Snap up a bargain quick! Just add it to your basket and Google checkout away. Hurry before the next boat sheds it load in the Channel. " :lol:

Edited by Ursus

The most important thing to consider with these park homes is that usually you don't own the land they are sited on.

Then they cost a fraction of their advertised sale price to build and equip.

In time the homes and contents depreciate in value.

Take it all into account.

isn't that too much to pay for this sort of crap !!! :lol::lol::lol:

Nope , some good returns maybe, seeing as so many people might have no where else to go.

They will end up allowing them to be used 12 months of the year too very soon ;)

Like a decent camper van, you can get a second hand one for about £10k, in decent nick as well. Now you know why they are a ridiculous price new.

Abroad, they are about £20k - £30k new. After all, they are a glassfibre, wood and plastic furnished box, the production cost is not high. A lot of the sites in the UK though insist that you have to buy 'through them' which is where the mark-up is. They are shylocks most of them.

What sort of van would you buy for 10K, was looking last year but dont know one from the other, and may be back for a few months in the UK next year, sick of staying with inlaws etc.

Those are rocks!

we looked at a static caravan near battle last year. nice looking site. but upmarket.

stately home grounds. no tourers. private lake. u can live their a max of 9 months a year.

u could get a reasonable second hander for 15k but the 'new' direct from site were 40 k minimum.

but the real shock was all the site fees, rents, etc. it was nearly 400 quid a month.

i baulked at that. i have my own house thanks with all the accompanying ripoffs. so we bought a mobile caravan. been a much better idea. stay away from big sites with chavvy club houses and theres 1000s of nice places to stop. we have even

pitched up on beach access roads for the night. sea view and no cost. farmers fields with a river view for 4 quid. very glad we made that choice.