House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
GregG

******** From The Hsbc

I've got a current account with the HSBC. I've transferred 61k in, in order to transfer it out to Tesco personal Finance.

Tried to do this on the internet this morning and found there was a £10k per day limit on BACS transfers. Even if you go into the branch with your passport.

What a bunch of bullsh@t. Basically HSBC are just slowing down the transfer of your money and screwing you for the interest. They pay 0%

5.1 % on 60k is 8 quid a day interest lost. Over 6-7 days you lose £50

I've got a current account with the HSBC. I've transferred 61k in, in order to transfer it out to Tesco personal Finance.

Tried to do this on the internet this morning and found there was a £10k per day limit on BACS transfers. Even if you go into the branch with your passport.

What a bunch of bullsh@t. Basically HSBC are just slowing down the transfer of your money and screwing you for the interest. They pay 0%

They all do this I assume. I know that LloydsTSB and AllLeics do with me.

Yeah, it's standard.

If you want to transfer more on a single day, pay the £20 for a CHAPS transfer. Alternatively just transfer £10k a day until you've moved your cash.

Lloyds do it with me too.

NatWest dont seem to. Although i think thats cos the assistant i use is slow/simple and doesnt remember a £10k limit. Fine with me.

CHAPS gets round it though, still get screwed out of a little money though.

Edited by Sadman

I too have had this happen to me but am now concerned.as having read some worrying stuff about ING I have just transfered out 100k in one go..............is this going to go wrong ? usually i have been limited to much smaller amounts.

Barclays changed my limit to £1k per day. I since left them along with other issues (maybe because I had a graduate account).

Guest AuntJess

Yeah, I have had some if this - bluddy infuriating. :angry: They'll let you put heaps IN, but only let it dribble out. Heads they win, tails we lose.

I am just about sick of an establishment that rewards greed, sloth and dishonesty and penalises workers and savers. :ph34r:

Guest AuntJess
Yeah, it's standard.

If you want to transfer more on a single day, pay the £20 for a CHAPS transfer. Alternatively just transfer £10k a day until you've moved your cash.

Only prob. there is if you want to get it into a fixed rate scheme in a hurry, you may well miss the boat. :o

Guest AuntJess
I too have had this happen to me but am now concerned.as having read some worrying stuff about ING I have just transfered out 100k in one go..............is this going to go wrong ? usually i have been limited to much smaller amounts.

Care to elaborate? ^_^ I am keen to know what is amiss with ING, as I have a few bob in there. :huh:

Care to elaborate? ^_^ I am keen to know what is amiss with ING, as I have a few bob in there. :huh:

http://ftalphaville.ft.com/blog/2009/01/23...4/markets-live/ I read this on the main thread and read through it- although it refers to the insurance arm of ING, the fact they are going back to the dutch govt for another 20-25 bn and that they have been downgraded from stable to negative and the question about the ability of the Dutch government to underwrite depositers cash coupled with some of the comments on HPC made me want to go for safety in NS&I .

That then raises the question has anybody got the recourses to pay all depositors. I am out of the country else I would be getting it out as cash, least then I have got it. One thing though when i tried to make a withdrawal up popped another page offering a higher rate of interest to stay 4%.............so I heard nothing of immediate cancern but I just wasnt happy with what I was reading.

Will be amazed if it all turns up next week as one lump in my LloydsTSB account, they certainly wouldnt let me do an internet transfer for the lump sum.

Yes, you're unfairly maligning HSBC, because this is standard practice with all banks and the 10K limit is imposed by the government due to - you've guessed it - money laundering regs. I ran up against this with Lloyds when I was buying a house last year and had to pay for a CHAPS transfer.

just to say the 100k i transfered from ING arrived safely in my LLoyds tsb account......when I transfered it into ING from Lloyds let me do it in 10k lumps and then reduced it to 5k lumps ........so the limit must be set by the banks.............now where to put my fund ....

As far as I know, Tesco personal Finance is still a joint venture with RBS. Tesco have said they will buy out RBS but I dont think thats been done yet. I also have a Tesco savings account but am nervous to put in so much money for that reason, and RBS is not fully nationalised either. In theory 50k is safe I know but that's still to be tested on a bank the size of RBS.

I'd like to be proved wrong if anyone has any info on the Tesco/RBS thing so I can put my money back in Tesco.

What's the limit on cash withdrawals? Is that limit improved if you give a day's notice?