House Price Crash Forum

Mc Tavish, You Idiot.......

HOLA441

Had an interesting call (very) early this morning from The Boss (or TB as we affectionately call him), who was as irate as I've ever heard him.

TB-- McTavish, you idiot, why didn't you cut your Q4 sales, Marketing and Customer Service budgets like I told you to.

HM-- Because my regions up 3% on last years like for like sales, and 5% on ops profit.

TB-- Thats not the point, every other RM cut when I told them to. What makes you so bl00dy special.

HM-- The fact that my regions up 3% on last years sales, and 5% on ops profit......

TB-- Well where are these sales coming from, you're the only RM thats up, and it'll end soon, dontcha know theres a recesssion on?

HM-- From our competitors. Haven't you seen the market share increase figures? Looks to me like we're getting a slightly larger slice of a slightly smaller pie.....

TB-- So why are we taking this business? Did you change your pricing structure?

HM-- Nope. Prices are still the same. I imagine it's just because they were stupid enough to cut their sales, marketing and customer service budgets and we didn't.....

TB-- click......

Email came out after lunchtime to all RM's.... we are now to increase sales, marketing and CS activity. As we're already there, I'm now taking the afternoon off to make up for being woken up like that this morning. :P

I get it, theres a recession on. But really, so much of this pain is needlessly self inflicted by people buying into the hype....... I have no doubt theres a lot of companies that really do need to cut back. But I can't help but think theres an equal number that could be expanding market share and taking over weaker competitors, that just aren't cause they've bought into the hype. After all, theres a recession on, dontcha know? :rolleyes:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
Had an interesting call (very) early this morning from The Boss (or TB as we affectionately call him), who was as irate as I've ever heard him.

TB-- McTavish, you idiot, why didn't you cut your Q4 sales, Marketing and Customer Service budgets like I told you to.

HM-- Because my regions up 3% on last years like for like sales, and 5% on ops profit.

TB-- Thats not the point, every other RM cut when I told them to. What makes you so bl00dy special.

HM-- The fact that my regions up 3% on last years sales, and 5% on ops profit......

TB-- Well where are these sales coming from, you're the only RM thats up, and it'll end soon, dontcha know theres a recesssion on?

HM-- From our competitors. Haven't you seen the market share increase figures? Looks to me like we're getting a slightly larger slice of a slightly smaller pie.....

HM-- Nope. Prices are still the same. I imagine it's just because they were stupid enough to cut their sales, marketing and customer service budgets and we didn't.....

TB-- click......

Email came out after lunchtime to all RM's.... we are now to increase sales, marketing and CS activity. As we're already there, I'm now taking the afternoon off to make up for being woken up like that this morning. :P

I get it, theres a recession on. But really, so much of this pain is needlessly self inflicted by people buying into the hype....... I have no doubt theres a lot of companies that really do need to cut back. But I can't help but think theres an equal number that could be expanding market share and taking over weaker competitors, that just aren't cause they've bought into the hype. After all, theres a recession on, dontcha know? :rolleyes:

Good for you. ;)

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
Well done Hamish. Good to hear a good news story.

Aye, thanks and all. I think it's just that I have a reluctance to chop jobs needlessly. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to cut as required, seasonally, etc. Thats just business. But if business is still strong, then why cut? It'll only end up in tears IMO. Destroys staff morale and p1sses off the customers to boot.

I do think this whole saga illustrates a wider point about publically traded companies. It does seem like half the time we do things (cut expense lines, etc) not because it's the right thing to do, but because it's what shares analysts expect us to do. Short sighted business decisions just because it'll prop up the share price. Madness.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
What if 'TB' reads the original post?

I've survived much bigger faux pas in the past....... :P

But unlikely to be a problem.

1. He doesnt know how to use the internet, doesnt have it at home, and has his secretary type his emails, and......

2. He already knows I'm a cheeky b@rstard.

Edited by HAMISH_MCTAVISH

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

An interesting OP.

There is a tendency to cut marketing, promotion and sales the moment tough times appear - it's often the wrong thing to do. In some cases here, it is a question of panicking last!

Reassure the customers, project confidence and and H McT points out sweep up sales from competitors whose customer service/customer contact will fall back. There still will be business out there. Do you want it.

Some companies are too eager to lose the staff they may well have spent time and money training up.

Good for you. You are clearly smarter than you look.

Of course, a badly run, badly managed, poorly customer oriented company is going down whatever...

HOLA4414

Gasp.....! A hamish e-mail I agree with.

HOLA4415

Good stuff Hamish. Strong companies usually come out of recessions battered but relatively stronger compared to the competition when the recession started.

The sector I work in (packaging) does not need large amounts spent on direct promotion but it does need big capital spend on big bits of kit from time to time. We know that the best time to spend capital is when everyone else is cutting back and last year we rearranged our credit lines so that we can do this. However, our plan is to cut capital spend this year. Because of order lead times, we think the real pain for our capital equipment manufacturers (mainly in euroland) will be felt next year, and getting installed capacity in place ready for the upturn at just about any price will be their priority. As far as I am aware most of the machinery used in British manufacturing industry is made in Euroland and if many/most manufacturers are following this logic, then Europe, especially Germany, will have a shorter recession than many people think.

HOLA4416

TB-- click......

This brightened my day. Thank you.

I do wonder how many companies are acting on a knee jerk reaction to the media and general climate rather then on an understand and feed back directly from within there own customer base.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

I am glad I am not such an attention seeker as to post conversations that I had with my imaginary boss this morning.

What a load of drivel - loosely packaged up to look vaguely relevant to this site.

So an imaginary company somewhere decided to increase sales rather than do the opposite. Wow.

Hamish you really should just take over the entire UK car industry and tell them what they are doing wrong. Just increase the sales and marketing budgets for all and everything will be fine. I will take 3 Mazdas and a Ford.

You are a star. :rolleyes:

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

McTavish is playing head games with you now posters, trying to pretend he`s like you, that he is your friend, so he can hit you with some more property ramping crap, the way the religious zealots who stop you in the street and invite you to "their church" do. I don`t know why you post this stuff Mctavish? you are some kind of a government spy? ccc is on to you chummy.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

You know on the front page.....this thread title reads;

'Mctavish, you idiot.......'

Quite apt really - no explanation needed. Sums it all up in three succint words ;) Just kidding Mctavish. Or am I ??

:P

Edited by spivtastic

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425