House Price Crash Forum

Big Reductions - What's The Best In Your Area

HOLA441

Here is mine.

I don't have Property Bee at work, but IIRC it was put on the market for £125,000 in June 2008.

The asking price was nibbled down to ~£90k by Decemeber - a reduction of 28% - but wait for it...

It was reduced again at Christmas and has now Sold STC, for £59,995 - a reduction of 52%. (which is about what these houses were selling for in late 2000 when I moved here).

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sa...y-10453251.html

HOLA442
HOLA443

None to really speak of in my area (OX18)

The most notable thing is the relation between types of properties and their respective asking prices.

You can get a 4 bed detached property for IRO £200k.

Or you can buy a 2 bed terraced for IRO £182k.

The latter has a long way to fall.

HOLA444

I must of read one of your previous posts about this property because i remember seeing that odd garden with a headge in the middle of it! House prices are almost off topic now i'm afraid! ;) People are now tackling how they can afford enough beans, tin foil and ammunition to get through armageddon.

Good find, lets hope there's many more like this. I don't like to see people struggling etc, i just want to see the horribly inflated HPI removed. I take great pleasure in finding houses that were bought in 1997 - 2002 and just make offers removing massive chunks of HPI.

HOLA445
Good find, lets hope there's many more like this. I don't like to see people struggling etc, i just want to see the horribly inflated HPI removed. I take great pleasure in finding houses that were bought in 1997 - 2002 and just make offers removing massive chunks of HPI.

I haven't looked at NetHousePrices to see when it was bought TBH, but I'd hedge my bets that that massive price drop was because it was repossessed, and the most likely reason it was repossessed was because it was bought 2~3 years ago and the person stretched themselves. :(

HOLA446
Here is mine.

I don't have Property Bee at work, but IIRC it was put on the market for £125,000 in June 2008.

The asking price was nibbled down to ~£90k by Decemeber - a reduction of 28% - but wait for it...

It was reduced again at Christmas and has now Sold STC, for £59,995 - a reduction of 52%. (which is about what these houses were selling for in late 2000 when I moved here).

Not quite as impressive as yours, but a higher price so it does show that prices are falling within different price brackets...

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sa...ty-9780741.html

A drop from £229K to £160K... Its a shame there are not more reductions like that (30%) however, its mostly just 10-12% here... but slowly people are starting to realise.

HOLA447
A genuine sale at a >50% fall and no-one even comments?

Silly me talking about HOUSE PRICES. :blink::P

We don't do that kind of thing here, thank you.

House on my road got reduced from £238k to £199k asking price, and it's an exact copy of my house. That's £40k of imaginary unearned 'wealth' I won't be seing again in a hurry.

HOLA448
I haven't looked at NetHousePrices to see when it was bought TBH, but I'd hedge my bets that that massive price drop was because it was repossessed, and the most likely reason it was repossessed was because it was bought 2~3 years ago and the person stretched themselves. :(

They certainly didn't stretch themselves doing it up - that kitchen took me back to the 80s - and not in a nice way! :(

Best drops in my area of easternish Brighton now approaching 30%.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

now thats the drop i want to see. 895 - 600 and id buy. Unfortunately they wont do it on the house i want. But a house in West Dorset has jut dropped this week from 995k to 825k which i'm delighted about. It mean the drops are starting to happening at the higher end of the market in my areas ....

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

I've started to notice prices coming down quite hard in my area just recently. There's a 5 bed detached on for 399k where all other 5 beds are in the 500k. It's amusing to see 4 beds and even 3 bed detached at around the same price. Does someone really think they'll sell their 3 bed when theres a 5 bed on at the same price (nice 5 bed too - nothing wrong with it)?

There's also a 4 bed on at 270k (all others in the mid 300k's) which disappeared from rightmove a couple of months ago. It just came back on after sold stc. Very interesting. I thought it looked like the price had been set at around 270k but I'm glad to say it's not.

I checked out the sales history of the house I live in the other day. It's a 4 bed, larger than the 270k one. Landlord bought it in 2003 for 240k. Previous owner bought it for 199k in 2000 and it was bought for 125k in 1999. I truly believe they will be back to around 150-160k within the next 3 years. Staggering.

HOLA4415

What are you people buying when you're talking about 600k? A castle? Seriously, even on this website I think people might have just got used to massive house prices. At 600k you need to be earning at least 100k a year (yea I know, nowhere near enough in reality but credit markets went mad....). You might all earn 100k, I don't know. But if you've STRd and you are looking at getting back in then have a good long hard think about how much someone who didn't STR at the top would need to earn to buy at 600k (even with a whopping deposit). This bubble is huge. I wouldn't be surprised to find 800k houses going for 300k or even less in a couple of years. The only thing allowing them to be sold at 800k was the 'earned' equity over 10 years. People who didn't already have houses 10 years ago could never have afforded them...

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
Here is mine.

Looks like a council house, is that correct?

HOLA4418
What are you people buying when you're talking about 600k? A castle? Seriously, even on this website I think people might have just got used to massive house prices. At 600k you need to be earning at least 100k a year (yea I know, nowhere near enough in reality but credit markets went mad....). You might all earn 100k, I don't know. But if you've STRd and you are looking at getting back in then have a good long hard think about how much someone who didn't STR at the top would need to earn to buy at 600k (even with a whopping deposit). This bubble is huge. I wouldn't be surprised to find 800k houses going for 300k or even less in a couple of years. The only thing allowing them to be sold at 800k was the 'earned' equity over 10 years. People who didn't already have houses 10 years ago could never have afforded them...

Well put; worth is defined by affordability, and who can afford 600k with a reasonable sized loan/deposit?

You want to see a ponzi scheme - forget Madeoff; he's an amateur; check out UK housing instead.

HOLA4419

I agree. It's complete madness. I str'd in April for £825k but I don't feel too bad about it because I sold it to an estate agent ;) Leaving HPI aside I would say it's worth no more than £550k.

Edit:poor spelling

Edited by Rosepetal

HOLA4420
I agree. It's complete madness. I str'd in April for £825k but I don't feel too bad about it because I sold it to an estate agent ;) Leaving HPI aside I would say it's worth no more than £550k.

Edit:poor spelling

That's kind of what I'm talking about though. The numbers have got so huge that people don't even blink. At 550k I'd expect it to be made of gold. Is it REALLY worth 550k? or would the sort of family who move into it be earning more around the 80 to 100k range, in which case it's probably worth less than 400k? Not getting at you, just pointing out that the number simply don't make any sense. They haven't for years and probably wont for a couple of more years yet.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
Here is mine.

i would buy tomorrow at 50% off year 2000 prices sounds about right to me , all i want is value for money and not to be ripped off or forced to borrow more than i can afford as i don't want to live on beans on toast for the next 25 years

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425
That's kind of what I'm talking about though. The numbers have got so huge that people don't even blink. At 550k I'd expect it to be made of gold. Is it REALLY worth 550k? or would the sort of family who move into it be earning more around the 80 to 100k range, in which case it's probably worth less than 400k? Not getting at you, just pointing out that the number simply don't make any sense. They haven't for years and probably wont for a couple of more years yet.

All I can tell you is that it cost £225k to build (labour and materials) so a big adjustment in land prices are in order?