House Price Crash Forum

The national debt of the UK, before taking on bank liabilities: £637,400m

The liabilities the UK state stood behind earlier:

Northern Rock liabilities: £107,000m

Bradford & Bingley liabilities: £50,000m

The liabilities of the mega banks the government is either effectively standing behind or thought it soon will:

Lloyds: £341,200m

HBOS: £661,300m

Barclays: £1,343,360m

RBS: £1,887,108m

Total liabilities for standing behind these 6 banks: £4,390,000m

New liabilities of UK state: £5,027,000m (789% rise)

Yes - that's £5trillion - before PFI, pensions etc etc. This is equivalent to what we spend on educating our kids in 167 (yes 167) years.

Nothing to worry about there then

The liabilities of the mega banks the government is either effectively standing behind or thought it soon will:

Yes - that's £5trillion - before PFI, pensions etc etc. This is equivalent to what we spend on educating our kids in 167 (yes 167) years.

I'm scared of dying or being in horrible pain, and of the same for those I love.

The rest is just an inconvenience/annoyance.

the banks also have assets which partially offset those liabilities.

ideally they would wind up RBS and Barclays - at least not pay any liabilities in foreign currencies

I'm scared of dying or being in horrible pain, and of the same for those I love.

Well said sir!

Money is a wonderful servant, but a horrible master...

the problem with these figures is that they are not a true reflection

The problem is nobody knows what the true figures are or even likely to be.

I an excited rather than scared. A massive bust would present huge investment opportunity for me even though I would lose a fair amount of money on the way down. I just wish the whole thing would hurry up.

Unfortunately don't know how to make money on the way down because don't have time to do spread betting/shorting etc as in full time employment.

the banks also have assets which partially offset those liabilities.

ideally they would wind up RBS and Barclays - at least not pay any liabilities in foreign currencies

The banks haven;t got any assets.

What they have are numbers on PC screens and pieces of paper.

Reality always wins.

"It's like gravity, all it takes is a little push." - The joker.

And life of hard labour without reward doesn't count?

Aren't all their liabilities just numbers and bits of paper too? Nothing to worry about then.

I think it's all just one big game that they're playing.

I'm little worried what they're planning though :huh:

Not scared at all. Loving every minute of it: each company bust, each job lost- though painful at the time- is a step toward a better society in the long run.

Not scared at all. Loving every minute of it: each company bust, each job lost- though painful at the time- is a step toward a better society in the long run.

+1.

Although I think we really do need a change of government before we can start making progress.

The banks haven;t got any assets.

What they have are numbers on PC screens and pieces of paper.

Reality always wins.

"It's like gravity, all it takes is a little push." - The joker.

I know what you mean, Injin.

I would concur that the money numbers have now become so absurd that it is clear that the whole abstract money-number system is no longer corresponding with reality in any meaningful or sustainable way.

It's time for a new money system which better reflects and manages the real wealth of this beautiful world.

And life of hard labour without reward doesn't count?

That would be the default position for most of humanity through most of history. We may or may not be a long way from getting back there for the majority of the UK population. If we do, bear in mind most people still found something in life worth living for.

I'm not scared of losing my TV, my car, my MP3 player, new clothes etc etc. It's just stuff, and pretty trivial stuff at that Stuff like soft toilet paper, hot water, central heating - now that would be annoying. And uncomfortable, now I've got used to having them.

The only true rewards in life are good company and loved ones (etc). Sorry to come over all preachy-sounding. OK, I'm not.

not really i have a passport i have skills i can leave. :P

I know what you mean, Injin.

I would concur that the money numbers have now become so absurd that it is clear that the whole abstract money-number system is no longer corresponding with reality in any meaningful or sustainable way.

It's time for a new money system which better reflects and manages the real wealth of this beautiful world.

Would that be devaluation?

Scared? Yup.

I'm scared of the huge uncertainty of it all. My wife and I are reasonably well positioned to cope with whatever is coming (no house, no debts, savings, and good - relatively safe - jobs) but with all the talk of hyper inflation and empty supermarket shelves it's easy to feel swamped by it all. This forum seems to have become a 'prophet of doom' and its a strange form of addiction that sees me logging on at lunchtimes and the odd evening to hear about the impending doom.

I don't claim to understand the economics behind it (whilst HPC has taught me lots, the loftier concepts evade me) but l I've got a sense that we'll be ok in the long run. History shows us we're a dogged nation and a crisis should always bring the best out of people. The snakes will be flushed out of the grass (am I mixing metaphors there?) and maybe, just maybe we'll become a great nation again. This is my country and I won't close my eyes and see it become a shithole.

Edited by benzlife

True. Life & health are fragile. We don't appreciate good health until it leaves us. Worry causes ill health, or perhaps I should say chronic worry. Probably a little stress or challenge is good for us.

As for the 5 trillion, hasn't the government heard of Picture Loans? It can all be consolidated into one easy monthly repayment.

"Darling, Gordon's found ya shoota'..."

Edited by The Last Bear