House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sogy

Great Bull News - Prices In Belfast Stabilizing!

I was a subscriber to Pooler's "Exceptional Value" list, and this is what came in today:

"We have now removed our 'exceptionally good value' mailing list subscription from our website. Only some of you will have received details of properties some months back. If you would like to be kept up to date with properties coming on to the market with Pooler Estate Agents and you are not already on our main mailing list, click on the link below and subscribe.

www.poolerestateagents.com

Our observation would be that sales prices are stablizing and the majority of houses we place on the market are at sensible prices. If you are considering selling your house, why not try an on line valuation available on our website under MyHouseValue. This feature has recently returned to our website and is proving popular.

Best regards

Christopher Pooler

Pooler Estate Agents

028 9047 1777"

Stabilizing, stabilizing, stabilizing!!!!!!!!

I was a subscriber to Pooler's "Exceptional Value" list, and this is what came in today:

"We have now removed our 'exceptionally good value' mailing list subscription from our website. Only some of you will have received details of properties some months back. If you would like to be kept up to date with properties coming on to the market with Pooler Estate Agents and you are not already on our main mailing list, click on the link below and subscribe.

www.poolerestateagents.com

Our observation would be that sales prices are stablizing and the majority of houses we place on the market are at sensible prices. If you are considering selling your house, why not try an on line valuation available on our website under MyHouseValue. This feature has recently returned to our website and is proving popular.

Best regards

Christopher Pooler

Pooler Estate Agents

028 9047 1777"

Stabilizing, stabilizing, stabilizing!!!!!!!!

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

only time will tell , impo quite a few people will make fools of themselves with " green shoots" quotes before it turns out to be true ;)

only time will tell , impo quite a few people will make fools of themselves with " green shoots" quotes before it turns out to be true ;)

They aren't lying. Houses that are being put up for sale now are being put up at sensible values. Whether anyone buys them at the sensible values is another thing.

A lot of people who put their houses up in the summer of last year are refusing to accept their house is not worth that much anymore, and these are the ones who are dropping their values like flies as they one by one realise noone is going to hand over that amount for it.

Is Mr Pooler speaking for the whole Belfast property marketplace when he states this - or just the East Belfast property portfolio he has on his hands at present? He was always ahead of the curve in terms of being realistic on property values and as I remember correctly he likes to get out into the media before anyone else (I remember him swimming the other way on where property values had to come down to when all other EA's were saying very different things entirely). A much more refreshing EA approach.

The good thing is that the sale agreeds on the TDGTTS reports will identify if he is correct in his assessment. Just by looking at last week's report, http://www.treesdontgrowtothesky.com/repor...date=2009-01-18 with his one sale agreed I might suggest that he may be a little premature in his assessment of the marketplace.

If, as I suspect, the number of repos gets out of control thanks to the economic situation and the number of auctions and lots at auction increase then this could force a reassessment of the stabilisation assessment.

Edit: To add the link to the BBC repo story: "Possession orders 'almost double'"

Edited by paul65

They aren't lying. Houses that are being put up for sale now are being put up at sensible values. Whether anyone buys them at the sensible values is another thing.

A lot of people who put their houses up in the summer of last year are refusing to accept their house is not worth that much anymore, and these are the ones who are dropping their values like flies as they one by one realise noone is going to hand over that amount for it.

Any examples ?

It all depends on what you consider reasonable prices in East Belfast.

e.g. a decent 3-bed semi with south facing garden and a garage in a nice area would tempt me at £150k but that's only because they hit bonkers prices of >£300k at the peak.

To be honest, £125k for such a house would be much more in line with what is sensible and if the recession draws out then who knows how low prices could go.

Personally, I'd make the jump for sure if prices for said semi hit that £125k mark.

You also have to consider the possibility of rampant inflation heading our way as the currency devalues and the government nationalise the banking system and use it to helicopter large amounts of freshly printed money to the sheeple.

Slightly OT here but anyway.

2006 people wanted to buy a family home. House up with Pooler.

They were in a bidding war with a BTL purchaser. Above EA advised vendor to go with family offer as it was important to maintain affordable family homes in East Belfast !!!!

Vendor paid no heed and took the BTL offer.

I was impressed at the attempt and sentiment and would agree that this EA is slightly different from the norm.

Pity he's a bit off with the opinion in the email.

Edited by broken

good job no-one around here called the crash 3 years too early.

Slightly OT here but anyway.

2006 people wanted to buy a family home. House up with Pooler.

They were in a bidding war with a BTL purchaser. Above EA advised vendor to go with family offer as it was important to maintain affordable family homes in East Belfast !!!!

Vendor paid no heed and took the BTL offer.

I was impressed at the attempt and sentiment and would agree that this EA is slightly different from the norm.

Pity he's a bit off with the opinion in the email.

thats a refreshing story

is pooler an older guy?

obviously smarter than the typical ramping / denial feeder EA in his media quotes

really need some of that attitude here in n down

I got this email too...I would love to see some examples of these sensibly priced houses...

A friend of mine lives in Ohio; apparently the average wage is about $50K a year. Here's what you can get for less than 3.5 times average salary:

http://www.nexthome.com/detail.php?ID=3843922&query=

That's small of course by American standards, but the point being, you can get a decent house for less than 3.5x salary.

Say the average wage in NI is £21K...£21K*3.5=£73.5K.

There is only ONE house on the Pooler website that costs this much:

http://www.poolerestateagents.com/?req=%2F...c%26pagepc0%3D6

Edited by JoeDavola

is pooler an older guy?

Used to be Pooler Watson Estates and they were around forever. They spilt about 2004ish. I know I have met them both but couldn't judge an age for Pooler.

Between 45 - 60 ?

Have a funny feeling I read ages ago (years) that he reads this forum. Dont know if thats true.

A friend of mine lives in Ohio; apparently the average wage is about $50K a year. Here's what you can get for less than 3.5 times average salary:

Ah, that's Ohio! They have lotsa land, no Poles, no subsidies from London, Polish migrants or Peace Dividend...

Similarly, in North Carilina, where I used to live:

http://www.fmrealty.com/site/property/list...amp;whichpage=1

This ain't exaclty 3.5 average salary, but a crappy terrace in W. Belfast used to cost about a much in $s a wee while ago.

I know this house, it's only half a mile up the street from my own. The area is good, no chavs there, and you can walk in 15 minutes to the very downtown.

So, you can see that NI is a special place. Not to be compared with any other!

It all depends on what you consider reasonable prices in East Belfast.

e.g. a decent 3-bed semi with south facing garden and a garage in a nice area would tempt me at £150k but that's only because they hit bonkers prices of >£300k at the peak.

To be honest, £125k for such a house would be much more in line with what is sensible and if the recession draws out then who knows how low prices could go.

Personally, I'd make the jump for sure if prices for said semi hit that £125k mark.

You also have to consider the possibility of rampant inflation heading our way as the currency devalues and the government nationalise the banking system and use it to helicopter large amounts of freshly printed money to the sheeple.

http://www.propertynews.com/brochure.php?r...=1&sort=h2l

This is getting a bit more competitive.......... garden prob not the best though, what do you think?