House Price Crash Forum
It is different this time

The Largest Traveller Community In The Uk Will Be Forcibly Evicted

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20090122/tuk-tr...ng-45dbed5.html

The largest traveller community in the UK will be forcibly evicted from a farm in Essex, sparking fears of riots.

The Court of Appeal has ruled that 1,000 travellers living in Dale Farm in Essex can be moved on by Basildon Council.

Up to 50 families now face being forcibly removed from their homes from what is the largest traveller community in the UK, including more than 150 children.

Reacting to news evacuation, Dale Farm spokesman Grattan Puxon said: "We are not going to allow (our youngest) to be terrorised.

"We don't want bailiffs to come in, using force and heavy machinery around our children."

I hope it goes smoothly, the last thing you want is a riot when they 150 kids around!

If things get tough in the UK anyone who is part of a group that is at present 'tolerated' will probably be in for a tougher time than most; pity the bankers can't be singled out <_<

People are tribal animals and will revert to sticking to their tribe, if people feel their tribe is threatened they will close ranks and punish the weaker group.

I hope I'm wrong..

I suppose it will be local authority's responsibility to re-house the evicted families. Sort of an own-goal don't you think?

Edited by refugee

This is to deter people who are being repossessed to start living like travellers at the side of the road.

Thatcher did the same thing.

i feel sorry for them. they want to travel. they dont want to live conventionally, they get pushed from pillar to post and when they all settle in one place the authorities do their best to move them on.

on to where ?

they wont simply go and buy houses, they will just travel to another site and trash that.

at least the one in essex had a little tidyness and the police knew where they all were.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20090122/tuk-tr...ng-45dbed5.html

I hope it goes smoothly, the last thing you want is a riot when they 150 kids around!

Unfortunately, it is unlikely that there won't be any trouble. Near to where I live there was a similar incident of forced eviction.

The most sickening aspect was that the travellers in question had actually bought the land outright and developed it, allbeit without planning permission. They had installed drainage, roads, fences, all utilities and I have to say if it was a choice between living on their site or the scumhole council estate not 2 miles away I would have chosen the former any day.

The article below describes some of what took place-I can well remember at the time the local rag depicting a huge bonfire in the middle of the road to form a blockade as a desperate attempt to defend themselves against the riot police.

As far as I can tell, the residents of the site were bothering nobody, trying to improve their lot in life and the local council were way out of line in how they treated these people.

All in the name of protecting 'property rights' and a planning system designed to keep the serfs down where they belong and protect the 'landed gentry' who stole land enmasse many centuries ago. Appalling!!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-...ing-569654.html

Edited by stonethecrows

As far as I can tell, the residents of the site were bothering nobody, trying to improve their lot in life and the local council were way out of line in how they treated these people.

All in the name of protecting 'property rights' and a planning system designed to keep the serfs down where they belong and protect the 'landed gentry' who stole land enmasse many centuries ago. Appalling!!

thats what i like about traveling pikeys.

there born free and live free and die free.

their lives, not that much different to anyone elses, with the exception they wont line freeloaders pockets.

they wont pay tax, community charge or anything. what would you get back if you did ?

a bi-weekly bin collection and fines for not recycling while they expand airports for the rich with your income tax.

Ah yes, forgot to mention that little gem. I know one or 2 people who were there and the police it has to be said from the accounts I have heard behaved in the most reprehensible manner possible.

There is no excuse for that type of persecution against a group of people who were after all not harming anybody.

Also like the 'levellers' reference near the bottom of the wiki link ;) :

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Mp7qT_16AaM

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=XScq7NLRnYU

thats what i like about traveling pikeys.

there born free and live free and die free.

their lives, not that much different to anyone elses, with the exception they wont line freeloaders pockets.

they wont pay tax, community charge or anything. what would you get back if you did ?

a bi-weekly bin collection and fines for not recycling while they expand airports for the rich with your income tax.

Good, honest, hard working, kind spirited - these are just some of the words you never hear used to describe these lovely transient folks. I wonder why?

"Buy my lucky white heather - or else!"

Good, honest, hard working, kind spirited - these are just some of the words you never hear used to describe these lovely transient folks. I wonder why?

"Buy my lucky white heather - or else!"

Oh yes because the rest of 'settled' society is so much more civilised isn't it-"Sell us your oil - or else!"

Irish Pikeys mainly. Not Gypsys in the true sense of.

I'm totally against them getting any special treatment what so ever.

I dont not want to pay for thousands of economic migrants that believes they have a human right to live in a caravan. At my expense. Or one of those nice purpose built jobs paid, for by the tax payer.

Preferential planning, education and welfare.

I say Fork OFF back to Ireland.

Oh yes because the rest of 'settled' society is so much more civilised isn't it-"Sell us your oil - or else!"

Or even, "Buy our opium or else!" (One for our Chinese friends there).

Irish Pikeys mainly. Not Gypsys in the true sense of.

The difference being??!!

I'm totally against them getting any special treatment what so ever.

Such as?

I dont not want to pay for thousands of economic migrants that believes they have a human right to live in a caravan. At my expense. Or one of those nice purpose built jobs paid, for by the tax payer.

But purpose built council houses and housing association accommodation for those that never lift a finger is perfectly ok?

Preferential planning, education and welfare.

I say Fork OFF back to Ireland.

This last comment says a lot more about you than it does about travellers I think. Brainwashed, ignorant, racist little sh1tforbrains-well done!

This last comment says a lot more about you than it does about travellers I think. Brainwashed, ignorant, racist little sh1tforbrains-well done!

For you to say that tells me that you have never had any real contact with Pikeys and are just spouting and don't have a clue about what you are talking about.

Why don't you join the Labour Party, they would just love someone like you.

There is still institutional discrimination against travellers, whether Romany gypsies, Irish travellers or new-age travellers.

Yes I know there are problems on both sides, but these people need space to live.

As I understand it, Romany gypsies are descended from tribes of Aryan Indians who were sent to Persia as landless musicians and gradually spread from there. Ironically Hitler hijacked the term 'Aryan' to describe the supposed German race, while killing over 300,000 gypsies in the holocaust.

Irish travellers - who face a lot of discrimination in Ireland too, are thought to be decscended partly from the 'indigenous' pre-Celtic Irish people and partly from dispossessed smallholders.

Edited by blankster

For you to say that tells me that you have never had any real contact with Pikeys and are just spouting and don't have a clue about what you are talking about.

Yeah; if you like Labour so much, why don't you go live there?

Oh dear Byron-so very wrong on all counts. Why don't you join the BNP ( if you haven't already done so) they would just love someone as idiotic and easily indoctrinated as you.

From the little I know this lot can hardly be described a travellers. Didnt they buy some land and then build on it without planning permission? Permanent housing? Isn't that what they want? houses? to live in?

Perhaps they are just a group of people who couldn't afford to buy houses - Priced out because of GB's insane HPI.

Me thinks if they'd have nipped it in the bud the problem might not be quite so bad. Kicked them out at the first sign of building. But no, it gets tossed around useless council workers and f*cked up legal parasites for years and years and years. All the while they are building, investing in their homes, laying down roots in the area.

When the council/courts finally get their act together, Its no longer a case of moving a few travellers on. Oh no. You are evicting families from their houses and kicking them out on the street.

They ain't gonna like that.

Edited by sbn

If things get tough in the UK anyone who is part of a group that is at present 'tolerated' will probably be in for a tougher time than most; pity the bankers can't be singled out <_<

People are tribal animals and will revert to sticking to their tribe, if people feel their tribe is threatened they will close ranks and punish the weaker group.

I hope I'm wrong..

Don't think you are. Liberals can be very unliberal when it suits them.

The difference being??!!

Massive.

Such as?

See below..

But purpose built council houses and housing association accommodation for those that never lift a finger is perfectly ok?

Then let them join the queue. Dont have problem with that. Not that I wholly believe in social housing

Oh dear ... cant argue the truth therefore resort to character assignations. Juvenile at best....

Please give me some reasons why I should fund a certain group people that wish to live in a caravan and or move around. Expect washing and toilet facilities and educate their offspring.

I have friends that have caravans …they don’t site their vans where they like. They also expect to pay for what they use. Why are these people any different.

Were you once a “New Age” traveller that could handle the cold ???