House Price Crash Forum
shindigger

Just Turned On The News

Repos shot up.

People in arrears shot up.

Browns plans appear to be in tatters.

Come on Kanute, fall on your sword you ******er.

Its clear that people are so in hock, that a huge proportion of job losses will translate in to repos.

They have nothing to fall back on.

Records will be smashed on the way to the bottom.

That's odd. I always thought offies did well in recessions. I guess it could mean that people jumped ship from the pub to the off license 12 months ago but now are seriously cutting down their booze bill.

That's odd. I always thought offies did well in recessions. I guess it could mean that people jumped ship from the pub to the off license 12 months ago but now are seriously cutting down their booze bill.

They had a 40% off sale before Xmas. Still couldnt find anything worth buying.

Quenched.

Buy into meths futures.

The supermarkets are cheaper than the local off license. People are chasing value. People will probably drink more in the recession but they will chase the cheapest booze. Future for small local shops is very bleak.

Their 40% off deal was a crock of cr4p as you couldn't use it on any of their 3 for 2 offers (which accounted for just about everything). When you broke it down it was more of a 7.3% of deal on already expensive lines.

That`s it, you can get four decent cans of sainsburys beer for under three quid, or a big bottle of cider for the same money.

The people who just want to get bevvied know how to do it cheap. The conspicous consumption brigade are going to be very muted from now on. To me threshers is a boom time business, relying on middle class types or young proffessionals who are going to spend 50 - 100 quid on wine for a dinner party 2 or 3 times a month, and think it`s great to get a "deal" like an extra bottle thrown in. In Victoria wines last night the young guy and girl serving were sitting up on the counter chatting. When I came in they went into "serve the punter mode". A lot of young people in these shops are stoner types like the guys from "Clerks" and "Clerks 2", even if they could muster some enthusiasim it won`t stop shops closing if no one comes in?

That`s it, you can get four decent cans of sainsburys beer for under three quid, or a big bottle of cider for the same money.

The people who just want to get bevvied know how to do it cheap. The conspicous consumption brigade are going to be very muted from now on. To me threshers is a boom time business, relying on middle class types or young proffessionals who are going to spend 50 - 100 quid on wine for a dinner party 2 or 3 times a month, and think it`s great to get a "deal" like an extra bottle thrown in. In Victoria wines last night the young guy and girl serving were sitting up on the counter chatting. When I came in they went into "serve the punter mode". A lot of young people in these shops are stoner types like the guys from "Clerks" and "Clerks 2", even if they could muster some enthusiasim it won`t stop shops closing if no one comes in?

Sains were selling 4 tins of Becks for £2.50 3 weeks ago.

Nearly snapped my back axle :P

Conversely, i went to the Langham for rearranged Xmas drinks last week and 2 bottles of Peroni were £13...

No, i wasn't paying.

Edited by shindigger

No great loss to the wine world. They have been scrabbling around for USP for a while and failed to find it. Their aproach of oveinflating the headline price and then deep discounting on a very ordinary range of branded wines was never going to work. Sad for their staff and the high street in general though!

They had a 40% off sale before Xmas. Still couldnt find anything worth buying.

Quenched.

Was it them that virally released a voucher again? I suspect after the success of the previous year they had to be careful not to give the booze away.

It's the supermarkets, different ball game these days. In previous recessions the only place to buy booze out of 'office hours' was an off license or the pub, now you can pop down to the 24 hour Sainsburys any time you fancy.

My dad used to own an offie in the early 90s..

Cans of beer are the same price or even less than what they were 15 or even 20 years ago.

I dont drink wine or spirits so not sure how they compare. But i doubt if they have kept up with inflation either.

If unit prices arent going up but your rent and rates are, then you arent going to be in buisness for very long unless can somehow manage to increase your turnover year on year.. Thats no going to happen in this economic climate..

It's the supermarkets, different ball game these days. In previous recessions the only place to buy booze out of 'office hours' was an off license or the pub, now you can pop down to the 24 hour Sainsburys any time you fancy.

Can they sell booze 24 hours though? I thought it was only certain pubs/clubs.

Sains were selling 4 tins of Becks for £2.50 3 weeks ago.

Nearly snapped my back axle :P

Conversely, i went to the Langham for rearranged Xmas drinks last week and 2 bottles of Peroni were £13...

No, i wasn't paying.

"Is that a body in the back sir" "no officer" "Hic"

They shut the booze isle out of licensing hours (11am-11pm) and the tills throw a warning if they try to scan it.

Thats what I thought, cos if they sold it all the time, there would hardly be a pub left open in the land, people would just be lying in the street pissing themselves and being sick.

The supermarkets are making profits through all of this - they will be the only ones who win. Soon they will all team up and form one gigantic food corporation.

Soylent Green anyone?

It is impressive that the supermarkets are actually profitable during this. Supermarkets are a great business model. I find specialty shops cool, but then I think about having to drive over to the shop, find parking and so on. Its easier just to get things at one stop shopping, plus at lower prices.

They shut the booze isle out of licensing hours (11am-11pm) and the tills throw a warning if they try to scan it.

Seems a bit outdated really, which should really only be applicable to pubs. Most people buy booze in bulk from the supermarket, so what difference does it matter what time you buy it?

Thats what I thought, cos if they sold it all the time, there would hardly be a pub left open in the land, people would just be lying in the street pissing themselves and being sick.

Yeah, like they don't already! :lol:

Seems a bit outdated really?

Unwins - once quite a big chain around here - folded a year or so ago.

I'm waiting for the local newsagents to fold now that all the supers sell papers, chocs and cigs.

A fairly hostile and expensive council parking regime has probably helped to deter people from going round the corner these days.

Seems a bit outdated really, which should really only be applicable to pubs. Most people buy booze in bulk from the supermarket, so what difference does it matter what time you buy it?

Yeah, I agree - the only reason I know about the limitations of supermarket alcohol buying is being stopped from buying a bottle of wine or some beer on a Sunday morning as I'm hoping to have a nice bottle of wine with my dinner.

It's feeble really - as if alcoholics with enough foresight to shop at a supermarket wouldn't be able to plan around the licensing times.