House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Lee Harvey Oswald

Barclays Fallen Off A Cliff Again

Am sure they were up around 10% when I looked 20 mins ago, but now down 17%.

What happened?

Cocaine is effective for about an hour. Effects have worn off and we await the post lunchtime re-snort rise.

Am sure they were up around 10% when I looked 20 mins ago, but now down 17%.

What happened?

I think it was the Abu Dhabi story that was already priced in.

exactly barclays has a poison pill in the stock they sold to the middle east which effectively states they cant have thier holdings diluted. they would have to contribute free stockk to abu dhabi if the gubmint started lifting the shares.

exactly barclays has a poison pill in the stock they sold to the middle east which effectively states they cant have thier holdings diluted. they would have to contribute free stockk to abu dhabi if the gubmint started lifting the shares.

unless the gov crams them down. I recall that TCW (?) had the same agreement with Wamu, but were glad to waive it for someone else to come in and commit capital.

That Arab Money deal looks worse and worse. All because they didn't want to have give up their juicy bonuses by accepting the government bailout. Now government rescue or even a private bailout is closed to them, and the only option is liquidation. The Board should be arrested and flogged.

I vote for the killer clause in the Dubai bailout deal. This makes it a lot less likely that HMG will rescue Barclays, because they only way they could do so would be either to pay an overinflated share price or to nationalise by force, thereby effectively defaulting on a sovereign debt (with all the implications that would have for our overseas borrowing ability).

So the emergence of this clause has made it significantly more likely that if it comes to it, Barclays will be allowed to sink.

Edited by The Ayatollah Bugheri

I vote for the killer clause in the Dubai bailout deal. This makes it a lot less likely that HMG will rescue Barclays, because they only way they could do so would be either to pay an overinflated share price or to nationalise by force, thereby effectively defaulting on a sovereign debt (with all the implications that would have for our overseas borrowing ability).

So the emergence of this clause has made it significantly more likely that if it comes to it, Barclays will be allowed to sink.

More likely, Barclays will simply be given money on better terms as nationalisation is impossible. Barclay's will not be allowed to sink, by the UK, USA and then EU because the banking system is too precarious as it is.

I still think it was a good move to avoid the first 'bailout' which crippled the banks who accepted it. I noticed they have softened the terms now.

I think Barclays is too big to fail, and also covered by HMG's airy fairy "your money's safe in British banks" guarantee.

If needs be Abu Dhabi will be told to waive their clause or end up owning 40% of nothing.

Think of this as a buying opportunity. The poison pill expires on June 30, so if Barclays survives there should be a share bounce then when it becomes elegible for a cash injection.

;)

All these banks have more skeletons in the closet than they have people working for them.

Barclay have managed to add an extra one with this Arab money deal. Pure genius. And driven by exactly the same kind of thinking that caused this whole mess.

I've always hated the banks but Barclays was the first one I fell out with. How do I feel about all this?.... :lol::lol::lol:

I think Barclays is too big to fail, and also covered by HMG's airy fairy "your money's safe in British banks" guarantee.

If needs be Abu Dhabi will be told to waive their clause or end up owning 40% of nothing.

Think of this as a buying opportunity. The poison pill expires on June 30, so if Barclays survives there should be a share bounce then when it becomes elegible for a cash injection.

;)

IMO there will come a point when 'they' will have to let at least one major bank go to the wall.

By not playing ball, Barclays have made themselves the number one candidate.