House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Dodohouse

Moving To New Place

First of all like to say many thanks for the advice on here,especially the haggling on the rent.

I'm switching properties middle of next month and looking to rent a new place for 6 months

I went to see a house yesterday,the asking price was 500pm i managed to haggle it down to 400pm,before i went to see the house.

Anyway when i got there met the agent and LL they told me that the Gas tank was nearly empty and that i would have to pay 500pm in rent to cover the cost of filling it up.

I said that i couldn't agree to that because i would never use that much in the period i was going to be there.

They said that i could fill it up and they would reemburse me when i left,i'm a bit worried about this especially when he said that the minimum order is 1000 litres with British Gas.

So what are my options here?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Also when he said that i would be responsible for the garden i told him that i had no tools,he didn't like that very much.

He then said that i could borroww a strimmer off him. lol

So i'm going to take pictures of the whole house and garden if i move in.

When i questioned him about protecting the deposit he was vary vague on this,i asked him where he would have it protected.

Question is is he required by law now to have it put into a third party holding?

Many thanks in advance for any advice regarding these 2 questions.

Regds

Dodohouse

First of all like to say many thanks for the advice on here,especially the haggling on the rent.

I'm switching properties middle of next month and looking to rent a new place for 6 months

I went to see a house yesterday,the asking price was 500pm i managed to haggle it down to 400pm,before i went to see the house.

Anyway when i got there met the agent and LL they told me that the Gas tank was nearly empty and that i would have to pay 500pm in rent to cover the cost of filling it up.

I said that i couldn't agree to that because i would never use that much in the period i was going to be there.

They said that i could fill it up and they would reemburse me when i left,i'm a bit worried about this especially when he said that the minimum order is 1000 litres with British Gas.

So what are my options here?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Also when he said that i would be responsible for the garden i told him that i had no tools,he didn't like that very much.

He then said that i could borroww a strimmer off him. lol

So i'm going to take pictures of the whole house and garden if i move in.

When i questioned him about protecting the deposit he was vary vague on this,i asked him where he would have it protected.

Question is is he required by law now to have it put into a third party holding?

Many thanks in advance for any advice regarding these 2 questions.

Regds

Dodohouse

Property with oil or tanked gas tend to be a hassle, oil is easier because you can get it from any supplier at the spot day price in any quantity you wish over 500 litres, with gas you are restricted to buying gas from the owner of the tank so who ever provides the tank sells you the oil as some exorbitant rate, sounds like BG in here

So when you take over the tenancy you also take over the agreement to buy gas, it is no longer an agreement with the LL and he can not force you to pay for gas upfront..... however if the minimum order is a 1000 litre that will cost you about £500 which you will have to fork out for upfront so paying the extra £100 with no interest charge is actually a good deal provided you have an agreement to refund the price of any unused gas at the price paid in a clause in the contract. Also make sure the agreement says the rent is £400 and you are paying an extra £100 for gas and that the LL must provide an invoice from the BG so that you know the cost of the gas and only pay for the gas used and not give extra to the LL

To give you some idea of gas usage in litres, a 3 bed house will require about 2000 litres during the 4 winter months and 500 through late spring to early autumn (a lot I know, I live in a 5 bed and it eats 3500 litres of oil a year) so I would expect you to use most of the 1000 litres in a six month period.

On the deposit he must place the deposit in the TDS protection scheme by law, if he does not he can not evict you under a section 21 notice (i.e. giving you notice) and you can take him to court to request your deposit be placed in the TDS, if he fails to do so by the time you get to a court hearing, he must pay back both your deposit and 3x the amount of your deposit.

On the gardening, either buy some tools/mower or get a gardener unless you want to the pay the LL extra for a gardener, it is perfectly reasonable for a LL to expect you to look after the property as it given to you.

Edited by Matt Henson

Property with oil or tanked gas tend to be a hassle, oil is easier because you can get it from any supplier at the spot day price in any quantity you wish over 500 litres, with gas you are restricted to buying gas from the owner of the tank so who ever provides the tank sells you the oil as some exorbitant rate, sounds like BG in here

So when you take over the tenancy you also take over the agreement to buy gas, it is no longer an agreement with the LL and he can not force you to pay for gas upfront..... however if the minimum order is a 1000 litre that will cost you about £500 which you will have to fork out for upfront so paying the extra £100 with no interest charge is actually a good deal provided you have an agreement to refund the price of any unused gas at the price paid in a clause in the contract. Also make sure the agreement says the rent is £400 and you are paying an extra £100 for gas and that the LL must provide an invoice from the BG so that you know the cost of the gas and only pay for the gas used and not give extra to the LL

To give you some idea of gas usage in litres, a 3 bed house will require about 2000 litres during the 4 winter months and 500 through late spring to early autumn (a lot I know, I live in a 5 bed and it eats 3500 litres of oil a year) so I would expect you to use most of the 1000 litres in a six month period.

On the deposit he must place the deposit in the TDS protection scheme by law, if he does not he can not evict you under a section 21 notice (i.e. giving you notice) and you can take him to court to request your deposit be placed in the TDS, if he fails to do so by the time you get to a court hearing, he must pay back both your deposit and 3x the amount of your deposit.

On the gardening, either buy some tools/mower or get a gardener unless you want to the pay the LL extra for a gardener, it is perfectly reasonable for a LL to expect you to look after the property as it given to you.

Thanks for the reply apolgise for the delay in answering,had my internet cut off.

I've decided to take another property with another agent,was not confident with this one as he was changing the rules all the time.

My issue with the gas was that at my last property i only used a quarter tank in 6 months,out of the country for half the year that's why i would not agree to paying extra per month.The landlord took a reading at the start and end of the period and billed me for my useage out of the deposit.Found this to be fair.

It concerned me to fill the tank up as i wasn't confident on getting some refund if i left the property after 6 months.

I don't agree with the gardening as i'm only renting the house but would have no problem with doing the upkeep if they provided the tools.

Regds

Dodohouse