House Price Crash Forum
waitingscot

Dubai Just Gets Better

What ever convinced "property inverstors" that this medieval hell hole was the next big thing anyhow?

It would serve them right if everyone abandoned Dubia completely to their backward ways and investors lost 100% of their money.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7844466.stm

:rolleyes:

When their oil runs out, or we stop buying it because we develop somthing better, the whole region will revert back to warring tribes of Camel jockeys slaughtering one another.

Like I said the other week in relation to Iraq; they don't want democracy, it is a foreign concept to them. They prefer being subjugated by a religious or just plain evil dictator and nothing is going to change that any time soon. The whole region isn't woth the life of a single British soldier.

Been there a couple of times, last time in 1999. They were building like billy-o then but at least it was very cheap to eat out and you could get very cheap clothes, CDs and electrical goods, mostly fake and a 'Sony' Walkman I bought fell apart in 4 months. Some stuff IS genuine but is made for the Middle East Area only, so not the same standard (don't believe the 'worldwide warranty' crap the sellers spin). Still got 'Calvin Klein' and 'Nike' polo shirts. Very well sewn together actually. Made in Thailand I think.

Even then they were just building loads of air-conditioned malls for shopping in, using imported labour for everything from shop staff to road building and it is so hot (45C - 50C in July and August), I couldn't see the mass appeal.

Now that I hear all the open air markets and souk areas have been 'upgraded' or closed, it seems they have tried to make it a rich playground and it'll backfire on them. I wonder if Thank God its Thursdays is still there? (Copyright not very strongly enforced)

No sympathy whatsoever. She should have known (or had the nouse to find out) that Muslim countries don't take kindly to that sort of thing, and if she didn't want the authorities poking their noses into her bedroom, gone to a country where they don't. Hadn't she read the news stories about the 'sex on the beach' couple?

'When in Rome...' and all that.

If you read the article, you'll see she was originally arrested in March 2008. That 'sex' on the beach furore didn't hit the headlines until July 2008. You could say she deserved it for marrying an Egyptian, what do you expect? ;)

No sympathy whatsoever. She should have known (or had the nouse to find out) that Muslim countries don't take kindly to that sort of thing, and if she didn't want the authorities poking their noses into her bedroom, gone to a country where they don't. Hadn't she read the news stories about the 'sex on the beach' couple?

'When in Rome...' and all that.

To be fair, we have no details of the case. We have no idea if there is an actual evidence (dna tested condom, video etc) or simply a jealous accusation from a well connected man.

Given that middle eastern courts can still convict people for witchcraft you can't treat a conviction with the same degree of certainty that you can with a western evidence based system.

They shouldn't arrest people and lock them up for adultery.. he should just be allowed to sue her for breach of contract and that be the end of it.

Given that middle eastern courts can still convict people for witchcraft you can't treat a conviction with the same degree of certainty that you can with a western evidence based system.

The middle eastern countries also have a widespread and well-known reputation for corrupt and ineffective legal systems. Hence the unwritten rule in Saudi Arabia that if you want to drink booze, do so discreetly, in your own compound and only in the company of your compatriots. The only people that have been jailed/flogged/beheaded in such places are people who have either urinated off well-connected people in such a way that only someone naive or stupid would do, or committed the relevant 'offence' in such a way as to draw attention to themselves.

Granted, we don't know the facts of the case: but I'd speculate that the root of it is almost certainly that this woman failed to do her homework on the laws and customs of the place before going. Even the Foreign Office page on the UAE gives you the basics:

Sex outside of marriage is illegal, and problems will be encountered if an unmarried woman gives birth in the UAE. These problems can range from a refusal to issue a birth certificate to arrest and imprisonment. A marriage certificate has to be provided to the UAE authorities to obtain a birth certificate. Cohabitation, adultery and homosexual behaviour are also illegal.
Edited by The Ayatollah Bugheri

When their oil runs out, or we stop buying it because we develop somthing better, the whole region will revert back to warring tribes of Camel jockeys slaughtering one another.

Like I said the other week in relation to Iraq; they don't want democracy, it is a foreign concept to them. They prefer being subjugated by a religious or just plain evil dictator and nothing is going to change that any time soon. The whole region isn't woth the life of a single British soldier.

Theres not much oil in Dubai.Thats why they are trying to be the next Singapore.

Theres not much oil in Dubai.Thats why they are trying to be the next Singapore.

Don't laugh at Dubai. Labour has brought in an imprisonable offence every four days since it took office.

When it has run out of smoking offences, bonking will be next.

Don't laugh at Dubai. Labour has brought in an imprisonable offence every four days since it took office.

When it has run out of smoking offences, bonking will be next.

yeah, they have still to refine the bin fines system. pay as you bin and other 'eco taxes.

i mean, they have to recover some of this 200 billion they gave to banks somehow.

oh eco taxes, why do you need a 3rd runway ?

yeah, they have still to refine the bin fines system. pay as you bin and other 'eco taxes.

i mean, they have to recover some of this 200 billion they gave to banks somehow.

oh eco taxes, why do you need a 3rd runway ?

So you can collect more carbon taxes..