House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TINY TARTAN TERROR

Getting Out Of Ast

Posted on here before and got some great advice, situation now is I am fed up and want to move. Signed 6 month ast last June, had no end of problems and bad luck but nice house and I couldn`t be bothered to moved again.

Ll increased the rent by 8% in Dec to £700 and I signed a years lease, (i know, i know) but was mentally exhausted after my run of bad luck.

Anyway now I am fighting fit and peed off as house has electric and gas meters and heat literally going through the roof, meters have been in here for years, and the house is still freezing, plus boiler is 15 years old so will probably die soon.

Combined fuel must be costing me about £200 a month. Only me and him and we are hardly in the house.

Ll is a young pup who bought at peak in 2007 and couldn`t afford it themself after a year, so is accidental ll.

Thinking of just telling ll how fed up I am, other rents competitive, house not economically viable for me, noisy road is beginning to get on my wick etc, what do you think?

Any advice welcome

Posted on here before and got some great advice, situation now is I am fed up and want to move. Signed 6 month ast last June, had no end of problems and bad luck but nice house and I couldn`t be bothered to moved again.

Ll increased the rent by 8% in Dec to £700 and I signed a years lease, (i know, i know) but was mentally exhausted after my run of bad luck.

Anyway now I am fighting fit and peed off as house has electric and gas meters and heat literally going through the roof, meters have been in here for years, and the house is still freezing, plus boiler is 15 years old so will probably die soon.

Combined fuel must be costing me about £200 a month. Only me and him and we are hardly in the house.

Ll is a young pup who bought at peak in 2007 and couldn`t afford it themself after a year, so is accidental ll.

Thinking of just telling ll how fed up I am, other rents competitive, house not economically viable for me, noisy road is beginning to get on my wick etc, what do you think?

Any advice welcome

If the LL lives in the house with you and you share the facilities of the house, then you contract can not be an AST (see http://www.letlink.co.uk/letting-statutes/...ent%20landlords ),

You are in theory simply a lodger and can walk at any time as a lodging agreement hold no real water in court as it is not protected by law

Edited by Matt Henson

If the LL lives in the house with you and you share the facilities of the house, then you contract can not be an AST (see http://www.letlink.co.uk/letting-statutes/...ent%20landlords ),

You are in theory simply a lodger and can walk at any time as a lodging agreement hold no real water in court as it is not protected by law

When she says only me and him, I read it as her refering to her and her boyfriend/partner and not a live in LL. O/P could you confirm.

When she says only me and him, I read it as her refering to her and her boyfriend/partner and not a live in LL. O/P could you confirm.

Fair point, that being the case, I guess she would need to check for a break clause or do a deal such as paying reasonable re-letting fees in return or find a new tenant. I seem to recall she had a nighmare with her last LL

O/P can you also confirm where the property is, I note you state you are from Scotland.

Yes I am in Scotland, thanks to Matt for remembering my woes the last time, this time is no better, was only in property 7wks and received repo order which ll sorted out eventually, but was extremely stressful at the same time, ll was no help so started looking for other properties, ended up miscarrying and then had a car crash, hence it`s taken me some time to get my fight back.

Also various visits from the police in regards to her ex, who she had bought the house with but am led to believe now has nothing to do with it.

Boiler, at the grand age of 14 went on the blink, so whilst waiting for a numpty to come out, I googled the fault and fixed it myself by pressing a trip switch, still can`t believe I done that.

Stupid

Yes I am in Scotland, thanks to Matt for remembering my woes the last time, this time is no better, was only in property 7wks and received repo order which ll sorted out eventually, but was extremely stressful at the same time, ll was no help so started looking for other properties, ended up miscarrying and then had a car crash, hence it`s taken me some time to get my fight back.

Also various visits from the police in regards to her ex, who she had bought the house with but am led to believe now has nothing to do with it.

Boiler, at the grand age of 14 went on the blink, so whilst waiting for a numpty to come out, I googled the fault and fixed it myself by pressing a trip switch, still can`t believe I done that.

Stupid

Having spend 6 year of my life on a windswept hill side next to Loch Leven (Kinross not Argyll) I know just how valuable working heating is in your neck of the woods, our used to conk out all the time and it was new. I rememer boiling pans of water to have a bath cos it was a combi boiler so no imersion heater

Sorry to hear about your nightmare year, I hope 2009 is much better

Edited by Matt Henson

Having spend 6 year of my life on a windswept hill side next to Loch Leven (Kinross not Argyll) I know just how valuable working heating is in your neck of the woods, our used to conk out all the time and it was new. I rememer boiling pans of water to have a bath cos it was a combi boiler so no imersion heater

Sorry to hear about your nightmare year, I hope 2009 is much better

Thanks for your sentiments Matt, would love to toss ll off said windswept hill.

Slightly familiar with Hungerford, my aunt ran a cosmetic company there years ago and I spent a few years in Newbury working for Vodafone, surprise surprise. Spent my days working in Woodlands, and my nights drinking in the Dolphin.

Thanks to all for your replies, well this morning I got up and guess what? Correct, one very dead boiler, txt ll and she replied saying she would come out herself and have a look, and all sorts of stupid questions and statements so now waiting for engineer that she will get billed for.

And to add to the circus, I phoned the Hydro to ask why my meters were swallowing so much money and they told me that previous tenant, i.e ll, owes them "quite a lot of money" but not to worry I`ve to fax over a copy of lease agreement and they will sort out the debt and get an engineer to come out and clear the meter.

Apparently she had asked the Hydro if she could pay the debt through the meter, which means I AM PAYING HER DEBT!!

OMG I am so bloody angry.

What should I do? Stop her rent, get a solicitor?

Apparently she had asked the Hydro if she could pay the debt through the meter, which means I AM PAYING HER DEBT!!

:lol:

Presumably that means he now owes you whatever you've thusly paid. Can you get a statement from the hydro?

:lol:

Presumably that means he now owes you whatever you've thusly paid. Can you get a statement from the hydro?

Just phoned them and £657 on the electric, god knows what is on the gas, find out shortly. Plus I have had to take emergency day off work, from my job with the emergency services, to wait on gas man.

I may just spontaneously combust.

Thanks to all for your replies, well this morning I got up and guess what? Correct, one very dead boiler, txt ll and she replied saying she would come out herself and have a look, and all sorts of stupid questions and statements so now waiting for engineer that she will get billed for.

And to add to the circus, I phoned the Hydro to ask why my meters were swallowing so much money and they told me that previous tenant, i.e ll, owes them "quite a lot of money" but not to worry I`ve to fax over a copy of lease agreement and they will sort out the debt and get an engineer to come out and clear the meter.

OMG I am so bloody angry.

What should I do? Stop her rent, get a solicitor?

Get a solicitor. There is going to be trouble. I suspect she will refuse to reimburse you for the engineer. Your LL sounds like a right chancer. The meter is just hilarious...what cheek!

Sorry to hear you have had such trouble with renting. I have had some bad landlords, but most have been okay. My current LL is quite good actually.

Just phoned them and £657 on the electric, god knows what is on the gas, find out shortly. Plus I have had to take emergency day off work, from my job with the emergency services, to wait on gas man.

I may just spontaneously combust.

That is just plain fraudulent and there is absolutely no reason why you can not legitimately use "set off" to cover the cost. Make sure everything is very well documents and accurate and send a letter recorded delivery with the evidence asking her to pay the amount owed otherwise you will deduct it from the next rent, give her two week to reply and if she doesn't just reduce the rent by that amount it is legal to do so but you need to make sure everything is backed up in writing.

My last LL was stealing electricity off my supply to run freezers in her garage, I disconnected the supply at the switch board and ask her to pay the debt, she didn't so I deducted it from the rent. After that her food went bad and she then negociated a rent dedcution to keep the power on but not before threatening legal action to recover the cost of the food. I reminded her that stealing my electricty was a criminal offence and any claim in court might just fall over if she had no right the electricity in the first place.

As for the boiler, just get agreement in writing that you will pay and will deduct the cost from the rent, that way there is no argument and the boiler gets fixed quick.

It`s no wonder lls get a bad rep.

Engineer came out, nice call out charge for her of £100, then at least £400 for parts and then the labour so prob more than the rent, have to wait for parts which is fair enough, have bought 2 portable heaters and sending her the bill. She has no qualms about paying for these and boiler.

Have to fax Hydro copy of lease and they will send me statement for both meters and then I am sending her official letter demanding payment.

I know she struggles for money plus she is financial advisor (belly laughs) no probably no work just now, not my problem.

Once boiler is repaired going to tell her to shove sat as she is in breach by leaving me without hot water for at least 3 days, never mind the meter situation!, and I`m looking for something else.

Going to cab for number for solicitor on Monday.

What you think?

Once boiler is repaired going to tell her to shove sat as she is in breach by leaving me without hot water for at least 3 days, never mind the meter situation!, and I`m looking for something else.

Going to cab for number for solicitor on Monday.

What you think?

Umm. Ask the CAB about that. Yes, being without HOT water for 3 days is a pain, but not actually her fault, in that if a boiler breaks down all she can do is to get (or allow you to get) a repair organised as soon as humanly possible - which has happened. A LL can't wave a magic wand to sort these things out, and three days without HOT water isn't a danger to health.

The meter business, that's a lot more serious, as it could imply fraud.

+1

After no comms from her all wknd, ph gas engineer to chase her up, he ph me back to adv that he got hold of her (after me giving her the number 4 days ago to order parts as it`s her money) and parts have been ordered so should have hot water and heating in the next couple days. This is a converted church so you imagine the big freeze!

She has not contacted me to say all is in hand etc.

No matter anyway as I should get statement from Hydro this afternoon re the debt.

Viewing another house at 2pm this afternoon.

After no comms from her all wknd, ph gas engineer to chase her up, he ph me back to adv that he got hold of her (after me giving her the number 4 days ago to order parts as it`s her money) and parts have been ordered so should have hot water and heating in the next couple days. This is a converted church so you imagine the big freeze!

She has not contacted me to say all is in hand etc.

No matter anyway as I should get statement from Hydro this afternoon re the debt.

Viewing another house at 2pm this afternoon.

Have you contemplated buying the place outright?

Distressed assets go cheap. Think last week´s news: London Evening Standard sold for £1.

Have you contemplated buying the place outright?

Distressed assets go cheap. Think last week´s news: London Evening Standard sold for £1.

Too expensive and tbh had too much of a nightmare that I just want out now. Heating now back on with minimum repair despite boiler being 14 years old and engineer telling her unless other repairs carried out it will stop working shortly, also entire system to be drained but 4hrs work but she`s not agreeing to that. Not my job to do that plus the amount of hours I work, I ain`t spending precious free time doing that.

Latest on Hydro is, at least £1200 combined debt on both meters, this is after I have paid approx £500 off in the past 8 months.

Combine that with visits from bailiffs and police last year looking for her, repossession letters, boiler breaking down twice and her reluctance to get it repaired think I have grounds for breaking tenancy agreement as I have not been able to live in peace.

What say you?

Too expensive and tbh had too much of a nightmare that I just want out now. Heating now back on with minimum repair despite boiler being 14 years old and engineer telling her unless other repairs carried out it will stop working shortly, also entire system to be drained but 4hrs work but she`s not agreeing to that. Not my job to do that plus the amount of hours I work, I ain`t spending precious free time doing that.

Latest on Hydro is, at least £1200 combined debt on both meters, this is after I have paid approx £500 off in the past 8 months.

Combine that with visits from bailiffs and police last year looking for her, repossession letters, boiler breaking down twice and her reluctance to get it repaired think I have grounds for breaking tenancy agreement as I have not been able to live in peace.

What say you?

Didn't you say you liked the house?

Your landlord obviously can't afford to keep it. Can you, without a mortgage? Unless upkeep alone[1] exceeds the rent you currently pay, the answer should be yes.

So, time to offer that £1 to take on the house and its debts[2]. Or if you're feeling generous, offer a month's rent ;)

[1] Budget to pay professional tradesmen for whatever needs doing. In the absence of a landlord, it's their job to take that hassle off your hands.

[2] Subject to contract - in case there's something much worse than you know about lurking.

Didn't you say you liked the house?

Your landlord obviously can't afford to keep it. Can you, without a mortgage? Unless upkeep alone[1] exceeds the rent you currently pay, the answer should be yes.

So, time to offer that £1 to take on the house and its debts[2]. Or if you're feeling generous, offer a month's rent ;)

[1] Budget to pay professional tradesmen for whatever needs doing. In the absence of a landlord, it's their job to take that hassle off your hands.

[2] Subject to contract - in case there's something much worse than you know about lurking.

:lol: Rent is 700 a month and her mortgage is 1100 so she has 400 shortfall every month, she`d never get 1100 a monht for it. House was 140k and 30k of that is one of those nr take out a loan and use it as a deposit type of things.

What say you?

Bloody hell.... that is serious fraud, one for the police me thinks, if only to record the complaint for future use

Time to talk to CAB for some tangible advice

btw have you asked the LL if she is registered

https://www.landlordregistrationscotland.go...nd=ShowHomePage

Might be fun, not sure what the conciquence of not registering is though the FAQ bit is not working, I wish we had this scheme in England, my ex-LL would fail to get registered

Edit: Found it the conciquences are quite serious http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2008/07/17153219/0 its cool legislation take a look

http://scotland.shelter.org.uk/getadvice/a..._payable_orders

Renterbob you will love this, if a rent penalty notice is issued the tenant does not need to pay the rent....!!!

Edited by Matt Henson

Bloody hell.... that is serious fraud, one for the police me thinks, if only to record the complaint for future use

Might be fun, not sure what the conciquence of not registering is though the FAQ bit is not working, I wish we had this scheme in England, my ex-LL would fail to get registered

Edit: Found it the conciquences are quite serious http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2008/07/17153219/0 its cool legislation take a look

Renterbob you will love this, if a rent penalty notice is issued the tenant does not need to pay the rent....!!!

I feel my Scottish Ancestors calling me...great information Matt, thanks...

Okithe nooo.

Enters with Dr Evil laugh........... thank you for links Matt, just off phone to local council and no surprise, ll not registered and enforcement officer will call me tmrw with regards to tenancy agreement as woman I spoke to just took general details, how long I`d been renting, how I paid my rent, she said she is getting loads of calls like mine. Searched on TDS sites and again, no surprise, cannot find anything.

I feel about ten feet tall!!!

Tbh can`t see ll being allowed to register once I reveal all the problems I have had.

Keep you posted.