House Price Crash Forum

Ea's Pull Advertising

Sparker

HOLA441

I've noticed this happening for a while. In my area (within 3 miles of my postcode) there used to be 10+ pages of properties, now there's two.

The local rag used to have a property supplement as well with about 6 or 8 pages of properties from various EA's. Now there's only one EA advertising on 2 pages.

Looks like all the agents have got together and boycotted rightmove and the local rag and instead have created a new free supplement available at free supermarkets.

Pain in the **** as I can't use propertybee anymore :angry: :rolleyes:

Anyone else seen the same thing in their area?

Oh the area is LA23 South Lakes in Cumbria.

HOLA442
HOLA443
I've noticed this happening for a while. In my area (within 3 miles of my postcode) there used to be 10+ pages of properties, now there's two.

The local rag used to have a property supplement as well with about 6 or 8 pages of properties from various EA's. Now there's only one EA advertising on 2 pages.

I'm fairly sure that EA offices have a few whizz bang amateur web-designers twiddling their thumbs after trying a 'career change' sitting about. They have been tasked with justifying their existence and created a few websites, i.e. most EAs now have their own websites and have plenty of time on their hands to keep it updated.

I don't know what Rightmove's charges are but every penny saved, eh?

HOLA444
I'm fairly sure that EA offices have a few whizz bang amateur web-designers twiddling their thumbs after trying a 'career change' sitting about. They have been tasked with justifying their existence and created a few websites, i.e. most EAs now have their own websites and have plenty of time on their hands to keep it updated.

I don't know what Rightmove's charges are but every penny saved, eh?

Well probably not a good move, because success will depend on whether those websites get seen, and Rightmove gives them guaranteed attention, exposure and traffic.

They would be better cutting back on the hair gel, and driving a smaller car, or working from a smaller office rather than canceling Rightmove. However I've always suspected a social networking alternative to Rightmove might work, though Property Bee does fulfill some of that function as the results can be shared.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
Well probably not a good move, because success will depend on whether those websites get seen, and Rightmove gives them guaranteed attention, exposure and traffic.

I'm not so sure Rightmove are that special unless you are moving out of area, to another part of the country where it is then invaluable. same goes if you live in a rural area.

In my local urban area, the local freebie papers have had the EAs wake up since Xmas and are now all advertising again, with website addresses on their adverts.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
New free supplement won't last long.

These free papers are usually as a result of a majority of local agents forming a federation and agreeing to go forward independently of their local newspaper. They commit to continue advertising as a group, in a private paper, which is run by a large printer that specializes in ea newspapers (so no set up costs involved). They are usually of much higher quality and free, available from big supermarkets and other local retailers.

Where its done properly (a majority of agents is a pre-requisite) I think it will last; its costs the agents at least half what most pay to their local paper.

HOLA4411
I'm not so sure Rightmove are that special unless you are moving out of area, to another part of the country where it is then invaluable. same goes if you live in a rural area.

Even then, it's value comes from its universality. Once a few EAs pull out then its value declines; as its value declines more EAs will pull out ... the position of being another middleman-layer in a market that's getting crushed is not a comfortable one.

It's not that hard to collect the details of every EA in the area you wish to move to, and visit their web sites.

HOLA4412
Even then, it's value comes from its universality. Once a few EAs pull out then its value declines; as its value declines more EAs will pull out ... the position of being another middleman-layer in a market that's getting crushed is not a comfortable one.

It's not that hard to collect the details of every EA in the area you wish to move to, and visit their web sites.

+1.

Rightmove is not dead yet, but it is in a semi terminal state of decline. It will probably survive due to private sellers wanting to avoid EA's. But that will be a tiny % of the market. It never took off in scotland nearly as much as in the rest of the UK. Mostly due to the solicitors collective regional property sites. (aspc, espc, mspc, gspc, etc)

Propertybee is probably also a major reason it will die. If Rightmove were smart, they'd try to find a way to defeat PB. EA's won't put up with that nonsense for long.

HOLA4413
EAs hate rightmove. They have increased their fees despite most EAs struggling to earn any money in the current market. Read the comments on this story:

http://www.estateagenttoday.co.uk/News/Sto...e=news_features

Yeeuucchhhh!!!! What a revolting website :wacko::wacko:

Still, I suppose it keeps the parasites pretty much together in one corner of the web, and stops them getting slime and hairgel over everyone else... :lol:

B

HOLA4414

Loved this quote from their site :

All told, an astonishing 75.7% of agents who participated in the Estate Agent Today poll say they will not be renewing their annual subscriptions to Rightmove.

Hopefully this means that 75.7% of EA's will be going bust this year and won't waste £400 on something they won't be using for much longer.......... :lol:

HOLA4415
Loved this quote from their site :

Hopefully this means that 75.7% of EA's will be going bust this year and won't waste £400 on something they won't be using for much longer.......... :lol:

On first reading you might get that impression, however, their poll only reached about 1000 agents, so not really indicative of the overall marketplace.

HOLA4416
On first reading you might get that impression, however, their poll only reached about 1000 agents, so not really indicative of the overall marketplace.

I know, I know......it was a HPC mad-hat moment. The merest hint that this scenario could be possible. Right, I'm off to change my trousers :lol: