House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
nuts

The Next Govt "initiative"

I have a sense of unease that Gordo and his boys have now got into the habit of announcing new financial initiatives on an almost weekly basis.

What we really need now is time to sort out the problems and pay down the debt... but I get the feeling that the Govt is now locked into a shortening cycle of increasingly wild and expensive "cunning plans" - rather than facing reality.

The bank bailout v2 was last week and so it can't be more than a week before the next Govt announcement of some half-baked horror show....

So... any views what will be next and when ?

Deag

A free litre of Cravendale semi-skimmed at Budgens if you wear something visibly red? (excludes superheroes wearing underwear externally)

A large supersize thick capacity wallet for every citizen with Gordon's face etched in gold on it, to hold enough notes to buy some bread and a can of soup?

£100 of free Argos vouchers when we spend £20 or more in the new spring-summer catalogue?

£1,000 fuel duty refund in first year if you make a new car salesman smile and dance a jig by the end of January?

£10,000 tax-free prize if your car is spotted displaying a windscreen sticker saying "Gordon's for hard-working families"?

£20,000 tax credit if you buy a newbuild home priced at double its likely real value and stay in it for 5 years?

We will be told that they are undertaking quantitative easing aka money printing as it is imperative to fight off the looming spectre of deflation to save the economy. Gormless Brown will do it with a stirring "We will fight on the beaches"-type speech that will touch the heart and soul of the great British public (i.e. fill them with anger and contempt). The next day the pound will devalue by 50% and investors will prefer Zimbabwe gvt bonds to UK gvt bonds. Guaranteed.

QE seems to be the next wheeze that we are being readied for.... I wonder whether it will trigger capital flight ?

Sounds like it's nailed on in the next couple of weeks. Last week it was only a 'theoretical debate' or some such phrase.

QE seems to be the next wheeze that we are being readied for.... I wonder whether it will trigger capital flight ?

Did you ever used to watch Spitting Image where they used to pop open Reagan's head and drop his brain in?

Has someone popped open Mervyn King's head and removed his brain and replaced it with a cauliflower?

Mind you, if he'd had one he'd probably have put IRs up to 7% in 2005 instead of that ill-thought out cut that spawned an even worse bubble.

But if you let freaks from the States run your economic policy with their big dominating yapper spouting all over the shop, then what can you expect. Big mouth 1, Penfold 0.

... I am just grateful that we have no elections looming... cos' that seems to get the politicians working overtime to serve up shiny new half baked dishes.

FWIW - The only saving grace that I can see to the current madness... is that the UK is too big to fail... cos of the havoc that we would cause to the rest of the world.

We will be told that they are undertaking quantitative easing aka money printing as it is imperative to fight off the looming spectre of deflation to save the economy. Gormless Brown will do it with a stirring "We will fight on the beaches"-type speech that will touch the heart and soul of the great British public (i.e. fill them with anger and contempt). The next day the pound will devalue by 50% and investors will prefer Zimbabwe gvt bonds to UK gvt bonds. Guaranteed.

I'd laugh if I wasn't so scared.

Guest sillybear2
We will be told that they are undertaking quantitative easing aka money printing as it is imperative to fight off the looming spectre of deflation to save the economy. Gormless Brown will do it with a stirring "We will fight on the beaches"-type speech that will touch the heart and soul of the great British public

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...p;#entry1604530

We shall go on to the end, we will bail them on the beaches, we shall fight in the paper mills; and in the printing grounds; we shall never surrender. And when the forests gone, the paper no more and the ink dry, the great British public will relinquish their wall paper and old pizza boxes, and the BoE will carry on the struggle, until, in God's good time, the New World, with all its power and might, gives us an IMF loan, and steps forth to repo the old.

:P

Edited by sillybear2

Heard on the grape vine there are more millionairs in Zimbabwe than any other country :unsure:

cant see what the problem is :ph34r:

I don't think it matters anymore what zany ideas they dream up.

There's no government initiative in the world that could reverse the sheer hubris and greed of the past few years.

Their credibility has gone. You get a "sense" of when a governments finished - and this lot have now expired, regardless of the noises coming out of their mouths.

Sounds like it's nailed on in the next couple of weeks. Last week it was only a 'theoretical debate' or some such phrase.

Indeed, there was a time when people on this site laughed at those who suggested that QE was inevitable.

Funnily enough, I think we need some deflation, or a realigning of prices in this rip-off country. The cost of living is too high here... people will still spend money, it's just that with big ticket items they will be a bit more cautious (need based rather than want based).

We'll be better for it, a spot of deflation.

Strange, that for years we have been told low inflation is desirable (except house prices :huh: ).

As for the flow of initiative, I'm afraid they are rather thrashing around - can't do nothing, must do something - and unfortunately, making it up as they go along... and making things worse. B@stards!

Their credibility has gone. You get a "sense" of when a governments finished - and this lot have now expired, regardless of the noises coming out of their mouths.

Well, the way things are going I think you'll observe those noises are coming from somewhere lower these days.

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...p;#entry1604530

We shall go on to the end, we will bail them on the beaches, we shall fight in the paper mills; and in the printing grounds; we shall never surrender. And when the forests gone, the paper no more and the ink dry, the great British public will relinquish their wall paper and old pizza boxes, and the BoE will carry on the struggle, until, in God's good time, the New World, with all its power and might, gives us an IMF loan, and steps forth to repo the old.

:P

:D Beautiful! I nearly cried when I read that.