House Price Crash Forum
Guest UK Debt Slave

Things Are Hotting Up In Iceland

Guest mattsta1964

http://www.icenews.is/index.php/2009/01/20...-to-parliament/

On Jan 21, 2009, THE NEXT PRESIDENT said:

I HEARD THAT ICELANDERS ARE BUILDING A GUILLOTINE TO BE SET IN FRONT OF THE ALTHINGI TO SERVE THE HEADS OF THE GOVERN AS THEY ARE TAKEN ONE BY ONE BY FORCE OUT OF THE PARLIAMENT.

MAY GOD HAVE MERCY ON THEM BECAUSE THE THOUSANDS OF VERY ANGRY ICELANDERS WONT.

ICELANDERS ARE VERY PACIFIC PEOPLE, UNTIL YOU MAKE THEM ANGRY… THEN NOTHING CAN STOP THEM…

DO YOU THINK THAT THOUSANDS OF MEN THAT HAVE LOST THEIR JOBS, HOUSES AND EVERYTHING AND SEE THE FUTURE OF THEIR CHILDREN TOTALLY DESTROYED, DO REALLY CARE ABOUT BEING ARRESTED OR EVEN END IN JAIL?? HAHAHAAHAHA ;D

MASSIVE ARRESTS??? WHERE ARE THEY GOING TO PUT THEM… DON´T YOU SEE THAT PROTESTERS, THE WHOLE NATION, HAVE REALIZED THAT THEY ARE STRONGER THAN THAN ANY POLICE THEY PUT… HOW MANY POLICEMEN ARE IN REYKJAVÍK? 200? AND HOW MANY PEOPLE WILL TRY TO GET THE PARLIAMENT BY FORCE IN THE FOLLOWING DAYS?? 5000, 10.000? 50.000? ….

Read some of the comments after the article

I think the ZZhit is gonna hit the fan

Keep an eye on events in Iceland

The 3rd thread I've seen on problems in Iceland in 24 hours. 50,000. Hmmm, the whole population is 300,000 so I doubt it.

Don't get me wrong, they are to be congratulated on their stoicism so far but given where the country is, they would be advised not to bring the whole country to its knees. They have no land border to run away to and that ocean is a bit too chilly for boat people.

Guest mattsta1964

Latest update

The significant protests that began at lunchtime yesterday are still going on outside the Althingi parliament in Reykjavik, despite it now being past midnight.

As the night drew in, protesters lit a bonfire outside Parliament House and vowed to continue their vigil. The current plan is to keep the protest going at least until today’s parliamentary session begins at 13.30, MBL.is reports.

The weather tonight in Reykjavik is still and dry, although the temperature is at, or just below, freezing.

The protesters are angry that the current government continues to reject their calls for new elections. Many police are said to still be guarding the building, which protesters have been periodically pelting with toilet rolls and shoes, among other things

:lol:

Just you fekkn wait Broon.

We'll build a guillotine for you too

http://www.icenews.is/index.php/2009/01/20...-to-parliament/

On Jan 21, 2009, THE NEXT PRESIDENT said:

Read some of the comments after the article

I think the ZZhit is gonna hit the fan

Keep an eye on events in Iceland

Gordon will send in our troops to stop this kind of thing happening in a neighbouring country in the interests of "regional security".

The problem with all protests that start out with good peaceful intention is that once word gets round (these protests started months ago) that those who DO want a scrap start going along. The doors were bashed in by the protestors and the Iceland police are not used to this sort of thing.

Yes, they may have arrested teenagers, but what were they doing there? Unless your average Icelandic teenager is incredibly political aware, I'd expect them to be playing computer games, contacting so called 'friends' on line, or......... drinking and causing trouble to try and impress their mates. Ideal opportunity for the latter.

Looks1000 people, is media is saying thousands....

Got a link for that photo or is it one you have just grabbed from the web of Bucharest or Dubrovnik or something? The buildings look a little high for me to be Reykjavik..........

It's being reported in the Guardian now

The heat is on

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/20...globalrecession

I'm wondering if similar things could happen in other small countries that use financial 'instruments' so much. What about Liechtenstein? San Marino and Monaco use the € so a bit of a fallback available for them.

It's being reported in the Guardian now

The heat is on

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/20...globalrecession

That'll be happening here when income tax hits 70% to repay the bailout money.

Building a guilatine is a fantastic idea too.

With the words - "Come on Gordon do the right thing you kkunt!" written on it.

in fact thats a nice idea for a T-shirt slogan

Guest mattsta1964
Grauniad article says that Iceland's inflation rate has eroded most peoples' savings. What is their inflation rate?

Not sure but the people are really suffering

A lot of people have lost everything, homes, businesses, savings and pensions

Much like the UK in another few months ;)

Got a link for that photo or is it one you have just grabbed from the web of Bucharest or Dubrovnik or something? The buildings look a little high for me to be Reykjavik..........

It's from a .is site

This person may be destined for greatness but their geography is suspect.

:lol::lol::lol:

Guest Steve Cook
Not sure but the people are really suffering

A lot of people have lost everything, homes, businesses, savings and pensions

Much like the UK in another few months ;)

Much better than the UK will fare, I fear....

Iceleand still has raw resoruces to fall back on. Most notably, fish and aluminum.

We have nothing

we exhausted all of out basic minerals and energy sources over the course of our industrial revolution. What manufacturing that does still occur in the UK is based on the importation of the raw materials prior to the tertiary processing of them into goods that we then sell to the world.

Thus, when we do an "Iceland" at some not-too-distant point in the future, we will be truly f*cked on a level that will make Iceland's experience seem like a bouncy-castle party by comparison.

We ar enow very likely to default as a country. either directly by not honouring our debts to our suppliers and ceriditors. Or, indirectly by quantitative easing, thus debasing the currency we pay those suppliers and creditors with.

They will stop supplying to us, plain and simple.

we are in deep trouble

Edited by Steve Cook

Much bette than the UK.

Iceleand still has raw resoruces to fall back on. Most notably, fish and aluminum.

We have nothing

we exhausted all of out basic minerals anbd enetyg sources over the course of our industrial revolution. What manufacturing that still occurs in the UK is based on the importation of the raw material prior to the tertiary processing of them into goods that we then sell to thge world.

Thus, when we do an "Iceland" at some not too distant point in the future...we will be f*cked on a level that will make Iceland's experience seem like a bouncy-castle party by comparison

We got fish, and a bigger coastline than Iceland. Bauxite is one of the most common minerals in the world I read somewhere. We are in the top 7 of world manufacturers.

We are well placed to weather the storm.

We are 60 million.

Guest Steve Cook
We got fish, and a bigger coastline than Iceland. Bauxite is one of the most common minerals in the world I read somewhere. We are in the top 7 of world manufacturers.

We are well placed to weather the storm.

We are 60 million.

we are indeed one of the top 7 maufacturers. However, i repeat, the vast majority of the raw materials and, most critically, the vast majority of the energy we use to do our manufacturing is bought in with that well known and highly respected unit of exchange..otherwise known as sterling

Edited by Steve Cook

Guest mattsta1964
Much bette than the UK.

We have nothing

we exhausted all of out basic minerals and energy sources over the course of our industrial revolution. What manufacturing that does still occur in the UK is based on the importation of the raw materials prior to the tertiary processing of them into goods that we then sell to the world.

Thus, when we do an "Iceland" at some not-too-distant point in the future, we will be truly f*cked on a level that will make Iceland's experience seem like a bouncy-castle party by comparison.

We ar enow very likely to default as a country. either directly by not honouring our debts to our suppliers and ceriditors. Or, indirectly by quantitative easing, thus debasing the currency we pay those suppliers and creditors with.

They will stop supplying to us, plain and simple.

we are in deep trouble

We sure are Steve

The British people have NO idea what's in the post.

Just out of interest, just found this:

A Statement from the Movement for a New Republic in Iceland

We, the People of the Republic of Iceland in this period of economic turmoil and near national bankruptcy, declare to the International Monetary Fund, to the Central Banks of all our neighbouring countries and to their respective governments, that it is not in the interest of the people of Iceland that our current government receive loans from anyone.

It is precisely because of corruption in government and severe mismanagement of economic and monetary policy, that Iceland is now in such a sad and shameful position. Since we believe that a more politically accountable and civilised government is now crucial in order to ensure an effective implementation of economic recovery and reconstruction, a change has to be made in government to restore trust and credibility, domestically as well as internationally.

We are working hard to press for early elections and are convinced that they will result in a new government followed by a new professional governance structure.

Until then,

Please do not deliver the money.

MOVEMENT FOR A NEW REPUBLIC IN ICELAND

http://iceland-calling.this.is/

Sounds familiar doesn't it????

we are indeed one of the top 7 maufacturers. However, i repeat, the vast majority of the raw materials and, most critically, the vast majority of the energy we use to do our manufacturing is bought in with that well known unit of exchange..otherwise known as sterling

we can take their fish too. They got one gunboat, we got an entire navy. We could take their geothermals too. Ve could rule ze entire Norzern Regionz.

Ve are ze chosen PEEPLES. Ve deserve to Rule. Ve Vill vulfill our destiny, with our Glorious leaders jaw bone to be preserved forever!!

Latest update

:lol:

Just you fekkn wait Broon.

We'll build a guillotine for you too

This forum is full of would be Wat Tyler's.

But they say history does repeat its self.

Is it coincidence that Jack Straw was there then too?

I am pretty sure Iceland only process Aluminium and do not actually have the natural deposits. I did a wee google and it seems that way. Anyone confirm this ?

I am pretty sure Iceland only process Aluminium and do not actually have the natural deposits. I did a wee google and it seems that way. Anyone confirm this ?

I wouldnt have thought a few hot springs would be hot enough to process the stuff without outside input??

Guest Steve Cook
We sure are Steve

The British people have NO idea what's in the post.

Just out of interest, just found this:

A Statement from the Movement for a New Republic in Iceland

http://iceland-calling.this.is/

Sounds familiar doesn't it????

I would go along with this. we should be borrowing nothing. We need to let the system fail where is needs to fail. Then rebuild from what is really left. If what is really left is not much, so be it. At least it will be a real starting point.

We are going to default. The system is failing. The only debate left is whether we sink into a poverty of empty pockets or ones bulging with pieces of worthless paper.

In other words, collapse now or even bigger collapse later.

Some choice

Edited by Steve Cook