House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
OnlyMe

Differnce Between Iceland And Uk

In the months, weeks and days before a precipitous collapse in their currency that led to eventual default Iceland did all it could to defend the currency with high rates to stave off that scenario, it didn't work but it might have done.

In the UK, the central bank and the government are doing everything they can to actively encourage the flight of capital out of sterling by dropping rates.

In the UK, the central bank and the government are doing everything they can to actively encourage the flight of capital out of sterling by dropping rates.

To my mind at least, the import missing word here is "currently", to be added between the "are" and "doing".

I think I covered this on my much-commented on thread yesterday:

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...p;#entry1602274

Nice to see you have a sense of humour. Also nice to see I'm not the only one who can produce a 'Null Points' thread.

:lol:

Oh, and OP, the Icelanders have more chance of feeding themselves on fish than us, and have Sportacus to keep them all fit, but they do have to put up with Bjork. Swings and Roundabouts.

Nice to see you have a sense of humour. Also nice to see I'm not the only one who can produce a 'Null Points' thread.

Oh, and OP, the Icelanders have more chance of feeding themselves on fish than us, and have Sportacus to keep them all fit, but they do have to put up with Bjork. Swings and Roundabouts.

Here, I am the king of the uncommented threads.*

Back to the OP, we do have a burgeoning pool of hollywood talent you know.

You would be surprised how many of the actors on TV in the US are from over here.

Your friend Hugh Laurie for instance.

*The one notable exception was when I managed to steer a very serious thread on Grattan's closing down into adolescent viewings of the lingerie section.**

**Although on reflection it was TMT's original remark, so, As you were. Baaaaay.

Iceland manufactures alot less than the UK?

A lot less? The island has an entire population of 300,000 people. That's like the population of Coventry or Kingston upon Hull. Yeah, you could say they produce a little less than us.

Bjork is lovely

In the months, weeks and days before a precipitous collapse in their currency that led to eventual default Iceland did all it could to defend the currency with high rates to stave off that scenario, it didn't work but it might have done.

I disagree, if the fundamentals are bad then high rates cannot work without fixing the other problems first (because investors stop believing that the promised returns will be delivered).

cf UK's ERM exit in 1992.

High rates certainly won't make you any less bankrupt ;)

Iceland has not defaulted.

OK Quasi default, their government got involved enough with the operations of the banks that the banker's default became more or less one and same as the country's default.

Compare with Lehman's. At no point did anyone expect the US government to cough up and what about all that money that was siphoned back on the Friday and not put in the trading accounts on the Monday of Lehman's UK outfit, so that there was not any money for wages and obligations.

Magnús Scheving (Sportacus) was on 5live a while ago with Simon Mayo. He mnetioned that all the lazytown franchise deals had been in dollars. That was a shrewd move! Perhaps they should appoint him as an adviser. I wonder if the franchise would have been a major contributor to their economy. (Abba, in one year, produced more income for Sweden than Volvo.)

I think I covered this on my much-commented on thread yesterday:

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...p;#entry1602274

Yeah i know how you feel , i put a thread up once that got no replies never been so embarassed in all my life , i didn't even step out of the house for weeks , for fear of being laughed at ........ ;)

Edited by grey shark

Yeah i know how you feel , i put a thread up once that got no replies never been so embarassed in all my life , i didn't even step out of the house for weeks , for fear of being laughed at ........ ;)

The trick with starting successful threads

make the topic short and interesting

Make sure that you are controversial in the topic

Leave glaring gaps in the topic AND in the content

If you cover everything people will decide there is nothing to add and leave without replying, your aiming for debate not to cover all the points

Edited by moosetea

Iceland's economy and banking system is run by outright crooks. They did many things that are illegal - share ramping by buying shares in each other. Massive illegal loans to individuals, illegally cancelled loans to employees.

The banks and government were working to rob as much money as they possibly could with no intention of ever paying it back - even depositors were to be screwed (but the EU put a stop to that).

What ever you say about the UK economic mess its nothing compared to the Mafia driven system in Iceland.

Icelanders are now becoming fully aware of what was going to - little of it is reported outside Iceland.

The banks and government were working to rob as much money as they possibly could with no intention of ever paying it back - even depositors were to be screwed (but the EU put a stop to that).

What about their own depositors? Iceland aren't in the EU, although they are in the European Economic Area (EEA) so I'm not sure what they covers them for.