House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Lazylobster

Land Registry

Quick question to the HPC knowledge base.

If I purchase a property. Is there a method / way to ensure that the purchase price is not listed in the Land Registry database?

Thanks

LL

If I purchase a property. Is there a method / way to ensure that the purchase price is not listed in the Land Registry database?

Thanks

LL

Not as far as I'm aware. It's required information that has to go on the form.

Not as far as I'm aware. It's required information that has to go on the form.

But you can make sure it doesn't appear in the housing statistics by purchasing it at auction.

Disgraceful but true.

But you can make sure it doesn't appear in the housing statistics by purchasing it at auction.

Disgraceful but true.

You can't. The LR never find out how a property was sold. However, they do know if it was under a power of sale which are the sales they remove from the stats.

Thanks

LL

Just out of interest, why?

You a dodgy geezer ?

Just write it in illegibly, then it won't be entered in the database.

I've sold two houses, and neither were registered, I strongly suspect that this is simply due to such form filling data quality issues.

The registry is currently downsizing, so I'm fairly sure that if you wrote it in but made it unreadable they would just pass on to the next form.

The LR figures are like all the other government stats, totally lacking in any credibility any more.

I've sold two houses, and neither were registered, I strongly suspect that this is simply due to such form filling data quality issues.

The registry is currently downsizing, so I'm fairly sure that if you wrote it in but made it unreadable they would just pass on to the next form.

The LR figures are like all the other government stats, totally lacking in any credibility any more.

It's the purchaser who fills in the form, not the vendor.

I very much doubt that the ones you sold aren't registered and filling in the forms wrongly won't do anyone any good because the new owners title at law can't take effect until it is registered. If the properties you sold were not registered and therefore needed to be compulsorally registered but haven't been then after two months the title in law would revert back to you.

Just because they don't appear on property price websites isn't an indication of not being registered.

Guest sillybear2

I think if you buy the property through an off-shore trust/company it will be listed as a commercial trasaction and won't appear in the public database.

Edited by sillybear2

Guest sillybear2

They know from the stamp duty you paid, it can be cross-referenced. Unless you dodged that too, which probably isn't the smartest move.

It might cause proof of ownership problems too, you have to prove money changed hands for a contract to be valid.

Edited by sillybear2

A flat I bought and sold used to appear on the land registry (at least, on the free sites, like houseprices and mouseprice) and now it doesn't. I'm always meaning to ring them and find out how it got taken off.

Thanks

LL

Maybe up to 20% of the properties that I check, where I know a sale took place, never appear in the Land Registry database. Why the failure rate is so high I don't know.

Maybe up to 20% of the properties that I check, where I know a sale took place, never appear in the Land Registry database. Why the failure rate is so high I don't know.

Property price websites are not the LR database. If you want to check an individual property with certainty then you have to download the title register.

My last property dosen't appear on the websites but I know it was sold and it wasn't under a power of sale.

The price paid appears on the application form, the transfer document and there used to be a form that went to HMRC. Bad hand writing will simply make the person processing the application query the amount paid so that they can assess the Land Registry fee is correct and the duty paid is correct.

6538 is correct in that if an application is not lodged at the Registry then the sale will not have been effected in law.

If a purchaser has a mortgage then the mortgagee would pick up on the non-registration and query it.

The dataset that is sold to property price companies/web sites is quite different to the Computerised Land Register. Those people "who know" their house isn't registered after their sale need only (as already suggested here) download a copy of their Register for a small sum to satisfy themselves that it is registered.

A flat I bought and sold used to appear on the land registry (at least, on the free sites, like houseprices and mouseprice) and now it doesn't. I'm always meaning to ring them and find out how it got taken off.

I get a monthly email from nethouseprices.com and one property in the last email had a sale date one whole year earlier.

Why it only showed up as a 'new' sale now is anyone's guess.

I get a monthly email from nethouseprices.com and one property in the last email had a sale date one whole year earlier.

Why it only showed up as a 'new' sale now is anyone's guess.

It may just have been registered late. If a property is already registered when it's sold then you can take as long as you like to register the change. However, it is in your interests to do it straight away as ownership does not have effect at Law until you do.

In the case of an unregistered property you have 2 months to register the sale or the ownership can not take effect at law at all.