House Price Crash Forum

Rightmove Lying?

JonoP

HOLA441

I am continually hearing about the latest Rightmove report that states:

- Buyer enquires have doubled from 200K to 400K in December.

- The number of properties being listed on Rightmove is declining, thus leading to reduced supply.

These statements are used to promote the idea that the market is picking up. However:

- Rightmove have just launched a broadreach tv/media campaign to drive users to their site. Plus, you can now contact multiple agents with one enquiry . The TV campaign explains the increase in hits and I would be interested to know if they count one email to multiple EAs as one buyer enquiry or multiple buyer enquiries. I suspect the latter.

- It is a well known fact that may EAs are stopping using Rightmove as they are perceived as being too expensive. This accounts for the reduction in listings

So, all in all, I reckon we have a load more spin an BS as opposed to any ‘green shoots’....

HOLA442

- The number of properties being listed on Rightmove is declining, thus leading to reduced supply.

These statements are used to promote the idea that the market is picking up. However:

- Rightmove have just launched a broadreach tv/media campaign to drive users to their site. Plus, you can now contact multiple agents with one enquiry . The TV campaign explains the increase in hits and I would be interested to know if they count one email to multiple EAs as one buyer enquiry or multiple buyer enquiries. I suspect the latter.

- It is a well known fact that may EAs are stopping using Rightmove as they are perceived as being too expensive. This accounts for the reduction in listings

So, all in all, I reckon we have a load more spin an BS as opposed to any 'green shoots'....

+1

HOLA443
HOLA444

Exactly. So many EAs now are finding RM's extortionate fees unmanageable now that they have next to no income from sales. They are abandoning RM in droves, which more than likely accounts for the drop in listings. A better indicator would be the length of time on the market - I still see many properties which have been listed for well over a year.

The 'increase in buyer enquiries' is a joke too - all it refers to is the number of people using their 'email the EA' link. The site redesign has made it possible to email all the EAs in a search at once, which again could account for the increase in this meaningless figure. I myself have used the 'email to all' link occasionally just to laugh at the EAs

HOLA445
HOLA446

So, all in all, I reckon we have a load more spin an BS as opposed to any ‘green shoots’....

I can tell you for nothing that I personally am surfing through about 2000+ RM properties per week and logging them on my property-bee software (www.Property-bee.com).

So about 8000 (or 4% of the increase ) of those 'buyer enquiries' are from me alone.

I'm pretty sure there about 500 other PB users out there... go figure.

HOLA447
I can tell you for nothing that I personally am surfing through about 2000+ RM properties per week and logging them on my property-bee software (www.Property-bee.com).

So about 8000 (or 4% of the increase ) of those 'buyer enquiries' are from me alone.

I'm pretty sure there about 500 other PB users out there... go figure.

Buyer enquiries result from RM users sending an email to an EA via the site. I do not think property bee searches show up in this figure.

HOLA448
HOLA449
Buyer enquiries result from RM users sending an email to an EA via the site. I do not think property bee searches show up in this figure.

Well its hardly suprising that enquiries on their site have gone up when they have introduced a new "contact al agents" funtion. Not exactly comparing apples with apples is it?