House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Let-them-Burn

Houses Still Selling Before Being Advertised

Don't worry, it will be reset to "available" in the next fews weeks. I'm seeing some of these on my Surrey Rightmove search and they usually fall through. This one is a "new home" as well, that makes it doubly suspicous.....

Edited by Flopsy

I am in Guildford.

I NEVER believe any information on a developer new build advertisment on RM. They put the price up/down, they goes SSTC/available etc.

I have not seen any regular houses go SSTC before coming up FOR AGES (since 07).

I am in Guildford.

I NEVER believe any information on a developer new build advertisment on RM. They put the price up/down, they goes SSTC/available etc.

I have not seen any regular houses go SSTC before coming up FOR AGES (since 07).

Seymours are scum. They said to me back in early 2007 that if I gave them our house to sell they would make sure we saw their properties before they reached the open market. This was a huge reason for not using those cowboys and felt like trying to publish it in the Surrey Advertiser - but it was a dog-eat-dog world back then with buyers, so didn't think I'd waste my time.

I don't think the "new home" banner means a new build. If you search Rightmove with added in last e.g.7 days, you will see "new home" on a mix of older and newer buildings - I think it just highlights it is new to the market. Plus the Levylsdene road has older ?1920s/1930s in.

I NEVER believe ... a developer ...

A developer in Cheltenham had 95% sold signs up on a huge development between Waitrose(nice) and JJB(err...), when any fool could see half the units were still empty.

Who do they think they are kidding?

Anyone in the trade care to explain the purpose of these apparent lies?

Seymours are scum. They said to me back in early 2007 that if I gave them our house to sell they would make sure we saw their properties before they reached the open market. This was a huge reason for not using those cowboys and felt like trying to publish it in the Surrey Advertiser - but it was a dog-eat-dog world back then with buyers, so didn't think I'd waste my time.

Fairly common practice when vendors were struggling to find. Let your own clients have a sneak preview - hardly major cowboy tactics.

Believe me, there are far worse agents to deal with in Guildford than Seymours.

When I went to view a house to rent last year through Seymours I told the lady showing me round that we were "crash sitting" and would buy in 2/3 years. She looked horrified and was not very helpful from then on. I know cut my nose of, but coulnd't resist. One of those last 30's/ early 40's only ever known a boom pricks.

Fairly common practice when vendors were struggling to find. Let your own clients have a sneak preview - hardly major cowboy tactics.

Believe me, there are far worse agents to deal with in Guildford than Seymours.

tell me about it. I went to start registering with a view to start looking at what I want (not buying yet - still too expensive)

Got as far as the 1st ******** artist at Gascoigne-Pees on the Worplesdon Road and haven't been able to cope with going into any others yet.

More EA games in Guildford.

This time sold after its 1st viewing!

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sa...6x%3D22%26y%3D6

... and before any photos, floor plans, details could be entered onto their website.

Wow Guildford is booming!

how so?

strange as it may seem, could just have been sensibly priced. There are some people buying...!

how so?

strange as it may seem, could just have been sensibly priced. There are some people buying...!

Hmmm......I smell a large rat, but probably a useful one for HPC.

Firstly,as a vendor if you had an offer just like that, wouldn't you think you'd perhaps underpriced the house? I know getting buyers is now nearly impossible, and so perhaps it took a while to even get this first viewing, but it does seem odd to take a first offer just like that. Also there are no pictures and I assume there never will be, so that is suspicious.

IMHO this is EA equivalent of when recruitment firms advertise jobs they don't have on the books. Essentially they get a bunch of CV's in and then try and match the applicants with the jobs they do have.

In this case this is designed to draw in sellers in. I bet the subsequent sales pitch is that, "yes we really did sell it on the first viewing. If you like to do the same we recommend this price." Presumably a low price to help clear the market.

Firstly,as a vendor if you had an offer just like that, wouldn't you think you'd perhaps underpriced the house? I know getting buyers is now nearly impossible, and so perhaps it took a while to even get this first viewing, but it does seem odd to take a first offer just like that. Also there are no pictures and I assume there never will be, so that is suspicious.

IMHO this is EA equivalent of when recruitment firms advertise jobs they don't have on the books. Essentially they get a bunch of CV's in and then try and match the applicants with the jobs they do have.

In this case this is designed to draw in sellers in. I bet the subsequent sales pitch is that, "yes we really did sell it on the first viewing. If you like to do the same we recommend this price." Presumably a low price to help clear the market.

Then your nose isn't functioning correctly.

As an EA you can't win. If the house goes under offer quickly, first couple of viewings say, then you've underpriced it. If it sticks around for a while then clearly you've ramped the price up and haven't a clue that the market has fallen.

I read on here all the time people saying that EAs should price sensibly then people will buy. So when it happens this now becomes some sort of trick...?! :rolleyes:

Getting buyers is a lot harder than a couple of years ago, no doubt, but nearly impossible is stretching things too far.

As a vendor if i received an offer from one of the first couple of viewings from a good buyer, and i was aware enough of what had happened in the market not to start mucking sbout with the price, i would see no reason not to take it.

In this particular case i know for a fact the sale is genuine as a friend of mine works for the company concerned and i was sitting next to them when the buyer called to make the offer on their mobile.

Then your nose isn't functioning correctly.

As an EA you can't win. If the house goes under offer quickly, first couple of viewings say, then you've underpriced it. If it sticks around for a while then clearly you've ramped the price up and haven't a clue that the market has fallen.

I read on here all the time people saying that EAs should price sensibly then people will buy. So when it happens this now becomes some sort of trick...?! :rolleyes:

Getting buyers is a lot harder than a couple of years ago, no doubt, but nearly impossible is stretching things too far.

As a vendor if i received an offer from one of the first couple of viewings from a good buyer, and i was aware enough of what had happened in the market not to start mucking sbout with the price, i would see no reason not to take it.

In this particular case i know for a fact the sale is genuine as a friend of mine works for the company concerned and i was sitting next to them when the buyer called to make the offer on their mobile.

For what's it worth I agree. Personally if I were an educated vendor I'd be thinking "Thank ****** there are still idiots out there" and I'd bite their hand off.

A developer in Cheltenham had 95% sold signs up on a huge development between Waitrose(nice) and JJB(err...), when any fool could see half the units were still empty.

Persimmon are working slowly on a big site locally. Works slowed right down when the slump got going.

All the new unfinished units have 'for sale' poster on them. 9 months ago, a lot of units the units that were then being built had 'reserved' or 'sold' posters on them.

Edited by blankster

Photos here

OK, on the day the house went on to the market (it came on Rightmove as sold STC), there could have been a person who viewed, loved the place and offered near the asking price on the understanding it is taken off the market immediately.

In this climate it would be rare (even for Guildford) but it could have happened.

My guess is something fishy went on.

BTW, what EA do you work for?

OK, on the day the house went on to the market (it came on Rightmove as sold STC), there could have been a person who viewed, loved the place and offered near the asking price on the understanding it is taken off the market immediately.

In this climate it would be rare (even for Guildford) but it could have happened.

My guess is something fishy went on.

BTW, what EA do you work for?

I agree - very rare, but still happening occasionally.

I doubt something fishy has occurred, but you never know.

As for your last question, I couldn't possibly say :ph34r: I have posted on here for over 3 years and would prefer to keep a little anonymity, whilst giving an insight into the 'other side'. (No offence :))

Suffice to say, it's a very small, privately owned firm, as far removed from Manns/Foxtons as it's possible to be. Although I have worked for Savills and a larger independent over the years.

I agree - very rare, but still happening occasionally.

I doubt something fishy has occurred, but you never know.

As for your last question, I couldn't possibly say :ph34r: I have posted on here for over 3 years and would prefer to keep a little anonymity, whilst giving an insight into the 'other side'. (No offence :))

Suffice to say, it's a very small, privately owned firm, as far removed from Manns/Foxtons as it's possible to be. Although I have worked for Savills and a larger independent over the years.

My comment was tongue-in-cheek .... of course keep your anonymity.

FYI, my best experiences of the mid ranged priced EAs in Guildford have been with MSE, Savills & Callards. Savills were the most professional when it came to seal bids and even though I missed, their process appeared clear and honest.

Out of interest, to get a sale, have houses prices dropped back to 2006, 2005 or 2004 levels in Guildford? There is too much variability in Guildford to have a one level fits all - so as guide for houses in the George Abbott catchment area, what are your thoughts? My experience is that there is never a large enough supply of good quality , 4beds, near the better schools on the market at one time, so I don't think Guildford will fall on the same national crash trend.

My comment was tongue-in-cheek .... of course keep your anonymity.

FYI, my best experiences of the mid ranged priced EAs in Guildford have been with MSE, Savills & Callards. Savills were the most professional when it came to seal bids and even though I missed, their process appeared clear and honest.

Out of interest, to get a sale, have houses prices dropped back to 2006, 2005 or 2004 levels in Guildford? There is too much variability in Guildford to have a one level fits all - so as guide for houses in the George Abbott catchment area, what are your thoughts? My experience is that there is never a large enough supply of good quality , 4beds, near the better schools on the market at one time, so I don't think Guildford will fall on the same national crash trend.

Also in Guildford. HAve to agree with your choice of EA´s above by far, specially MSE. Bruce Simons, one of their Sr Agents seems quite pragmatic and realistic, he has probably gone through previous crashes etc. He also seems a salesman from the old school, showing properly the brightest spots in a property beautifully, almost charmingly to entice the buyer. As opposed to Foxton´s chain production style..next viewer please!

Re price trends in Guildford I would need to compile the data I have in a comprehensive way but I can cofirm the trend is definitely down and not too far from national averages. The houses I have made offers on so far, vendors have been willing to go down as far as 20% from estimated 07 peak price in a couple, and I agree the Burpham/Merrow area is resisting, stronger than the rest of Guildford. So still no deal for me but give it time. Keep those cheeky offers up!

Edited by Old_Traveller

Also in Guildford. HAve to agree with your choice of EA´s above by far, specially MSE. Bruce Simons, one of their Sr Agents seems quite pragmatic and realistic, he has probably gone through previous crashes etc.

Re price trends in Guildford I would need to compile the data I have in a comprehensive way but I can cofirm the trend is definitely down and not too far from national averages. The houses I have made offers on so far, vendors have been willing to go down as far as 20% from estimated 07 peak price in a couple, and I agree the Burpham/Merrow area is resisting, stronger than the rest of Guildford. So still no deal for me but give it time. Keep those cheeky offers up!

Bruce is a lovely chap, about as far removed from the HPC stereotype of an ea as it's possible to be!!

Your comments on price trends broadly reflect what I am seeing. Although surprised to hear that Burpham/Merrow areas not bending as much. Burpham is popular almost solely due to it's proximity to George Abbot school(not a lot else going for it imho!)

I live in North Guildford, in the Stoughton area, and I would say that houses here are around 25% down on their peak in 2007. If you check out Right Move you will find several detached houses at my area with an asking price of about £250,000. These would have been on offer at about 325,000 at their peak.

Meanwhile, the three-bedroom terraced houses around Mandeville close (near the Total garage) now seem to be going for about 190,000. There have been several sales around here recently and I'm looking forward to finding out exactly what they sold for. I think these would have been on the market at about 250 to 260,000 at their peak.

I live in North Guildford, in the Stoughton area, and I would say that houses here are around 25% down on their peak in 2007. If you check out Right Move you will find several detached houses at my area with an asking price of about £250,000. These would have been on offer at about 325,000 at their peak.

Meanwhile, the three-bedroom terraced houses around Mandeville close (near the Total garage) now seem to be going for about 190,000. There have been several sales around here recently and I'm looking forward to finding out exactly what they sold for. I think these would have been on the market at about 250 to 260,000 at their peak.

I know of a very tired house in Mandeville Close that's u/o at 185k. Ones in decent condition should fetch 210kish at the moment, so a good 15% down on peak.

I know of a very tired house in Mandeville Close that's u/o at 185k. Ones in decent condition should fetch 210kish at the moment, so a good 15% down on peak.

210,000 seems a bit high to me. There are loads of end terrace and semidetached houses that are on for about that price in Stoughton. Moreover, Seymour's estate agents currently have a pretty good condition three-bedroom terrace on Mandeville close which is on the market at 195. It is under offer, and I presume the offer will not be full asking price, so my guess is that three-bedroom terraces in the area going for a maximum of 190.

I had a trawl through the Right Move website for houses in the town centre as welland I noticed a few Victorian terraces that had been reduced by over 20% according to property bee. If this is generally true for the centre, it fits with North Guildford where I'm seeing price drops of about 25% from the peak in 2007.

I think most of the offers will be about £175k. Thats the cutoff for stamp duty.

Of course, they might pay a bit of cash for 'fixtures and fittings' but everything is going to stick at £175k, if it actually completes.