HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
surprised you guys have not mentioned this - 50 @ electronics firm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edinbu...ast/7815416.stm

Must be something about printers - had a friend in Edingurhg who got made redundant twice from printer's - worked as engineer

must be very unstable

Is just now. Only 2 real large printers left in the whole of Edinburgh just now. A few years ago there were ~8-10. :o

HOLA449
Guest An Bearin Bui
RBS - circa 2-5000 in Edinburgh. This is a prediction not a fact........YET.

Not happened yet. Well maybe to a smaller extent it has..... :rolleyes:

I have anecdotal evidence that they're cutting back - a friend's husband works there as an IT contractor and got notice to say that no contracts would be renewed or any new contractors taken on for the foreseeable future. The banks in Edinburgh employ armies of IT staff and pay them very well too (both contractors and staff) so that's one more source of lucrative income in Edinburgh gone.

You wouldn't think so though - was out tonight and every restaurant was full or at least 2/3 full - and it's a Wednesday(!) before pay day(!). This city makes no sense economically... :unsure: Although there are a lot of rich students at Edinburgh University, many of whom live in my area...

HOLA4410
I have anecdotal evidence that they're cutting back - a friend's husband works there as an IT contractor and got notice to say that no contracts would be renewed or any new contractors taken on for the foreseeable future. The banks in Edinburgh employ armies of IT staff and pay them very well too (both contractors and staff) so that's one more source of lucrative income in Edinburgh gone.

You wouldn't think so though - was out tonight and every restaurant was full or at least 2/3 full - and it's a Wednesday(!) before pay day(!). This city makes no sense economically... :unsure: Although there are a lot of rich students at Edinburgh University, many of whom live in my area...

Mmm not quite true. ;)

Some getting extended and even a few newbies being brought in. Very strange. Also a fair few permanent members of staff being given the heave ho on the sly. So I have heard of course.... :rolleyes:

I reckon after they have their strategic review, or what ever they call it, out fo the way we will see the big ones. April or there abouts I think Hester has said. I reckon it will be dragged on however. Can't see Big Broon wanting a basically nationalised bank firing 20,000 people in a week.

HOLA4411
Guest An Bearin Bui
Mmm not quite true. ;)

Some getting extended and even a few newbies being brought in. Very strange. Also a fair few permanent members of staff being given the heave ho on the sly. So I have heard of course.... :rolleyes:

I reckon after they have their strategic review, or what ever they call it, out fo the way we will see the big ones. April or there abouts I think Hester has said. I reckon it will be dragged on however. Can't see Big Broon wanting a basically nationalised bank firing 20,000 people in a week.

Ah right, just a polite way of giving him the heave-ho then!

I was hoping it was true as the bank is essentially bankrupt and I'd be hoping to see some cutbacks and austerity in return for our taxes being swallowed up in the black hole of their financial misdeeds.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
Ah right, just a polite way of giving him the heave-ho then!

I was hoping it was true as the bank is essentially bankrupt and I'd be hoping to see some cutbacks and austerity in return for our taxes being swallowed up in the black hole of their financial misdeeds.

I agree. Even though I earn my living at present from this sector I would like to see them slashign jobs ASAP.

Anyone who has ever worked in these places knows that a reduction in staff of 20-30% would probably have very little impact, if the right ones are let go.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425