House Price Crash Forum
PricedOutNative

What Does Financial Collapse Entail?

So it looks like the UK could go the way of Iceland, it seems odd we have got to this stage I remember the possibility first appearing on my radar here on HPC a few years back, now the concept is in the main stream press, bizarre…

What do you guys think it will mean in every day life? It’s surely sensationalist to suggest that everything will grind to a halt, people will stop working and civilization will crumble around us resulting in a ‘Mad Max’ scenario.

Everything around us is finally balanced, I get paid and from that money government and various businesses get a cut, which then filters on through them. We now face a situation were a very large number of people are going to have their wages cut, the spiral down affect will be quite frightening, especially as such a high proportion of jobs are not really essential, we all can’t work in core jobs.

What about the massive government cost of looking after the poor, sick and educating the young, where is that vast money going to come from now tax revenue is going through the floor and if it can’t pay can we expect to see reports of third word standards of social care here?

IIRC When Russia experienced economic collapse in the 1990’s the government ordered free gas and electricity to be supplied to pensioners, I wonder if our government will have to step in with many draconian laws to prevent social breakdown, the interests of share holders will be over ridden and we will in affect have to abandon capitalisms and adopt an command economy?

What about those who can’t pay? Having everyone unable to pay the equivalent of £500 a month living in cold and damp homes would be a disaster for the UK in a number of ways…

The most noticable thing is that Gas and Electric prices will rise. A lot.

Expect your combined gas/leccy/petrol bills to be higher than your mortgage.

What does CGNAO stand for?

Sharp intake of breath..... You must not ask this sacred thing, it is like asking the true name of the almighty.

Actually, its just an anagram of NGCAO..... Clear now? ;)

I did try to find out myself a year ago, but couldnt find an answer.

Sharp intake of breath..... You must not ask this sacred thing, it is like asking the true name of the almighty.

Is it somethig like comptroller general of the national audit office?

Peter.

Edited by Blue Peter

Whilst lamenting the dearly departed, any ideas who this might be?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/MJP-m62129.html

p-o-p

Does anyone else think that a collapse is being planned for?

I note that many of our supermarket chains have large, strategically placed stores, self sufficient in electricity generation, and storing large quantities of fuel. I see a large expansion of supermarket "local" stores opening.

Very "Tin foil hat" I am afraid, but I am beginning to wonder if the fuel strike of 2000, might not have been an experiment to judge the public reaction to extended supply disruption.

I have a fear that some future event, perhaps the countries inability to import sufficient oil or gas, perhaps a war in the Middle East, maybe some other, as yet unforeseen event, will severely restrict the supply of oil or gas to the UK, resulting in wide spread power cuts, fuel shortages etc.

I can see a situation where there will be little or no private use of cars, and that our supply of essential foodstuffs etc will be strictly rationed and controlled directly by the authorities, at the supermarket's.

The use of "cash" will all but vanish, as the only place to "buy" things will be at controlled Tesco's etc, local shops will close down, as they will be unable to obtain goods to sell.

Factories, offices and most private businesses will only be allowed to operate providing they are essential, or do not require any source of fuel or energy.

I fear that any planning along these lines by the authorities, would be of a temporary nature, and would only function for a short period of time, after which it would be every man for himself, with the "powers that be" having already sorted out their survival.

What about those who can't pay? Having everyone unable to pay the equivalent of £500 a month living in cold and damp homes would be a disaster for the UK in a number of ways…

The only alternative to market-based demand-destruction is rationing.

Personally I'd like to see a sliding tariff so that the more you use, the more each additional unit costs, meaning that everyone can afford minimal usage while the profligate pay through the nose (with the excess going to subsidise the frugal).

Even then, 'minimal usage' could well turn out to be much less than most are used to ... the majority are in the rich, profligate camp at the moment.

The use of "cash" will all but vanish, as the only place to "buy" things will be at controlled Tesco's etc,

Instead of paying with physical cash, a Tesco employee will wave a scanner over the RFID chip implanted in the back of our necks to make the transaction via digital money. Clubcards will be invalid.

I do really think that a command economy may have to be implemented, we can’t afford to have so many people idle for too long at some point people will have to be forced to work under some directorship rather than ‘market forces’

The only alternative to market-based demand-destruction is rationing.

Personally I'd like to see a sliding tariff so that the more you use, the more each additional unit costs, meaning that everyone can afford minimal usage while the profligate pay through the nose (with the excess going to subsidise the frugal).

Even then, 'minimal usage' could well turn out to be much less than most are used to ... the majority are in the rich, profligate camp at the moment.

Edited by PricedOutNative