House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
StoppedClock

I May Have Just Won A Million Sterling

I may have just won a million quid but am worried it will soon be worthless.

Given that I will only get this money in the next week am I too late to diversify out of GBP?

I was thinking about buying some property in stable established German cities which at least would provide me with a Euro denominated income (or Neu DMarks if it comes to that).

Any thoughts?

I may have just won a million quid but am worried it will soon be worthless.

Given that I will only get this money in the next week am I too late to diversify out of GBP?

I was thinking about buying some property in stable established German cities which at least would provide me with a Euro denominated income (or Neu DMarks if it comes to that).

Any thoughts?

Champagne?

I may have just won a million a hundred thousand quid but am worried it will soon be worthless.

Any thoughts?

Corrected due to the time erosion of value since original post was made.

Edited by SHERWICK

Any thoughts?

Be careful - German property is extremely regulated both at renting and purchase level ( hence one of the reasons why they did not have a UK type property bubble) -taxes are also punitive by UK standards on any profits made.

Edited by Wires 74

I may be the president of the USA, alternatively I MAY NOT!

Seriously if you have won a million you know! and if you know you wont be posting on HPC!

Ok I didn't win a million but someone close who has finally woken up to the fact the UK may not be all sunshine and lollipops who has liquid assets of around that currently sitting in a UK bank and is asking for my advice. Now unfortunately I haven't a clue what to do, as an Engineer I was perfectly capable of seeing something was wrong but that does not mean I know what is right.

Everyone else she asks tells her all will be OK so I at least want to try and suggest something.

Re Germany property being regulated and taxed that is exactly the sort of thing for which she is looking... regulation. She only wants wealth preservation having worked extremely hard all her life to save this money.

If she gets capitqal appreciation then she will happily pay German taxes in appreciation for the population being hard workers and to their government for not trying to take the piss out of hard workers.

Berlin property is an excellent idea if you do your research thoroughly. Email me and I'll send you details of some decent two bedroom apartments for circa EUR50,000 each with 8% yield.

james88000 at googlemail dot com

If I had a million pounds I would investigate buying property in Austria. Beautiful country, good rental prospects in both summer and winter, and I recently read that Austria and Switzerland are about the only two countries where property is still appreciating in value.