House Price Crash Forum

Aig Ends Manchester Utd Sponsorship Deal

Dr Renter

HOLA441
Man Utd are the biggest club in the world. They will have sponsors queueing up to have their names on their shirts. It's all the other dross that will be in trouble (e.g. Wigan / Blackburn / Middlesbrough / Tottenham / West Ham etc)

err no. They sponser the lower teams as they are cheaper. They cannot afford the Man U sponsership rates.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
Linky

Sponsoring companies going bankrupt.

Sky subscriptions likely to plummet.

Attendances likely to start falling.

Rich "billionaires" seeing their asset values tumble.

Bring on the Premiership crash!!!!

It would be good to see football being brought down to earth if you will pardon the pun. Unfortunately when these clubs start failing it will just add to the debt pile.

HOLA443
Well they've blown hot and cold over Anfailed haven't they. Never understood why they were obsessed with them in the first place, but I still think they're waiting for Gillett/Hicks to be forced sellers. Summer looks favourite when they finish 3rd. ;)

But if DIC have got fed up with them then United would make sense, but I think they're more interested in long-term club ownership than sponsorship to be honest. I've been expecting Glazer to sell in '09 for some time, so we'll have to see who gets their cheque book out.

So you're expecting City to still be in the Premiership next season? :P

City are borrowing the 100 million for kaka from RBS aka (the Tax Payer)

HOLA444
HOLA445

Maybe we'll see some sensible wages in football then. Rather than a cross between Mr Potato head and Shrek earning more in a week than I'll earn in the next 5 years. Most of them haven't got a clue about the real world any more and probably don't even know how much a pint of milk costs. Overpaid idiots.

HOLA446
City are borrowing the 100 million for kaka from RBS aka (the Tax Payer)

Well they might have been if they were going to buy Kaka. The rate they're going not only won't they have Kaka they won't have Robinho either. Still, they never cease to provide endless comedy value.

HOLA447
My friend's dad had a trial for a (then) 1st division team back in the late 50's. He turned down a place on the team as the salary wasn't enough to provide for his wife and kids. How have we reached this absurd level of remuneration that we see today? Is it all Sky's fault?

Totally agree. Its a symbiotic relationship though. If football wasn't covered by them who would buy a sky subscription?

HOLA448
My friend's dad had a trial for a (then) 1st division team back in the late 50's. He turned down a place on the team as the salary wasn't enough to provide for his wife and kids. How have we reached this absurd level of remuneration that we see today? Is it all Sky's fault?

I played at schoolboy level for Stoke City until the age of 16 (15 years ago). At 16 there was a big cull and I was one of those who were let go. I wasnt actually that arsed as I saw education and university as a better life path to choose. How wrong I was!!!!! Premiership wages have just got out of control. I'm really losing the will to watch football as its now mostly played by new money chavs with horrific personality traits and no intelligence. Its certainly not the same sport I played as a boy!!!

If the @rse dropped out of the Premiership it would be no bad thing. Then we may actaully see footballers who care about the game and their club, rather than how many 4x4s they can buy with this week's wage.

HOLA449
Not knowing anything much about football (I played with the odd-shaped ball instead), it is immediately apparent, surely, that since the heart of football is Europe: and that Europe is rapidly plunging into deep recession (in particular Spain, Portugal and Italy) as corporate sponsorship is savagely cut back from necessity and as unemployment reaches a probably 10% across the Eurozone - and higher in the Eastern emerging economies - then hyped nonsense such as paying some dumb bladder basher £150,000 per week and then he blows £200,000 on a Ferrari and wrecks it first time out, will simple no longer compute.

I recently asked an acquaintance the cost of attending a top football match and was staggered.

How many members of the struggling public will be able to afford such extravagances in six month's time, one wonders?

Well the rumour is 65% of Liverpool's fans are unemployed and its never stopped them!!! The other 35% in Jail :P

HOLA4410
Maybe we'll see some sensible wages in football then. Rather than a cross between Mr Potato head and Shrek earning more in a week than I'll earn in the next 5 years. Most of them haven't got a clue about the real world any more and probably don't even know how much a pint of milk costs. Overpaid idiots.

Sensible wages. That would trigger a celebity crisis. Who would buy Hello to see Joe Bloggs who earns @ 20000 a year and who would the pop stars marry?

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
Do we need 'real' footballers at all? Surely with modern CGI and some kind of randomiser software, you could create an entire season of exciting matches (instead of lots of men with silly haircuts standing around spitting, or rolling on the floor in mock agony) complete with pitch invasions, streakers, great players of the past, etc...

Wasn't that called "Football Manager" for the Commodore 64 :-)

HOLA4413
Never understood why they were obsessed with them in the first place,

Can't you? Can't you a Manc really understand about being obsessed? It still eats away at you....doesn't it?... being "The Glams" ....the richest club in the world , but even with your tame 'Bitter' ... still in our shadow.........european champions once more...how embarrassing........still one more than Notts Forest now eh?

HOLA4414
Man Utd are the biggest club in the world. They will have sponsors queueing up to have their names on their shirts. It's all the other dross that will be in trouble (e.g. Wigan / Blackburn / Middlesbrough / Tottenham / West Ham etc)

But you can't run an entire football industry on one or two clubs.

HOLA4415
Well the rumour is 65% of Liverpool's fans are unemployed and its never stopped them!!! The other 35% in Jail :P

Well the rumour is that you get quite upset in some of your posts when people take a stereotypical view of ..er..muslims for example.....all those remarks about suicide bombing etc.

I, for one, appaud you for putting them right.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
Can't you? Can't you a Manc really understand about being obsessed? It still eats away at you....doesn't it?... being "The Glams" ....the richest club in the world , but even with your tame 'Bitter' ... still in our shadow.........european champions once more...how embarrassing........still one more than Notts Forest now eh?

I don't worry too much about a club that last won the league 20 or so years ago and won't win it again for at least another 20 years. ;) But please feel free to come back at the end of the season and ask me again. :P

HOLA4418
I don't worry too much about a club that last won the league 20 or so years ago and won't win it again for at least another 20 years. ;) But please feel free to come back at the end of the season and ask me again. :P

I can remember a 'big' club that hadn't won the league for 23 years. But that was before Sky wasn't it....and BTW if that is the level of your comeback I won't bother winding you up......are you a real Manure fan then ....I mean are you from Surrey?

HOLA4419
:lol::lol::lol: don't you mean their just out of jail !!! :lol:

Ooooh it looks like the little clique is ganging up on me! Do you, a grown man I presume, in all seriousness consider that to be a witty remark? I mean can you honestly..... look at what you have written...with all the daft llittle smileys etc.......have a word with yourself there big man.......

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
Well the rumour is that you get quite upset in some of your posts when people take a stereotypical view of ..er..muslims for example.....all those remarks about suicide bombing etc.

I, for one, appaud you for putting them right.

Thanks! At least someone is reading. Its just football banter not hatred. There is a difference you know!! :rolleyes:

Now go and read more of my posts, now there's a good boy :P

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived