House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dr Renter

Aig Ends Manchester Utd Sponsorship Deal

Linky

Sponsoring companies going bankrupt.

Sky subscriptions likely to plummet.

Attendances likely to start falling.

Rich "billionaires" seeing their asset values tumble.

Bring on the Premiership crash!!!!

Linky

Are they cutting benefits? This is massive news

There must still be a lot out there. Barcelona actually don't have a shirt sponsor. They PAID to use the Unicef logo on their shirts.

I wouldn't be surprised to see that Man Utd end up with a better deal from the next sponsor. They are Champions of Europe once again, which they weren't when AIG came on board, and arguably the biggest club in the world.

As for the rest of them I suspect you may be right!

Are they cutting benefits? This is massive news

Just going on anecdotal evidence, admittedly from people who arent on benefits.

Just going on anecdotal evidence, admittedly from people who arent on benefits.

I know someone who is getting a full Sky Sports package based on the money she is currently saving from the tracker rate on their mortgage having dropped. They have the cash spare so I can't argue with their logic. (they probably bought at least 15 years ago so I dont think it is as daft an idea as it sounds)

Linky

It would be nice to see a bit of reality return to football. I think some of these prima donnas might find it hard to adapt to the new going rate though!

I know someone who is on a debt management plan with the CCCS and was encouraged to claim Sky TV as an essential living cost (along with cigarettes even though he doesnt smoke).

Linky

A footy mad mate of mine said he has noticed an increasing number of empty seats at matches he watches on the tv

There must still be a lot out there. Barcelona actually don't have a shirt sponsor. They PAID to use the Unicef logo on their shirts.

I assume you being ironic... Barcelona choose not to have a sponsor to help a charity. A rare act of compassion in a mercenary world which would not go amiss with the Chelseas of this world.

Man Utd are the biggest club in the world. They will have sponsors queueing up to have their names on their shirts. It's all the other dross that will be in trouble (e.g. Wigan / Blackburn / Middlesbrough / Tottenham / West Ham etc)

Not knowing anything much about football (I played with the odd-shaped ball instead), it is immediately apparent, surely, that since the heart of football is Europe: and that Europe is rapidly plunging into deep recession (in particular Spain, Portugal and Italy) as corporate sponsorship is savagely cut back from necessity and as unemployment reaches a probably 10% across the Eurozone - and higher in the Eastern emerging economies - then hyped nonsense such as paying some dumb bladder basher £150,000 per week and then he blows £200,000 on a Ferrari and wrecks it first time out, will simple no longer compute.

I recently asked an acquaintance the cost of attending a top football match and was staggered.

How many members of the struggling public will be able to afford such extravagances in six month's time, one wonders?

Do we need 'real' footballers at all? Surely with modern CGI and some kind of randomiser software, you could create an entire season of exciting matches (instead of lots of men with silly haircuts standing around spitting, or rolling on the floor in mock agony) complete with pitch invasions, streakers, great players of the past, etc...

A footy mad mate of mine said he has noticed an increasing number of empty seats at matches he watches on the tv

Were the seats sky blue?

Villa also have Acorns charity on their shirt.... I think more teams should do it.

I wouldn't be surprised to see that Man Utd end up with a better deal from the next sponsor. They are Champions of Europe once again, which they weren't when AIG came on board, and arguably the biggest club in the world.

As for the rest of them I suspect you may be right!

Yes they are.

Nobody celebrated more than me when AIG went bust, but the word from Glazer Towers is that a new deal has already been struck, possibly with Saudi Telecom. The locus of the Premiership is shifting.

Do we need 'real' footballers at all? Surely with modern CGI and some kind of randomiser software, you could create an entire season of exciting matches (instead of lots of men with silly haircuts standing around spitting, or rolling on the floor in mock agony) complete with pitch invasions, streakers, great players of the past, etc...

Seriously, I think you're on to something there. If footballers are intent of pricing themselves out of their trade, and people can't afford to attend/maintain the stadiums, then adaptive simulation could really be the answer.

After all, if everyone watches football on TV, what would be the difference?!

Yes they are.

Nobody celebrated more than me when AIG went bust, but the word from Glazer Towers is that a new deal has already been struck, possibly with Saudi Telecom. The locus of the Premiership is shifting.

I heard it was Dubai. Looking forward to a Dubai v Abu Dhabi derby next season.

I heard it was Dubai. Looking forward to a Dubai v Abu Dhabi derby next season.

Well they've blown hot and cold over Anfailed haven't they. Never understood why they were obsessed with them in the first place, but I still think they're waiting for Gillett/Hicks to be forced sellers. Summer looks favourite when they finish 3rd. ;)

But if DIC have got fed up with them then United would make sense, but I think they're more interested in long-term club ownership than sponsorship to be honest. I've been expecting Glazer to sell in '09 for some time, so we'll have to see who gets their cheque book out.

So you're expecting City to still be in the Premiership next season? :P

Seriously, I think you're on to something there. If footballers are intent of pricing themselves out of their trade, and people can't afford to attend/maintain the stadiums, then adaptive simulation could really be the answer.

After all, if everyone watches football on TV, what would be the difference?!

Why stop there? Eventually, with virtual reality simulation, fans could be playing on the pitch themselves! (Though they'd actually sitting in a pod in their front room hooked up to a lager and pie drip)

Just think. To actually be playing a game of football, on a football pitch! Our grandfathers wouldn't have believed it!!

Well they've blown hot and cold over Anfailed haven't they. Never understood why they were obsessed with them in the first place, but I still think they're waiting for Gillett/Hicks to be forced sellers. Summer looks favourite when they finish 3rd. ;)

But if DIC have got fed up with them then United would make sense, but I think they're more interested in long-term club ownership than sponsorship to be honest. I've been expecting Glazer to sell in '09 for some time, so we'll have to see who gets their cheque book out.

So you're expecting City to still be in the Premiership next season? :P

Sadly, yes. :angry:

I agree Dubai are likely buyers, not sponsors