House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Tummybanana

Tim Congdon On Radio 4 Seemed Almost In Tears

Old Vince was on there to point out the bloody obvious, though - the private sector screwed up.

Wonder it TC has a lot of banking shares?

Edited by Jonnyargles

Guest sillybear2

Never shed a tear for a bank, never!

If you end up feeling sorry for a bunch of usurious, immoral, unscrupulous, parasitic, bonus grabbing, misanthropic, exploitative, deceitful scum... given what they've done to the world and future generations because of pure greed, then you need a good smack.

Edited by sillybear2

It must be true what he was sayng though, because he was shouting it.

"THIS IS THEFT!"

Of course, he also said how the government had taken over banks that would in five years time yield a tidy profit for the government.

Which I think puts him off-message with the front bench, who are trying to say that buying the banks has bankrupted the country.

Back to the hymn book, Timmy boy.

Never shed a tear for a bank, never!

If you end up feeling sorry for a bunch of usurious, immoral, unscrupulous, parasitic, bonus grabbing, misanthropic, exploitative, deceitful scum... given what they've done to the world and future generations because of pure greed, then you need a good smack.

quoted for truth...

004__The_Big_Banker.jpg

He was almost hysterical.

"The banks are NOT bankrupt, they are NOT!"

"And they'd have gotten away with it, too, if it hadn't been for that pesky government revealing their losses."

Old Vince was on there to point out the bloody obvious, though - the private sector screwed up.

Wonder it TC has a lot of banking shares?

Are you on about the discussion that happened at around 7.45-8.00 and the guy actually named Tim Congdon who was on with Vince Cable?

If so yes I heard it too and he (TC) sounded ludicrous and even tried to say NR was a viable business that could have continued on!?!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsi...000/7841657.stm

edit: link added

Edited by contractor

Are you on about the discussion that happened at around 7.45-8.00 and the guy actually named Tim Congdon who was on with Vince Cable?

Didn't hear the interview but when I clicked on this thread I was thinking:

'Tim Collins - isn't he the bloke who delivered the rousing speech to the Royal Irish Regiment before going into Iraq in 2003? What does he know about banking?'

More likely to be Tim Congdon I think. Good speech by Tim Collins though - he might give a good one on getting out of this financial crisis if asked as well.

Edited by Wad

If so yes I heard it too and he (TC) sounded ludicrous and even tried to say NR was a viable business that could have continued on!?!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsi...000/7841657.stm

edit: link added

That name does make more sense: I was wondering why a former shadow education secretary was commenting on this - I was walking the Dog at the time. Funny how he seems to have changed his tune:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/ddf4c35e-88e5-11...00779fd2ac.html

He was almost hysterical.

"The banks are NOT bankrupt, they are NOT!"

they are well placed to weather the storm because they have hard-working families to support them.

Guest sillybear2
they are well placed to weather the storm because they have hard-working families to support them.

I think because of the tough choices made to maintain stability, and our low levels of debt, Britain is best placed to weather the storm, the storm that began in the streets of Alabama when an illegal Mexican immigrant named Carlos missed his second mortgage payment, a storm that was fought off like our successful invasion of Dunkirk. We fought hard and strong for an independent Britain, a proud country where banks rule the waves, and where the sun never sets on our national debt. We shall go on to the end, we will bail them on the beaches, we shall fight in the paper mills; and in the printing grounds; we shall never surrender. And when the forests gone, the paper no more and the ink dry, the great British public will relinquish their wall paper and old pizza boxes, and the BoE will carry on the struggle, until, in God's good time, the New World, with all its power and might, gives us an IMF loan, and steps forth to repo the old.

Edited by sillybear2

He did sound very 'on the edge', I thought at one point that someone would have to give him a slap to calm him down :lol:

Tim Congdon is clearly delusional. I hope he is not in any way connected to the Tory Party?

He sounded like a fool and seemed to be on some form of 'medication' if you get my drift.

Yes, sure, Northern Rock was doing fine before the Government stepped in, and all the other banks are OK too!

And, as another poster pointed out above, he actually said that the Government (i.e. the taxpayer) is going to make a big profit in 5 years time.

Thankfully, Vince Cable was there to highlight Tim's inadequacies.

:o

If the government is going to get all their money bank plus big profit from the banks in 5 years time then why will taxes have to be raised as everybody is saying? Surely taxes can come down. I have nothing against taxes in principle apart from the portion that goes to little ASBO ******s.

Tim Congdon is clearly delusional. I hope he is not in any way connected to the Tory Party?

It's Nebulous, but enough so that I don't need to go back and make a grovelling edit.

"Tim Congdon is an economist and writer, who served on the Treasury Panel of Independent Forecasters (the Wise Men) under the last Conservative Government "

It's Nebulous, but enough so that I don't need to go back and make a grovelling edit.

"Tim Congdon is an economist and writer, who served on the Treasury Panel of Independent Forecasters (the Wise Men) under the last Conservative Government "

Good, so he's not connected now.

Edited by SHERWICK

Good, so he's not connected now.

Oh, hang on. . .

Tim is currently a member of the Shadow Monetary Policy Committee.

http://www.lombardstreetresearch.com/about_us/founder.html

But also. . .

(No excerpt needed; point's in the title)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/3636178...eron-stays.html

Edited by Jonnyargles

Bailed to UKIP a while ago because of Cameron.

Edit: Above Torygraph article makes me wonder. Perhaps he is being disingenuous. UKIP have certainly been claiming him as a "fellow traveller" for a while now.

Edited by Cogs

Shadow Monetary Policy Committee has nothing to do with the Conservative Party. It's something organised by the Institute of Economic Affairs.

You should edit your title. You've got the wrong man.

Fixed. Although I still maintain he has Conservative links. Probably spitting feathers over Ken Clarke's appointment.