House Price Crash Forum

Must Be Sold - Northern Terraces Getting Cheaper

davidhpc

HOLA441

I remember clearly mid 90s when ex-metro semis used to go for about £8K in the rough parts of northern cities. Could be heading back there soon?

Some cheap guides at Must be Sold Jan Auction next week.

£22K for this terrace in Lancs (lot 51) ... is it better than cash in the bank with Gordenron ordering Merv to start up the presses?

527_RochdaleRd.jpg

post-6111-1232516816_thumb.jpg

Edited by davidhpc

HOLA442

A house is only as valuable as the area it's in. If the house is already in a horrible place during the boom period ask yourself how bad it's going to be during a long drawn out 10 year depression and how many decades it will take to recover in value after that. Or indeed if it's even sellable in the future.

I'd value £20k or even £10k over a house in a place I'd never want to live and whose only tenants would be disgusting benefit scroungers that would wreck the place up.

HOLA443

this is real world BTL with risks and good mathematics, not miracle economics with 125% loans and new build flats, some who were doing this in the 90s cashed out as millionaires in the recent boom

gordenron is going to steal your cash through inflation and give it to bankers and scroungers anyway, time to make a move?

HOLA444
HOLA445
gordenron is going to steal your cash through inflation and give it to bankers and scroungers anyway, time to make a move?

I never said to hold sterling. The best long term bet at the moment is gold and RMB. I think the reason so many people hate gold on this forum is because it makes the puzzle of what to hold incredibly easy so they dismiss it summararily or missguide themselves into believing it's not a good investment.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

Can remember in Benwell in Newcastle in 2002/03 houses were going for £5k. I also remember the council selling houses for £1 (one pound) to people on the proviso that they lived there for x number of years and kept them in good order. I think they are priced around £50k - £70k now.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

For your interest.........Swilly / North Prospect in Plymouth Devon.

1997 asking prices on semis as low as 8500 to 9000

2008 asking prices up to 100,000 +

Unsurprisingly they are not selling. I have been wondering what the bottom of the market price will be. 8500 ? hard to believe, but when unemployment goes bad the cheap parts of all cities will be hit hardest.

Edited by bricor mortis

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
I remember clearly mid 90s when ex-metro semis used to go for about £8K in the rough parts of northern cities. Could be heading back there soon?

Some cheap guides at Must be Sold Jan Auction next week.

£22K for this terrace in Lancs (lot 51) ... is it better than cash in the bank with Gordenron ordering Merv to start up the presses?

You'd probably recoup your capital in around 5 years. After that it's free money. So long as it rents. There are plenty of identical houses in better Northern towns selling for £150k+. £22k almost looks cheap.

HOLA4420

The cheaper the house the more you will resent the council tax levied on it

& I still say (& will still get laughed at) that there will be property with council tax higher than its 2012ish? purchase price.

I can go back to the early 60s with seaside Scottish houses at £30.

This 'every house is an investment' twaddle is not the historic norm for Britain, & it's a lesson that will be slowly & painfully learnt

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
when we get to £10K, i'm in :P .

Bought my bunglaow in Chiang Mai, Thailand 3 years ago for £8500...nice area and nice weather.

As an added benefit back then £1 would buy 70 baht, now it is 48 baht. so my house has gone up to £12400 even though the price in Thai Baht hasn't moved. Still get paid in sterling and have to change it to live there so not gaining anything really. :)

HOLA4423