House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TheBlueCat

Obama Inaugural Address

America is facing an economic crisis caused by greed, but, also our collective failure to make hard choices.

It will be interesting to see what the hard choices are that he has in mind, but it's good to hear the leader of the free world say the first bit, can't imagine Bush ever saying something like that.

It will be interesting to see what the hard choices are that he has in mind, but it's good to hear the leader of the free world say the first bit, can't imagine Bush ever saying something like that.

I think the pointer was about how people voluntarily gave up working hours to keep a colleague in work.

USA - 3 day week then to get through the depression whilst they try and build up a renewable energy based economy, with massive investment in public transport works, communal housing, comparatively low wages to produce solar cells, competing with east germany etc?

have missed the address - will try and get a transcript.

but what was bemusing was the fact that he messed up the swearing in - how come he didn't put his hand up to swear when he should have and then muffed up repeating back the sentences - which we all could have done (clip was on the BBC) - perhaps to much practice on his speach rather than taking the oath.

also odd is seeing News at 10 clip - when he's out there walking the streets with his wife - clearly in view of any snipper - but has invested in a huge car that's reinforced beyond belief - some say with a special hologram of him waiving so people don't know that he's not let down the windows.

hope that this isn't a sign of things to come - that all he can do is make speaches - but when asked to do real office - he's unable to say the words.

also odd is seeing News at 10 clip - when he's out there walking the streets with his wife - clearly in view of any snipper - but has invested in a huge car that's reinforced beyond belief - some say with a special hologram of him waiving so people don't know that he's not let down the windows.

His route would have been checked by secret service agents. Military snipers, police etc would have been in/on every building. In the sky helicopters, AWACS etc. would have been monitoring the situation.

He was not just out 'walking the streets'.

but what was bemusing was the fact that he messed up the swearing in - how come he didn't put his hand up to swear when he should have and then muffed up repeating back the sentences - which we all could have done (clip was on the BBC) - perhaps to much practice on his speach rather than taking the oath.

Oh I don't know, I made a complete hash of repeating back my wedding vows. Also, given he's a politician, you've got to make allowances for him being completely unused to listening to anything anyone else is saying.

hope that this isn't a sign of things to come - that all he can do is make speaches - but when asked to do real office - he's unable to say the words.

Apparently it wasn't him who messed it up, it was the bloke speaking the oath before him, and he was thrown off a bit.

But hey ho.

As for the speech, no cue cards, no Autocue that I could see. But I guess it helps if you've got a brain, are relating a speech that you actually wrote yourself, and actually believe in.

I think the guy who he had to repeat after screwed up, and that threw him.

The oath is "I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States." The guy put the faithfully in the wrong place.

Apparently it wasn't him who messed it up, it was the bloke speaking the oath before him, and he was thrown off a bit.

But hey ho.

As for the speech, no cue cards, no Autocue that I could see. But I guess it helps if you've got a brain, are relating a speech that you actually wrote yourself, and actually believe in.

I could be wrong but I think that the two angled security screens to his left and right could be autocues, that's why he's looking left and right like a robot. (It was a good delivery though).

My favourite quote "Our health care is too costly; our schools fail too many; and each day brings further evidence that the ways we use energy strengthen our adversaries and threaten our planet."

It's hard to stand naked in front of a mirror and point out the flaws. Let's hope he is not like 95% of politicians all talk (lies) and no action. STOP BUYING OIL.

This was discussed earlier. The Chief Justice actually got the words in the wrong order. Obama, as he repeated them, and I'm sure he'd learnt it pretty well, realised it was wrong, stopped and nodded at him. The words were then corrected. Coolly done I thought.

Edited by deflation

Thank you guys - I never would have understood that it wasn't OB that got it wrong - I'll spread it around the office - as we were all miffed how it got it wrong.

Multiply that by many more - and poor guy - already we're saying he's not fit for office!!!

I could be wrong but I think that the two angled security screens to his left and right could be autocues, that's why he's looking left and right like a robot. (It was a good delivery though).

Yes indeed the screens are autocues (nothing to do with security).

He always looks to the left and right when giving a speech or statement, it's his studied way of seeming to address everyone in the audience.

Thank you guys - I never would have understood that it wasn't OB that got it wrong - I'll spread it around the office - as we were all miffed how it got it wrong.

Multiply that by many more - and poor guy - already we're saying he's not fit for office!!!

If you watch it again, look at his expression and the reaction of the guy swearing him in. It gives it away. 'Bama handled it well.

Edited by mirage

But hey ho.

He, as do most politicians, uses autocues or transparent teleprompters as they are sometimes known. To see how subtle and convincing this effect is go to 24 minutes in:

Also, he also employs several script writers although he is a capable writer himself. Obama Script Writers