Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
No link as news reported on non-English channels

this is exactly why the UK always gets hit the hardest in these situations imo.

They mis report or don't report, so when it happens, it happens very fast.

Like the banks & sm going down etc.

Imagine what it must feel like for the people who have no idea this is going on. They wake up one day, they get made redundant, there house drops in value like a stone, the mortgage goes up, all their basic living costs go up. I could go on.... :ph34r:

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Iceland Riots

Icelandic police fired pepper spray to control protesters demanding that the government resign for overseeing the country's economic collapse.

A crowd estimated by police at more than 1,000, some hammering on pots and pans, gathered around the Althing parliament building in the capital Reykjavik.

"About 20 persons have sought assistance from medics, stationed by the Althing, to get treatment after having been sprayed with pepper spray," Icelandic police chief Sigurbjorn Jonsson said.

State radio said 20 people had been arrested. Jonsson said police would comment on arrests once the protest was over.

Iceland's currency plunged and its financial system collapsed in October under the weight of billions of dollars of foreign debts incurred by its banks. The volcanic island's economy is expected to suffer a huge contraction this year while unemployment, once close to zero, is set to soar.

Protests against Prime Minister Geir Haarde's government and the central bank have become a regular fixture in the once-tranquil streets of the capital. A parliament official said the demonstration had caused a 15-minute delay to Tuesday's session.

Popular discontent over the impact of the global financial crisis has contributed to violent protests in several European countries, including Bulgaria, Latvia, Lithuania and Greece, which saw a wave of riots in December.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Here's a post from a good Icelandic blog (which I think I first heard about on this site). I recommend it if you want to keep and eye on what is happening there:

http://icelandweatherreport.com/

Monument to megalomania

by alda on January 9, 2009

OK, so Christmas is over, and we’re into the period that everybody was dreading, post-Yule, when the awful kreppa would finally dig in its claws and we’d really start to feel it.

And as a nation, I guess we are. The news are pretty depressing - hospitals are closing, potentially 3,500 companies going bankrupt by the end of this year, hundreds of people lined up at the unemployment offices at the beginning of the month, etc. A number of people I know were laid off last October and November, but it seems this was preemptive by a lot of employers … many have since been hired back, albeit usually at lower wages than before. A few people I know have not been hired back, but all of them seem to have found something else to do.

Chez YT, meanwhile, things are much the same as ever - we get up, EPI goes to work, AAH goes to school, and YT sits down at the computer. I’m still getting assignments in, although I have noticed a change … in the past I was pretty much inundated with translations and copy editing work and people weren’t too concerned about price … these days people ask for quotes and are concerned with budgets. Some of them back out, don’t get in touch again, or look for alternatives - despite the fact that I’ve lowered my rates, as have most freelancers I know [and wage earners in general]. Whether there will be an ongoing reduction in the number of assignments still remains to be seen - there are seasonal trends in my line of work and Christmas and the beginning of January are always a bit slow.

Meanwhile, construction of the new Concert Hall and Conference Centre in downtown Reykjavík, aka Da Big Eyesore, has ground to a halt and may very well stay that way. It is half-finished and construction was stopped at the beginning of this year because the contractor overseeing the job hadn’t been paid for three months. If construction stops, that malformed embryo of a concert hall will remain there for the next several years as a bleak testimony to the megalomania that characterized this society in the past few years - it was supposed to have been largely funded by Landsbanki bank and the Björgólfurs.

I remember shaking my head when I heard about the plans - it was massive, like it was being built in a city of a couple million people, not 170,000 or whatever the Greater Reykjavík Area is today. Their website details all those grandiose plans and clearly once had a webcam, which now appears to be defunct, on which people could follow construction work on the site. Perhaps the most ominous part of the plans was the inclusion of the so-called “Reykjavík World Trade Center” [title in English] on the site. In light of the horrific demise of its namesake on 9/11 I am amazed that anyone could even think to use that name - and in light of recent developments it is downright creepy. *Shudder*

Anyway, if no solution is found in the next few days then apparently it may take ten years to restart the project. Personally I have no emotional investment in that concrete monstrosity, but am not thrilled to have to drive past it for the next ten years, every time I go through downtown. Plus I am sad for the Iceland Symphony Orchestra, which has been lobbying relentlessly for years for a proper concert hall in which to play, allowing it to move out of the University Cinema, where it is housed now. It really is a shame, because the Orchestra is a world-class act [it was nominated for a Grammy just a few weeks ago] and really deserves better premises [the University Cinema is not designed for concerts and has crap acousitics]. However, I have my doubts as to whether it could have sustained audience numbers in the 1,800-seat hall that it was meant to move into in the new building.

All things considered, though, most of us Nicelanders are doing OK. Everything is going up up up in price and who knows where it will end, but we still have plenty of food in the stores and warmth in our homes and nobody has died from the kreppa. And with daily news reports about the horror taking place in Gaza, our current predicament seems like the lap of luxury.

Edited by williamdb

HOLA4416

The protests in Iceland outside the bank and govt building I've read about before, it was discussed on 1st Jan:

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...p;#entry1556474

The difference is that their famous cool (doh!) has given way. Tear gas used and 20 arrests.

Its been happening for quite a while.

Edited by deflation

HOLA4417
The protests in Iceland outside the bank and govt building I've read about before, it was discussed on 1st Jan:

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...p;#entry1556474

The difference is that their famous cool (doh!) has given way. Tear gas used and 20 arrests.

Its been happening for quite a while.

The difference is that today protesters got beaten (morally raped) and tear gased and no channel in this 24 by 7 TV rrabbish country reported the rape.

Edited by threetimesdead

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
The difference is that today protesters got bitten (morally raped) and tear gased and no channel in this 24 by 7 TV rrabbish country reported the rape.

Incredible isn't it. Yet Kate and Leonardo managed to get a mention on every bulletin there was yesterday, like anyone gives a sh!t.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

This makes me curious.

The woman who lives downstairs has a son who works in Iceland as a carpenter. Apparently, Icelanders are crap at this, or are not interested in doing it. But, his boss has two years of contracts still to go, some of which were agreed recently, to renovate old crumbling houses over there.

His skills have apparently made him highly sought-after over there - as he is a very good one - and he keeps getting "headhunted". But, he might be packing it in due to the exchange rate on his wages decimating him, since the crisis over there occurred.

Why can't these unemployed Icelanders learn carpentry, for example. I have been told they are crap at it, but, if they could learn, then they might get the hang of it?

From what I've been told, there are still lots of foreign workers in Iceland doing building / carpentry / plumbing etc, but alot are leaving now due to the exchange rate.

This is just an anecdotal reply to add to this thread.

Edited by Shao Kahn

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425
you'll be needing the following items....

t_s10_head.jpg

and a

gm_SA-POLVST-BAL_5.jpg

and finally a

919b.jpg

Eh, and with all that ammunition you are still crashed by the state and all those anti-terror provisions to shut you up.

Meanwhile the rest of the world is silent on your incarceration for exercising your "freedom of speech".

Silence... Is it the other sides way of getting ready for the post QE action?