House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Not Long Now

Well At Least The Us Banks Are Holding Up Well Today...

Wells Fargo -24%

Confidence in banks is just about gone for good.

Could it be the news that RBS wrote down £20bn of 'goodwill' from its balance sheet? Which I guess was accounted for as Tier 1 capital together with Tax credits and long term liabilities?

Will it ever come back? The market is saying no.

Full nationalisation seems to be the only way through this crisis now.

Wells Fargo -24%

Confidence in banks is just about gone for good.

Could it be the news that RBS wrote down £20bn of 'goodwill' from its balance sheet? Which I guess was accounted for as Tier 1 capital together with Tax credits and long term liabilities?

Will it ever come back? The market is saying no.

anyone know when that might come ? any ideas out there ?

In precipitating this new stage of the crisis, which inevitably takes us closer to an eventual solution, one could just about argue that Gordon Brown saved the world again!

anyone know when that might come ? any ideas out there ?

At the speed things are going pretty soon.

The first UK bailout lasted barely 3 months before another was needed.

The Irish are already contemplating this.

Any accurate prediction is impossible as too many variables and something may happen to prevent it.

I'm guessing it will be within 12 months, maybe by the the summer for the UK. Once one nation starts down this road I would suspect others will rapidly follow. The markets will force it as I'm sure they'll panic once the first major nation has done this. All the other govts will deny they have any plans to follow Country X a week later or so they will have done nationalised there banks as well.

At the speed things are going pretty soon.

The first UK bailout lasted barely 3 months before another was needed.

The Irish are already contemplating this.

Any accurate prediction is impossible as too many variables and something may happen to prevent it.

I'm guessing it will be within 12 months, maybe by the the summer for the UK. Once one nation starts down this road I would suspect others will rapidly follow. The markets will force it as I'm sure they'll panic once the first major nation has done this. All the other govts will deny they have any plans to follow Country X a week later or so they will have done nationalised there banks as well.

There HAS to be a time when we start to let these Banks go.

Throwing so much good money off to bad is utter madness.

Please explain your logic.

I see people saying RBS will be nationalized but I do not understand why. The fact is that the markets can drive it down to 0.01p per share, but it will still be there. It cannot go bust since it is government backed. There is no reason at all to buy the remaining shares. They already control the bank and can choose to make never pay a dividend again if they choose. There is nothing the owners of the other 30% can do, buying them out would simply waste money.

They already own 70% of the shares. I would be getting onto the fraud office, since they are not borrowing shares from the gov and the pension funds are slow movers etc, its pretty clearly all naked shorting. All they have to do to bring the price back up is announce an investigation into the share trading and watch the naked shorters trying to cover their positions.

I see people saying RBS will be nationalized but I do not understand why. The fact is that the markets can drive it down to 0.01p per share, but it will still be there. It cannot go bust since it is government backed. There is no reason at all to buy the remaining shares. They already control the bank and can choose to make never pay a dividend again if they choose. There is nothing the owners of the other 30% can do, buying them out would simply waste money.

They already own 70% of the shares. I would be getting onto the fraud office, since they are not borrowing shares from the gov and the pension funds are slow movers etc, its pretty clearly all naked shorting. All they have to do to bring the price back up is announce an investigation into the share trading and watch the naked shorters trying to cover their positions.

People lose confidence and try to withdraw their money. Try being the operative word.

Edited by Hancial

All shareholders could be wiped out. Northern Rock is still there, but all shareholders look likely to be wiped out.

If I had Bank shares I too would sell out. Who wants any aspect of their wealth to be determined at the whim of a politician.

It's not a waste of money when they are worthless. Look at Norther Rock for example, nationalised when the shares were still trading but shareholders got nothing once the true extent of their problem became known.

Why nationalise? To avoid threads like this one that undermine what's left of the trust in the banking system. The share price action post UK Bailout II tells everyone: it's failed and we need to get rid of our investments in banks as quick as we can. So it just makes matters worse, the next step being masive capital flight, something we don't want to experience.

There is the small matter of the banks' debts having to move onto the nation's books with full nationalisation; that would bring the nation's debts from 40% to 450%, a small problem... But it seems if we go the way of Iceland and let the banks default ten we are no better; or perhaps not, I'm not clear about this one. Or about anything for that matter.

The price falls are not due to naked short selling this time, we've been there, done that. This time its funds doing the selling, fewer and fewer people want to own these as the realisation is dawning they they aren't worth a thing.