House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dr Gitfinger

Labour Election Broadcase From 1997

Does anyone know if the 1997 "Get the vote out" broadcast can be found on the web? I can't find it in YouTube or Google.

It's the one with Pete Postlethwaite as a taxi driver showing an undecided voter what might happen if NuLab didn't get in (based on "It's a wonderful life").

I remember finding it pretty nauseating at the time and I thought it would be interesting to see it again in the light of current developments but they seem to have airbrushed it out of history.

Thanks very much for the 2005 "Waking up with the Conservatives" spoof - hadn't seen that.

Here's Harry Enfield's "L is for Labour" : http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=AnxPuidq1qQ

Here's Harry Enfield's "L is for Labour" : http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=AnxPuidq1qQ

Harry Enfield was a bit of a NooLabour Luvvie (Tory Boy, etc) but to his credit Enfield did get pissed at a Downing Street party in 1999 and told Mandelson to resign.

"I'd written something rude about Mandelson, and he came up to me and said, `What have you got against me in particular?' So I said, `You should resign. You're credited with making Labour popular again, but you're the least popular member of the Cabinet, so by your own logic you should fall on your sword.' He just sort of grinned at me, so I got embarrassed, I thought he'd at least say something joshy. And then I saw Tony Blair, and I went over and said, `You should sack Mandy for the following reasons...' which was when Ben Elton suddenly came between us, and I said to Lucy, `Why has Ben barged in?' and she said, `You're drunk.'

"Well, never tell a drunkard he's drunk. I said, `Lucy says I'm drunk. Am I drunk, Prime Minister?' To which Blair replied [cue his Blair impression], `You know, a lot of people think I'm just the man who stands behind the dispatch box'." Enfield roars with laughter again. "Bit of a conversation- stopper really. I think he was trying to say that he is just an ordinary bloke.

"Anyway, they didn't like me going public on our conversation, which was a bit rich, seeing as the whole point of the thing was for them to go public on their palliness with lots of celebrities." Indeed. And of course, Mandelson did resign. "Yes," says Enfield gleefully, "that's what I would say if I was a politician" - he goes all gruff and posh, and bangs the side of his chair - "I demanded his resignation... and six months later HE WAS GONE!"

Labour's "Economic Disaster II" broadcast from 2001 is another fine specimen: http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=i07lykCPHcw

The Black Wednesday/15% interest rates, Unemployment figures and negative equity sound

like a reasurring dream right now. Having moved into breaking records from the 80s and almost

the 1930s but should happen shortly as the UK collapses.