House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Gone baby gone

Sheeple Getting The Message

Just popped into my local supermarket for some milk. Standing at the checkout and overheard a conversation between the checkout staff who were worried about their jobs as a meeting with all staff had been called for the next day. The customer in front of me who was being served said she had been on an inter city train and had been sitting across from two businessmen working through a spreadsheet of redundancies!

The checkout operator lady then piped in with "I see another bank is gone"

the other checkout operator next door to her said, "what do you mean?"

first operator: "well, RBS are almost bankrupt like Northern Rock"

other operator: "Oh no, I've just sold my house and the money is in RBS"

first operator: "you should move it somewhere else"

They then proceeded to talk about increases in crime caused by old people taking all their money as cash and being robbed at home or out and about.

The problems are starting to enter the consciousness of the 'man on the street' now :ph34r:

As times get hard for more and more people, I think there could be a huge rise in card fraud. Just think how many people who worked in jobs where they had access to card numbers etc. are likely to become redundant in the near future.

Edited by blankster

On TV they were interviewing people in Swindon about the downturn. They had a man in his 50's who's been made redundant and saw no prospect of getting another job. Then as usual, they tried to balance the feature with a little 'but it's not all gloom and doom' tale. They interviewed a very beautiful but rather smug young woman who'd just got a job in a shop. She more-or-less said: "recession...what recession? I've just got a job". Her advice to the 50-something man was to get out there and look for work like she did. Unbelievable!

Edited by blankster

On TV they were interviewing people in Swindon about the downturn. They had a man in his 50's who's been made redundant and saw no prospect of getting another job. Then as usual, they tried to balance the feature with a little 'but it's not all gloom and doom' tale. They interviewed a very beautiful but rather smug young woman who'd just got a job in a shop. She more-or-less said: "recession...what recession? I've just got a job". Her advice to the 50-something man was to get out there and look for work like she did. Unbelievable!

Whether the 50 year old will find work is obviously debatable. OTOH 'get out there and look' is a better strategy than sitting around moping. So the advice was good - even if the context/tone in which it was given was not.

Then as usual, they tried to balance the feature with a little 'but it's not all gloom and doom' tale. They interviewed a very beautiful but rather smug young woman who'd just got a job in a shop.

I thought she said her job was with Nat West.

:lol::lol::lol:

There is never a recession if you are a beautiful young woman. They are recession-proof.

As times get hard for more and more people, I think there could be a huge rise in card fraud. Just think how many people who worked in jobs where they had access to card numbers etc. are likely to become redundant in the near future.

Daughter working in the wilder reaches of Ethiopia just found over £4K's worth of dodgy transactions on her card, and what with a Jurassic phone in her office couldn't push 37 different buttons to talk to a human at her bank. Had to do it via moi who was tearing hair trying to get Indian call centre bloke to understand that no, she was not able to call that number herself - must have explained at length at least 4 times. Eventually he came up with a number where she could actually speak to a human first off.

Over £2K of the money was spent on something called Red Flush, which I googled to find that it was online gambling.

How much are banks having to write off like this? I do wonder.

There is never a recession if you are a beautiful young woman. They are recession-proof.

I think there's some truth in that! Unfortunately I'm too old and of the wrong gender to test that theory in person!

I don't think they are redundancy proof but beautiful young women and handsome young men, especially if they have a bit of charm and gift of the gab, have a big advantage in finding new jobs.

Edited by blankster