House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bogbrush

Obama, The Hope For The World

Has he actually said anything yet?

He's not presenting a policy document to Congress. The inauguration is all about symbolism, rhetoric etc.... Did you expect him to give a lecture on house prices, interest rates and quantitative easing or something?

Has he actually said anything yet?

:lol:

Hope, peace, vague uncatagorised word that'll mean something to everyone but nothing specific, trust, america, nominalisation, blah, blah

The crowd love it though - he makes those manipulative psychic cold readers on cable TV look like Benny off crosssroads.

I was kinda hoping for something more than a reprise of the Founding Fathers and the like.

I'm all for headlines from a Leader, but frankly this was disappointing because it didn't make me feel 1% of his effort on election night (and I supported him over Clinton/McCaim throughout).

Well, I was expecting something a little more uplifting.

Just seemed to present a picture of doom and said we have to pull together to get through it.

Markets haven't even rallied.

I was kinda hoping for something more than a reprise of the Founding Fathers and the like.

I'm all for headlines from a Leader, but frankly this was disappointing because it didn't make me feel 1% of his effort on election night (and I supported him over Clinton/McCaim throughout).

If you have a closed mind you won't have heard it, no.

If you have a closed mind you won't have heard it, no.

Oh I get it;

Obama makes greatest ever speech = you can think

disappointing effort = closed mind

Thanks for the tip.

This man just spouts vacuous gibberish, we heard the same sort of stuff from Blair and look how that turned out. Ron Paul should be President.

I thought it was a great speech, but then again my suspicions are that there are a proportion of people here (forums) who like to make a drama out of a crisis (perhaps they feel their future is otherwise not very exciting) . They are precisely the sort of people one does not want around in times of crisis...as they take a gloating joy in making things worse.

Obama is so different to them I am not surprised that they find his attitude threatening !!!

I expect this will end up in the Troll forum.

I thought it was a great speech, but then again my suspicions are that there are a proportion of people here (forums) who like to make a drama out of a crisis (perhaps they feel their future is otherwise not very exciting) . They are precisely the sort of people one does not want around in times of crisis...as they take a gloating joy in making things worse.

Obama is so different to them I am not surprised that they find his attitude threatening !!!

I expect this will end up in the Troll forum.

I like Obama.

I hoped he would win, and he did.

The problem however is the scale of the issues we face. There are no easy ways out of the amount of debt that has ballooned over recent years.

Also, lets not forget, he is the leader of America, not the world. He will protect America first before thinking of anyone else, that is his job.

he f*cked all his lines up at the swear in :lol::lol::lol:

Yeah, I think we all cringed when he did that, but Dubya probably wanted to smile and to punch the air and say "See, it ain't just me!"

I like Obama.

I hoped he would win, and he did.

The problem however is the scale of the issues we face. There are no easy ways out of the amount of debt that has ballooned over recent years.

Also, lets not forget, he is the leader of America, not the world. He will protect America first before thinking of anyone else, that is his job.

Yep, me too.

Let's not forget, it could have been 4 years of constant recussitation to prevent President Palin................ :o

As the ship goes down, it doesn't matter who is Captain of the Titanic.......he has a nice turn of phrase but is pretty much impotent to change anything, even if he wanted to. Which he doesn't. More of the same, but much more erudite than the previous incumbent.

Yep, me too.

Ditto. In order for his election to have been a success - all we need is for him not to pander to the same cronies as Bush did. It isn't an especially hard challenge - anything beyond that will be a pleasant surprise.

I was, however, disappointed with his novel which I bought and tried to read... it is awful from a literary perspective - IMHO. Obama should stick to what he seems to be good at - i.e. politics. In spite of my attack on Obama's credentials as an author, I do think he's very bright; very self assured - and can hardly fail to be a significant improvement over either GW Bush or Bill Clinton. I feel it is also a bonus that Obama is a fresh face - the simple fact that his family have not yet had a president means that he will have greater scope to resolve old conflicts than, for example, would Hilary Clinton.

Tomorrow is when we expect, if we are to believe Biden, that Obama will face his first crisis... I'm still betting that this will be financial.

the other guy messed up the line. obama waited for him to correct it.

this president is a breath of fresh air. good luck to him.

It's quite ironic that the Bush-appointed Chief Justice didn't appear to have read the constitution before.

Ditto. In order for his election to have been a success - all we need is for him not to pander to the same cronies as Bush did. It isn't an especially hard challenge - anything beyond that will be a pleasant surprise.

I was, however, disappointed with his novel which I bought and tried to read... it is awful from a literary perspective - IMHO. Obama should stick to what he seems to be good at - i.e. politics. In spite of my attack on Obama's credentials as an author, I do think he's very bright; very self assured - and can hardly fail to be a significant improvement over either GW Bush or Bill Clinton. I feel it is also a bonus that Obama is a fresh face - the simple fact that his family have not yet had a president means that he will have greater scope to resolve old conflicts than, for example, would Hilary Clinton.

Tomorrow is when we expect, if we are to believe Biden, that Obama will face his first crisis... I'm still betting that this will be financial.

that worries me...hes good at politics.....we are doomed.

He's been put in to take the blame for the next few years. There's going to be one almighty backlash when the average American realises things are not getting any better and are in fact getting worse. He's been built up for a fall -a big one.

He's been put in to take the blame for the next few years. There's going to be one almighty backlash when the average American realises things are not getting any better and are in fact getting worse. He's been built up for a fall -a big one.

half of Americans DIDNT vote for him

Tells us something about Americans.

Acerbic comment yesterday from Bill Bonner, author of The Empire of Debt, from his Daily Reckoning newsletter:

In the beginning, the U.S. government was specifically limited in what it could do. Now, very little remains that it can’t do. But in all matters – big or small...torturing people or taking their money – government leaders must pretend to be acting in the national interest. It’s a low-down, dirty business that usually attracts people of the same sort. People like George W. Bush and Joseph Biden...people with no sense or no principles – or neither. People who don’t know a lie when they hear it or...don’t mind telling one.

That’s why we’re sorry to seem Obama in the trade; he seems like such a nice fellow.

But politics...alas, someone’s got to do it. As the old Latin expression puts it: The voters want to be deceived; then let them be deceived.

So many patsies...so little time. Bernie Madoff could barely keep up with all the people who wanted to give him money. The hopefuls joined his Palm Beach country club just for the opportunity to slip a few extra large bills in his pocket. Old buddies sought him out...eager to part with their entire fortunes.

And look at the Treasury market! The patsies line up to buy I.O.U.s from a deadbeat debtor who already owes money all over town. And now he’s passing out more I.O.Us...at a faster and faster pace...trillions of dollars’ worth of them. Not only that, the debtor in question has said publicly that he intends to lower the value of his paper – at all costs.

And now the voters...the general public...the lumphouseholders – they’re dying for a lie too. They want someone to tell them that he’s got the recession under control.

Well, if they’re going to be deceived someone’s got to tell them lies. Barack...you’re up!