House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest xeouialp

Execute.... Faithfully?

You'd have thought he'd have memorised it? They rattled off long sentences to him to recite back. I seem to remember Bush getting it a few words at a time.

Mind you, those with long memories will remember Diana getting Charles' christian names wrong at the wedding in '81. :blink:

Guest xeouialp
You'd have thought he'd have memorised it? They rattled off long sentences to him to recite back. I seem to remember Bush getting it a few words at a time.

Mind you, those with long memories will remember Diana getting Charles' christian names wrong at the wedding in '81. :blink:

I remember it well. That was Diana's fault, dippy thing.

I think Obama probably did memorise his words but was wrong-footed by the Chief Justice who said the wrong words (ok... the right words, just in the wrong order, Mr Previn...) for him to repeat. What do you do? Look like a fool or correct the Chief Justice make him look like a fool. Obama played it cool ... the body language said it all ... "could you just say that sentence you've just invented again for me, Mr Chief Justice?" I think Obama's first decision as President of the United States would been to force all Chief Justices for ever more to rehearse 30 times before every inauguration in future.

Maybe I'm just being a grumpy old man with the sheen coming off the Obama presidency 10 seconds before it started.

One executes faithfully. To faithfully execute splits the infinitive, in the same way that Captain James T. Kirk did when the announced his 5 year mission "to boldy go where no man has gone before".

He should, of course, have "gone boldly".

Boy, to a grammar pedant like me that felt GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODDD!!

One executes faithfully. To faithfully execute splits the infinitive, in the same way that Captain James T. Kirk did when the announced his 5 year mission "to boldy go where no man has gone before".

Dont you ever slag star trek again you bad nasty man!

+1

... and can it really be true that split infinitives are enshired in the US Constitution???? Shocking!

Guest xeouialp

Thank you.

I am determined to get to the bottom of this. It is far more important than whether or not to press the nuclear button.

Obama wasn't using the infinitive. He was using the future tense. Surely you're allowed to place the adverb between the personal pronoun and the future participle? The wording of the oath used for 200 years is

"... that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States."

The incompetent, dispicable, unparellelledly stupid, idiotic Chief Justice decided to use the wording

"....that I will execute the office of the President of the United States faithfully."

and therefore confused Obama in his final 10 seconds as President-Elect, such that he then had to gesture him to repeat this unfamiliar oath.

I am extremely upset about this. Infact, I think somebody should be impeached. With cream.

(Edited for grammatical correctness)

Edited by xeouialp

I wish Gordon Brown would be gone, boldly.

When Star Trek TNG started, Patrick Stewart, the love, tried to get it changed. Being a Shakespearean "Actore," he knew a split infinitive , No. 1! I think he was told to 'can it', say it like Shatner did, it's traditional, you know.

Just seen it again on the news, you're right, it was the Chief Justice who got it wrong, Obama corrected him with a look and a nod. Nicely done.

Edited by deflation

When Star Trek TNG started, Patrick Stewart, the love, tried to get it changed. Being a Shakespearean "Actore," he knew a split infinitive , No. 1! I think he was told to 'can it', say it like Shatner did, it's traditional, you know.

It was all they could do to get him not to bawl it out and sob uncontrollably through the monologue.