House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
wickywackywoo

Advice Please

Hi all

Wondered if anybody could give some advice.

Moved out of a house I'd rented for four and a half years.

Agent with-held £240 for the following:

1. £155 for carpet cleaning. I cleaned the carpets properly the week prior to moving out and they were clean. I have photographs showing this. There were two small burn marks in carpets. First in the living room, second in upstairs bedroom. Both marks are about a centimetre square, really quite small. Carpets are cheap and are shown on the moving in inventory as showing signs of wear and tear four and a half years ago. For some reason the letting agent insisted that the carpets should be cleaned because of the burns! I asked how she expected cleaning to remove burn marks but she couldn't give an answer. The £155 is for cleaning every carpet in the house, not just the carpets with the burn marks.

2. Crack in perspex shed window. Charged £60 for replacing a perspex shed window which had a crack in it. No idea how the crack got there, could just be that perspex can do that. Charged the full price despite the old window being so cloudy you couldn't see through it. This is clearly bettering the landlords position at my expense.

2. £25 for oven cleaning. I spent three hours cleaning the oven prior to leaving. It was spotless.

I put all these points in writing to the letting agents offering £15 for each burn mark and they completely ignored them. I sent them a small claims court summons a month or so ago. They are defending the claim.

Any ideas on the outcome in court? Is the £15 for each burn mark I offered a reasonable amount? I took numerous photo's of the house before I left and also have the receipt for the carpet cleaner.

Hi all

Wondered if anybody could give some advice.

Moved out of a house I'd rented for four and a half years.

Agent with-held £240 for the following:

1. £155 for carpet cleaning. I cleaned the carpets properly the week prior to moving out and they were clean. I have photographs showing this. There were two small burn marks in carpets. First in the living room, second in upstairs bedroom. Both marks are about a centimetre square, really quite small. Carpets are cheap and are shown on the moving in inventory as showing signs of wear and tear four and a half years ago. For some reason the letting agent insisted that the carpets should be cleaned because of the burns! I asked how she expected cleaning to remove burn marks but she couldn't give an answer. The £155 is for cleaning every carpet in the house, not just the carpets with the burn marks.

2. Crack in perspex shed window. Charged £60 for replacing a perspex shed window which had a crack in it. No idea how the crack got there, could just be that perspex can do that. Charged the full price despite the old window being so cloudy you couldn't see through it. This is clearly bettering the landlords position at my expense.

2. £25 for oven cleaning. I spent three hours cleaning the oven prior to leaving. It was spotless.

I put all these points in writing to the letting agents offering £15 for each burn mark and they completely ignored them. I sent them a small claims court summons a month or so ago. They are defending the claim.

Any ideas on the outcome in court? Is the £15 for each burn mark I offered a reasonable amount? I took numerous photo's of the house before I left and also have the receipt for the carpet cleaner.

Just take what you have with you and make sure you know your concise argument. Stay calm, explain your points.

They may very well not turn up despite saying they will defend it. Meaning you will probably win by default. Even if they do show they will need to prove the money they are charging is for reasonable repairs that go beyond fair wear and tear.

Don't sweat about it. Judges tend to side with reasonable tenants in most cases.

I manage some rented properties. If the carpets were not new when you moved in and you have been there 4.5 years we would expect some wear and tear. Burns are difficult as you cannot repair the carpet, only replace it. If the carpet other than the burns is still OK, but the burns mean that it need to be replaced, perhaps £15 is a little low. But if you had been one of my tennants and a good payer I would have let you off other things being equal.

Crack in shed window - ridiculous as is any charge for cleaning an already clean oven. Good luck