House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Should The Queen Issue The Opinion Of No Confidence In Brown?

If the Queen broke with protocol to protect the nation and issued a statement saying she no longer had confidence in her PM/Govt. What effect would it have?

Could such a statement effectively finish Brown?

Where would we stand constitutionally if she withdrew her approval? I know that she asks elected party to form a govt can she ask them or the PM to resign or remove Royal approval?

Could the Queen save the people by calling him incompetent?

AFAIK, yes.

If anyone reading this can get a message to her Maj, pls remind her where her image will be located when fivers become worth less than andrex.

CLUE: It ain't in the velvety mouth of a Labrador puppy.

Furthermore, I am struggling to think of anything, other than this one simple act, that the Royal Family could do to that would make them more popular.

Edited by sbn

IMHO if she/the entire family went crazy the armed forces would switch to the parliamentary side and she would be stripped of her power

However if things were really really bad with government I think the armed forces would stick with her...

The monarch might have a theoretical power to dismiss a prime minister but Parliament has the power to abolish the monarchy too!

What's more SHE is C-in-C of the armed forces.

In which case she is implicated in the decision to send British troops to Iraq, surely. If she was against it, she could have said 'no'. If she was powerless to influence the decision, it highlights the pointlessness of the monarchy.

Edited by blankster

If the Queen broke with protocol to protect the nation and issued a statement saying she no longer had confidence in her PM/Govt. What effect would it have?

Could such a statement effectively finish Brown?

Where would we stand constitutionally if she withdrew her approval? I know that she asks elected party to form a govt can she ask them or the PM to resign or remove Royal approval?

Could the Queen save the people by calling him incompetent?

The thing is the Queen does not break with protocol. Its sort of the core of her existence.

But if it happened could such a statement effectively finish her majesty?

If that happened it would be the beginning of the end of the Monarchy.

FFS. Some unelected German biddy, completely detatched from the reality of anyone else on Earth, dismissing an elected government? ******ing stupid idea.

Its a peculiar idiosyncrasy of our form of govt. I have had this discussion before with friends about us invading, going to war, etc.

The President of the USA is C-in-C of all armed forces as well. Here, it is the Queen and whilst she defers that authority to the Prime Minister, all Armed Forces engagements are effectively carried out with her permission. I wonder if she has ever made a phone call voicing her dissatisfaction with the actions in Iraq or elsewhere? It's possible.

The other thing is that it is called the RAF and RN but just the Army for a reason. The Royal denote different levels of loyalty / authority, I think.

If that happened it would be the beginning of the end of the Government.

FFS. Some unelected Scottish lunatic, completely detatched from the reality of anyone else on Earth, dismissing an 1200 year old Monarchy? ******ing stupid idea.

Fixed <_<

FFS. Some unelected German biddy, completely detatched from the reality of anyone else on Earth, dismissing an elected government? ******ing stupid idea.

Quite right far better to have an unelected pychopath, completely detatched from the reality of anyone else on Earth bankrupting a nation left in charge.

No, she wouldn't have to dismiss the whole govt. Brown had to seek permission to form a govt and she could insist that someone else take over. Being leader of the party with the most seats AND PM don't necessarily have to go together. In times of emergency, members of the House of Lords have become PM by resigning their peerage, e.g. Alec Douglas-Hulme in the 1960s.

The thing is the Queen does not break with protocol. Its sort of the core of her existence.

But if it happened could such a statement effectively finish her majesty?

It would be something beautiful to behold: The Queen using her power one last time, knowing that losing the throne and the death of the Monarchy would be worth it to get rid of the madman at no.10. A great sacrifice of some sort :ph34r::lol:

1. The armed forces swear allegiance to the Monarch. Theoretically this means no government could ever put the army on the streets to keep itself in power undemocratically.

Of course it has never been tested but I have no doubt the joint chiefs would ever allow it. In the same statement I also believe the joint chiefs would never allow the army to be used for a coup no matter how bad things got.

2. It is only within the Monarchs power to dissolve Parliament (this is different from removing a sitting PM). Protocol over the last 400 years or so suggests this only happens if the sitting PM or a coalition of the party leaders (if there was no clear winner at an election) asks for it.

3. We went through a Civil War where the power between the Monarch and Parliament was tested. It established why our system of Government is almost unique across the world. ( I say almost although I am not aware of any other system like ours). The last Monarch that wanted to bugger a sitting PM was Charles 1st. Google what happened to him.

It would be something beautiful to behold: The Queen using her power one last time, knowing that losing the throne and the death of the Monarchy would be worth it to get rid of the madman at no.10. A great sacrifice of some sort :ph34r::lol:

Loyalty to the people that's all we ask.

If you where going to go down in history this is how to do it, saving the nation from a lunatic.

Sometimes I just wish I owned a paper, I would certainly be asking this tomorrow.

Wasn't one of the main points of Magna Carta that the monarch would give up their absolute power in return for being able to retain their wealth and priviliges? That situation still stands, with the wider institution of the monarchy being a sort of state within a state, with key connections to other institutions like the military, to protect it.

Having said all that, the Queen's not a bad old stick!

Edited by blankster

The 5 year election rule means there will be change next year and it will be a miracle if Brown survives..

Ironically in times of National Emergency (such as WW2) some of our best Governments have been of 'National Unity'.

For the youngsters amongst you this also means a coalition Government or one made up of all the best people from all the parties.

They are forced to put party political argument to the side and act in the best interests of the Country.

Take that one statement and apply it to the Bailouts... Would they have happened in such a situation?

I suspect within two years such an emergency will again mean we have to turn to a Coalition Government. Lets hope Brown forms no part of it..........

Anyway, the political future of Gordon Brown is a bit irrelevant. While he can't escape being tied up in what's happened to the economy, he didn't run the banks and other financial institutions, it wasn't his fault that GM and Ford in USA were building the wrong type of vehicles, it wasn't really his fault that our banks got caught in the US sub-prime disaster.

It's a bit like blaming the boss of a food company for a food poisoning outbreak when it was caused by a supermarket not storing the product properly.

Re. coalition governments. Churchill's leadership in WW2 played a big part in Britain not being defeated / invaded by the Nazis. He became Tory Prime Minister again in the 1950's, when he was over 80, and was rather ineffective.

Edited by blankster

Anyway, the political future of Gordon Brown is a bit irrelevant. While he can't escape being tied up in what's happened to the economy, he didn't run the banks and other financial institutions, it wasn't his fault that GM and Ford in USA were building the wrong type of vehicles, it wasn't really his fault that our banks got caught in the US sub-prime disaster.

It's a bit like blaming the boss of a food company for a food poisoning outbreak when it was caused by a supermarket not storing the product properly.

Re. coalition governments. Churchill's leadership in WW2 played a big part in Britain not being defeated / invaded by the Nazis. He was became Tory Prime Minister again in the 1950's, when he was over 80, and was sadly ineffective.

Maybe not all of it but he still played a significant part in determining how bad it will be for us here in the UK.

Lack of regulation when he was Chancellor.

Inability to motivate the FSA to kick some ar$e

Blind to the fact he did not single handedly end boom and bust.

and during all this there were many warnings. His pride and the boom and bust thing meant he took no action.

In the short term it's very unlikely Her Majesty, The Queen, would comment on Brown's incompetence or indeed his insanity. The Generals would have to take over the country first and that may be a year or two down the line. At that time, I would imagine she and the Corgis will address the Nation. Brown would be beheaded of course. The deed would be conducted privately.....in Wembly Stadium... before an audience of 100,000 cheering, flag waving Sheeples. :blink:

The Queen may do what she likes - but issuing such a statement could effectively end the monarchy as we know it. When a similar situation occurred in Australia via the GG in the 1970s, it gave a huge boost to the Republican cause.

That's of course assuming the British could switch off Big Brother or Obama's coronation for long enough to care.

The Queen's power lies more as a political rallying point in the event of a governmental collapse. As previously stated the armed forces (and the police I think?) owe allegiance to the monarch, not her government. Churchill, I believe, had threatened to set up a 'King's Party' in support of Edward VIII in 1936 in an attempt to prevent the Abdication.

Again, it's difficult to see how this might work today, as most people would probably opt for a Jade Goody party in the event of national collapse.

First, Gordon is where he is because of our democratic process, if you do not like it, change it at the ballot box. Second, who would you want in his place? Really? Finally, the Royal family are a useful anachronism, nothing more. If they were allowed any power we would have to ask how a German family, exploiting religeous intolerence and vastly benefiting from inherited wealth should hold that position.

> Should The Queen Issue The Opinion Of No Confidence In Brown?

no confidence in the general british public more like.

it wasnt just BROWN that took out all the debt y'know ;)

what about anne ashworth from the times and the brick chicks ?

First, Gordon is where he is because of our democratic process, if you do not like it, change it at the ballot box. Second, who would you want in his place? Really? Finally, the Royal family are a useful anachronism, nothing more. If they were allowed any power we would have to ask how a German family, exploiting religeous intolerence and vastly benefiting from inherited wealth should hold that position.

Agreed. Carlyle said England was a 'disguised Republic' and someone else said 'if you throw the crown in the gutter, a guttersnipe will pick it up' (referring to Napoleon I think). Constitutional monarchy was Britain's great solution to revolution, whether it is appropriate now I am not so sure, though I still support the institution (though dislike a lot of the hangers on and the 'soap opera' reportage).