House Price Crash Forum

No You Cant Have Your Cash Back!

HOLA441
"Claim under fradulent circumstances" you say. We've been saving hard for years to get ourselves a bigger house with larger garden etc. Why on earth should we be denied benefits because we've tried to improve our circumstances? Should we have just overextended ourselves stupidly and bought years ago - helping to drive HPI? Strangely I thought that the best thing to do is to save and move when we could afford it more comfortably. We now find that if I lose my job our savings will be used against us. I say savings, but are they really - since the outstanding mortgage is larger than our savings but, get this, if you get made redundant and then you try to clear your debts by say paying off a large chunk of your mortgage then the dole office will say that you have deprived yourself of capital and deny you benefits!

Fraudulent circumstances eh? What the hell do you think the Government is doing? Spending our future earnings on bailing out insolvent greedy bankers. They're still sucking up huge bonuses from the taxpayer's money FFS! It's criminal absolutely f***ing criminal! But I should just stand by and pay my taxes and willingly not claim what is rightfully mine while every other f**ker bleeds us dry?

Oh - and I have an allotment already. I would love to get a couple of acres too but round my part of the country there's not much up for sale. Ordinary agricultural land is normally about £10K per acre in this neck of the woods.

Retraining - I am considering it at the moment, but nothing solid yet.

Well technically it would be fraud. To those in power, that's all that counts.

I feel the same rage as you at this messed up system! It's totally bloody unfair on people of modest means that have worked and saved hard for what they have. But, if you get collared for hiding assets, you might be sharing a shower with a fat bloke called Bubba and lose the cash anyway. What the hell to do? I honestly don't know. Knowledge and training can't be taken away or spent (unless they start a compulsory lobotomy program). But on the other hand, the loss of the safety cushion brings a whole load of worry.

Personally, I have always thought of my savings as my key to freedom. Ie) they give me the ability to walk away from a lousy job at anytime should I chose to and kick back for a couple of years and learn something new. I have never exercised that freedom (despite the sucky job), but it's good to know I can survive without the state's largess should the need arise. In this environment, I don't think any of us can rely on that anyway. The rising claims count will surely force a clampdown and tightening of rules. I wouldn't rule out food stamps instead of cash payouts if things carry on worsening.

(B.t.w, I think that (currently) contributions based JSE is paid out regardless of personal assets (for 6 months) but I am not 100% sure about that).

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
I've been doing stuff I've never done in all previous recessions - although my parents did do this during the 70s recession.

Never believed in it - with all the runs on food in the past - some in the 80s - but now I'm stock piling food - slowly, but surely based on offers only. My parents did this in the 70s!!!!

Can't stockpile much as I live in a studio - nice and big - same size as a one bed house previously rented - at hundreds less.

Have also made sure I have a enough in cash such that if a bank did go under - I'd be able to pay all my bills and rent + living costs for at least 1 month. Previously never ever thought of such a thing - and never had more than a few quid in my pocket as I always used cards - so radical for me.

Previously had all money under one bank - now making sure that it's split up but transferring the money is getting a bit silly. Like others here - when you go and ask for it - you're asked if you would step aside and someone comes out to talk you out of taking your own money out.

It's the asking "why do you want this money?", that makes me laugh - "because it's mine!", I said with a smile on my face of unbelief at being asked such a question - and the guy was just furious - accused me of being "aggressive" and said he'd report me to his supervisor.

Presumably, this is because they can use this as an excuse for being bullied by a customer and then do something nasty to you - oh, like keep your money!!!

Oh dear - it went through my head - no not aggressive - this is irony - but bit my tongue and said - back dated rent I owe and I could be evicted - got it immediately.

Don't owe anything to anyone - but that seemed like a guaranteed cert - and it worked.

Yep, unbelievable. I had the same, all though I was taking £20k out. They really do seem to think the money is actually theirs.

I had to remind him quite forcefully that it was my money, not his and that I was not obliged to tell him what I spent my money on.

HOLA443
Knowledge and training can't be taken away or spent (unless they start a compulsory lobotomy program).

Why does "Year zero" spring to mind?

But on the other hand, the loss of the safety cushion brings a whole load of worry.

Not losing the safety cushion, just hiding it from greedy Government thieves.

Personally, I have always thought of my savings as my key to freedom. Ie) they give me the ability to walk away from a lousy job at anytime should I chose to and kick back for a couple of years and learn something new. I have never exercised that freedom (despite the sucky job), but it's good to know I can survive without the state's largess should the need arise. In this environment, I don't think any of us can rely on that anyway. The rising claims count will surely force a clampdown and tightening of rules. I wouldn't rule out food stamps instead of cash payouts if things carry on worsening.

Agreed. I've been much braver in my job and stood my ground against numerous attempts to get me to work unpaid overtime and unsocial hours etc. I've been in the situation where my entire wealth would fit in a jam jar of coins and hence we've lived fairly frugally and saved £50K over the last decade so get where we are now. I don't intend going back to the jam jar scenario because of greedy bankers and financially incontinent people.

(B.t.w, I think that (currently) contributions based JSE is paid out regardless of personal assets (for 6 months) but I am not 100% sure about that).

Yep. You get £60.50 for 6 months. Then zilch. Generous isn't it.

What to do? I really don't know. Massive inflation destroying our hard earned savings scares me / makes me angry. This money represents hard work and sacrifice and now we're supposed to stand by and let it be stolen? :angry: :angry: :angry:

Edited by youthoftoday

HOLA444

I'm not a high roller like some of you, but recently I've taken to spending day to day on my credit card and then paying it in full by withdrawing cash from my bank account. Usually it's £500-600 a month but I've done two withdrawals of £1800 and £1100 from Barclays with no advance notice and no questions asked. The second time, just before Christmas (for the £1100), the cashier started to say something about it being over their limit- but then looked at my details on the screen and promptly clammed up.

I don't know if that's because I'm fool enough to pay the £12.50 a month for an Additions account, or whether it was the fact that the withdrawal would take me into my overdraft so they could carry on making money out of me for a bit longer ;) .

I didn't enjoy walking the 400 yards from the bank to the building society with over a grand in my pocket, I must say :o .

HOLA445
Fraudulent circumstances eh? What the hell do you think the Government is doing? Spending our future earnings on bailing out insolvent greedy bankers. They're still sucking up huge bonuses from the taxpayer's money FFS! It's criminal absolutely f***ing criminal! But I should just stand by and pay my taxes and willingly not claim what is rightfully mine while every other f**ker bleeds us dry?

just consider it "taking your savings off the book."

if it's fair and legal for the banks and government, surely they would want you to benefit in the same manner?

HOLA446
HOLA447
I'm not a high roller like some of you, but recently I've taken to spending day to day on my credit card and then paying it in full by withdrawing cash from my bank account. Usually it's £500-600 a month but I've done two withdrawals of £1800 and £1100 from Barclays with no advance notice and no questions asked. The second time, just before Christmas (for the £1100), the cashier started to say something about it being over their limit- but then looked at my details on the screen and promptly clammed up.

I don't know if that's because I'm fool enough to pay the £12.50 a month for an Additions account, or whether it was the fact that the withdrawal would take me into my overdraft so they could carry on making money out of me for a bit longer ;) .

I didn't enjoy walking the 400 yards from the bank to the building society with over a grand in my pocket, I must say :o .

Why don't you just use electronic banking and do the transfer that way? Dead easy.

Or write a cheque and pay by post? Not as convenient as eBanking but still really easy.

Or if you really feel compelled to do it the inconvenient way and pay a visit to your bank, just have the money transferred from your account to the credit card account when you are at the counter? At the end of the day, it's just an account transfer.

You seem determined to pay the CC in the most inconvenient way possible.

HOLA448
Why don't you just use electronic banking and do the transfer that way? Dead easy.

Or write a cheque and pay by post? Not as convenient as eBanking but still really easy.

Or if you really feel compelled to do it the inconvenient way and pay a visit to your bank, just have the money transferred from your account to the credit card account when you are at the counter? At the end of the day, it's just an account transfer.

You seem determined to pay the CC in the most inconvenient way possible.

Sooner or later I'll set up a direct debit to pay it off in full every month- I just keep losing the form :rolleyes: .