House Price Crash Forum

Croft Racing Circuit Facing Closure

Monkey

HOLA441

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/news/default.asp?storyId=19253

Organisers at Croft circuit, near Darlington, fear that if a recent court decision is not overturned, the famous circuit could soon face closure.

A family living next to the track reportedly won a case forcing Croft's owners to pay £150,000 compensation, as well as an estimated £700,000 in legal costs. The damages were apparently for loss of quality of life that the family's barristers claimed had been caused by the noise of cars on the circuit.

Interestingly, the complaint was not about organised race events, which only take place on approximately 50 days each year, but instead regarded vehicle testing days and open track days.

Organisers at Croft fear that if this decision is upheld, many similar cases will follow, and the financial blow could prove fatal. An appeal against the decision was heard last week at the Court of Appeal in London, but as yet no decision has been reached.

Meanwhile, the family concerned also attempted to gain an injunction restricting activity at Croft to just 40 days-per-year. The judge is said to have refused this request, but the claimants are cross-appealing this decision.

Croft circuit grew out of a disused RAF base first raced on in the 1920s, before being used by the airforce again in World War 2. Since then it has grown into an world-famous racing circuit, hosting various club events, as well as British Touring Car Championship and British Superbike Championship rounds.

The circuit generates an estimated £3m a year for the local economy, with its visitors bringing activity to local businesses.

Dennis Carter, director of organising body Croft-Promo-Sport, told The Northern Echo: 'Our future really depends on what the court decides. I do not want to sound too alarmist because I would like to think we can still find a way through this. The people at Croft do a fantastic job for us and I would really like it to continue.'

this sort of thing really pisses me off, i am slight biased being a racing fan, but if you dont like noise then dont move next to a race circuit. the circiut has been there for 80 years plus, i bet this family hasnt been there for that long

it sounds like the family are trying ot get another cash injection rather than to improve their life, greedy bastids

HOLA442
HOLA443

I did the only track day for bikes at Thurleigh great track loads of potential. The organisers said no race pipes. But the to55ers insisted on using them. There was a meeting, the to55ers started shouting and moaning. The were no more track days there, all thanks to the tribe of w4nkers. :angry:

HOLA444
http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/news/default.asp?storyId=19253

this sort of thing really pisses me off, i am slight biased being a racing fan, but if you dont like noise then dont move next to a race circuit. the circiut has been there for 80 years plus, i bet this family hasnt been there for that long

They bought the place in 1989 when there was virtually no racing activity except for Rallycross on less than 10 days a year and a small amount of engine testing. It's wasn't until 1994 that the circuit ownwers applied for permission to have more race days.

The headline is just more journalistic sensationalism; they don't want to close the place, just to restrict the activities a bit, especially the nosier ones.

HOLA445
I did the only track day for bikes at Thurleigh great track loads of potential. The organisers said no race pipes. But the to55ers insisted on using them. There was a meeting, the to55ers started shouting and moaning. The were no more track days there, all thanks to the tribe of w4nkers. :angry:

That's just bad management and control though. If people are doing things on your land that you say they can't then chuck them off.

HOLA446
They bought the place in 1989 when there was virtually no racing activity except for Rallycross on less than 10 days a year and a small amount of engine testing. It's wasn't until 1994 that the circuit ownwers applied for permission to have more race days.

Yep, I used to live fairly close to Croft in the 80s and it wasn't active at all.

Archived