Fiat To Buy 35% Of Chrysler

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

From TalkingMotors.com

Chrysler and Fiat are in talks over a potential partnership, Fiat's vice chairman John Elkann has confirmed.

The deal would not involve any cash investment.

Instead Fiat would provide the struggling American company with technology enabling it to build a range of more compact vehicles.

In return, Fiat would secure a stake in Chrysler, which is controlled by private equity firm Cerberus.

Last month Fiat's chief executive Sergio Marchionne said the company was too small and needed to team up with another carmaker to ensure survival through the economic crisis.

Fiat has been looking for a foothold in North America for awhile, having held talks with Ford about a partnership in the past.

HOLA447
HOLA448

So now they'll rust to buggery and refuse to go round corners at speed.

Great!

I just bought a 1998 Audi A8 (2.9) from a reliable middle class man who owned it for 6 years and maintained it very well. I paid £1000.

In fact last year he spent £1000 on a new fuel pump from Audi. That was just the price of the part!

Figure whatever happens I cannot lose as you can break it for spare parts for far more than it is worth.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Fiat have improved a lot over the years. A reputation for rust is hard to shake off, as other posts show, they have used galvanised bodies since the Punto was introduced.

IMHO, A BIG mistake buying a stake in Chrysler. Trying to get themselves a world image maybe, but Chrysler cars have been very unpopular, generally in Europe. Must have been a big incentive. Chance to restructure debt?

Edited by deflation

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

The old stories of Fiats rusting and falling to bits just are not true any more - but its a hard image to shake off.

Every car maker has had its rust problem.......

Was not too long ago that a 5 or 6 year old car, if treated badly, could fail its MOT becuase of rust, now that just doesnt happen!

Trouble is, perception is a hard thing to overcome.

Look at the french manufacturers, Renault particulary, they have a real bad press for breaking down yet the current models are ahead of Toyota and VW in terms of reliability - but it will take YEARS before that becomes the mindset of people.

Audi did a great job of turning their brand around from being shite, to what it is now (even if they are driven mostly by knobbers)

HOLA4416
Look at the french manufacturers, Renault particulary, they have a real bad press for breaking down yet the current models are ahead of Toyota and VW in terms of reliability - but it will take YEARS before that becomes the mindset of people.

Surely the annual JD Power Survey, which usually has Renault down the bottom in terms of reliability, says different?

HOLA4417
Surely the annual JD Power Survey, which usually has Renault down the bottom in terms of reliability, says different?

JD Power survey only surveys older cars (cars that are over 3 years old I think) , and is based on driver perception rather than actual statistics - however, Renault and Citroen have started to make gains.

The ADAC survey (German company like the AA) reports on breakdowns and Renault and Citroen have both faired much better after commiting to improving their quality from being totally crap (around 2000-2004/5) to near the top of each segment.

Quote:

Several Renault models are already in the Top 3 of their category for quality : after Modus, it was the turn of Clio III to take its place among the best of its category.

The latest results published by JD Power CSI 2006 place Clio and Espace in the top three of their segment, and the latest results published by Pannenstatistik ADAC (Germany) are very encouraging (Modus 3rd, Scenic 1st, a marked quality improvement for Laguna II).

HOLA4418
Several Renault models are already in the Top 3 of their category for quality : after Modus, it was the turn of Clio III to take its place among the best of its category.

The latest results published by JD Power CSI 2006 place Clio and Espace in the top three of their segment, and the latest results published by Pannenstatistik ADAC (Germany) are very encouraging (Modus 3rd, Scenic 1st, a marked quality improvement for Laguna II).

I know a guy who worked at a Renault dealer and he said that after the initial combining wih Nissan, parts / designs were shared to save costs. Nissan were well p****d off because it dragged their overall quality down. The only good Renault prior to 2005 in his opinion, was the Clio.

They have worked really hard at quality, and the new Laguna is apparently a big improvement. Time will tell.

HOLA4419
I know a guy who worked at a Renault dealer and he said that after the initial combining wih Nissan, parts / designs were shared to save costs. Nissan were well p****d off because it dragged their overall quality down. The only good Renault prior to 2005 in his opinion, was the Clio.

They have worked really hard at quality, and the new Laguna is apparently a big improvement. Time will tell.

I think I will let others take the risk on Renault.

I have not been impressed with any Nissans since they partnered with Renault. The pre-partnership Micra was a great little car.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422