House Price Crash Forum
mdj101

Energy Performance Certificate

Hi All

We have rented the same property for just over 3 years and our current contract doesn't end until December.

I have today received a letter from a company about carrying out and energy performance survey.

My worry is that the landlord is getting ready to sell from under us.

Now I know that it was compulsory to have an EPC from October last year for new rentals, but does this include renewals?

Thanks in advance.

We had an argument with our LA about having an EPC in October. They insist that each year we have an entirely new tenancy, so we argued we should get an EPC.

I contacted Shelter - they weren't sure and said that the way the legislation is written it is not entirely clear what constitutes re-letting. If we wanted to take it further we could be part of building up the 'case law' in this field. We didn't fancy it.

Anyway, the EPC lasts for nearly ever, so if the LL wants to get it done now rather than later they might as well.

So, it could be nothing to worry about. They might want to have the EPC in place in case YOU up sticks quickly and they want to avoid a void.

It's probably worth asking them. You never know, they might tell you.

Edited by redwing

Thanks redwing

When I phoned to book the appointment I asked and she just said that as of last year it was a legal requirement so they are just advising all landlords to get them done.

A new EPC is required whenever a new tenancy agreement is signed, irrespective of whether the tenants were already in occupation. This is the information I've been given by the National Landlords Association.

No EPC is needed for lodgers, as the EPC is only associated with tenancy agreements.

EPCs are a total waste of time and money: they tell you nothing you can't see with your own eyes. Tenants would be far better advised to ask to see the bills actually paid by the last tenant, except often even the landlord doesn't know this due to idiotic "data protection" if the bills were in the name of the tenant.

My landlord had this done too despite not needing it yet.

I figured he may have decided that when i serve notice it saves him having to worry about having it done or the letting agents are on some sort of commission arrangement and are encouraging LLs to have them done.

Didn't get to see a copy of it though now i think about it.

EPCs are a total waste of time and money: they tell you nothing you can't see with your own eyes.

I disagree. The effect is on landlords, who are more likely to appreciate the value of energy-efficiency with the highly-visible effect on their properties. Especially when they're faced with voids or rental drops.

Tenants would be far better advised to ask to see the bills actually paid by the last tenant.

Up to a point, lord copper. But that also depends on a tenant's lifestyle: whether they heat a place to the temperatures they complain of as too hot in summer, or wear a pullover at this time of year.

Hi All

We have rented the same property for just over 3 years and our current contract doesn't end until December.

I have today received a letter from a company about carrying out and energy performance survey.

My worry is that the landlord is getting ready to sell from under us.

Now I know that it was compulsory to have an EPC from October last year for new rentals, but does this include renewals?

Thanks in advance.

Hi

Sorry to say (unusually) some of the replies you have received are inaccurate!

There is no compulsion for the LL to get an EPC carried out in this situation. They may just want to get it over with or may have got a good deal on price. I doubt that they are selling up as it would make no sense to get it done now if they were as it's only valid for 3 years for house sales (we all know that some houses might well be on the maket for 3 years at these prices).

It is only required when a tenant leaves or when a property is re-marketed. An EPC is valid for a rental property for 10 years.

Edited by LettingsLady

I only came across this recently - having rented for over 30 years - in multiple countries - and it was through my brother - as I went on a viewing of one of his properties recently.

He came up with one of these Energy Perf Certs - and I was totally mystified - I'd never heard of such a think rental wise - and he's a btl - but he is passionate about doing it because he believes that the govt aren't providing the properties - and he has to step in - bit bizarre I know - but he's a little bit like a charity - doesn't always make a profit - and believes that he won't see one for over 20 years in any case at the earliest - and is doing it for his kids - not him.

If I had one of those - my studio - which costs £300 a quarter to heat - would be out of the running.

When it was brought in - he automatically did it for all his tenants - because all of his properties he rennovates - and puts in insulation and special heating - so that it doesn't cost an arm and a leg - plus having rented himself for years - just believes that this is what tenants should be given up front - he's done it for people who've rented for years and years - and also sought their advice on what they pay for their fuel bills - and then bless him, improved things insulation wise so they will have to pay less.

Okay - it's in his interest - but he's now thinking about solar panels when he rennovates to rent - and then hooking up so that he can look at wind turbines - it's cost him so much up front - which he doesn't have - he is a bit of a charity - but he's looking at it long-term - and also rennovating gravelled fronts - into green gardens - and alternative ways of providing parking for flats that can't find off street parking.

There are some landlords out there looking at this stuff - shame I'm so far away from where he rents out and can't benefit.